Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2006, 04:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I had to leave my MH in Western NC for a few weeks. High temps ranged from mid 30s to low 50s and low temps from the mid 20s mid 30s. No real prolonged hard freeze.

My MH was plugged into electric and I had the main furnace set to electric @68 and the rear (propane furnace) turned off. When I returned today I found the MH cold at 47 degrees and my propane tank empty. The frig runs on electric and the water heater was off.

It warmed up to about 40 today but the heat pump refused to start.

Does the TrueAir system ignore the switch settings and start the propane side below a certain temp? Should the heat pump been able to handle the temps listed above?
Old 02-19-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I had to leave my MH in Western NC for a few weeks. High temps ranged from mid 30s to low 50s and low temps from the mid 20s mid 30s. No real prolonged hard freeze.

My MH was plugged into electric and I had the main furnace set to electric @68 and the rear (propane furnace) turned off. When I returned today I found the MH cold at 47 degrees and my propane tank empty. The frig runs on electric and the water heater was off.

It warmed up to about 40 today but the heat pump refused to start.

Does the TrueAir system ignore the switch settings and start the propane side below a certain temp? Should the heat pump been able to handle the temps listed above?
Old 02-19-2006, 04:45 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

My heat pump switches to LP at about 38 to 36 degrees. It will then switch back to elec (heat pump) mode at about 40 deg as the outside temp warms up in the AM. Sounds like the temps were low enuf to run you out of LP.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 04:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The heat pump won't run below, say 40-42 degrees or so. If the heat pump can't keep up with the temperature request while in electric heat mode (a five degree differential between set and room temp), then the propane furnace kicks in. So once your thermostat read 63 degrees, the propane furnace should turn on.

My guess is that since you were out of propane, the heat pump rarely worked and you were on propane most of the time, but apparently the heat pump came on enough to keep your coach from being a frozen confection (or you just ran out of propane.)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:10 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for this thread. We noticed that ours does not switch over from elect to gas automatically. We realize this when we find it is VERY cold . Is there something we are not doing?
Old 02-20-2006, 02:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Belgique:
Thanks for this thread. We noticed that ours does not switch over from elect to gas automatically. We realize this when we find it is VERY cold . Is there something we are not doing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Perhaps you are not letting the five degree differential happen between set and actual?

I have found the five degree differential to be too great for my taste. We usually set the temp at 73 or 74 degrees; this means the propane furnace is not going to start until the coach is at 68 or 69 degrees. By that time I am too cold and I get up and manually change to propane.

I assume that all Winnie basement ACs & heat pumps operate the same. If yours doesn't switch over and you have seen the five degree difference, perhaps your thermostat is defective.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Belgique:
Thanks for this thread. We noticed that ours does not switch over from elect to gas automatically. We realize this when we find it is VERY cold . Is there something we are not doing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just dealt with that issue on my rig. My gas furnace would not automatically switch on when heat pump could not maintain temp. I replaced the RVP Thermostat and cured it. We gave it a good test this past weekend in temps down to 16 one night. As John stated, we don't like to wait for the coach temp to drop 5 degrees in the electric heat position for the gas furnace to come on. When temps drop below 35 - 40, I just manually switch to gas heat. Love that heat pump when it can do its thing, though.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:29 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

John/SMLranger: where can you get the thermostats? Steve
Old 02-20-2006, 03:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

John/SMLranger: where can you get the thermostats? Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got mine at a Winnebago dealer in Myrtle Beach....$145 If I had been home when I needed it, I would have checked with Winnebagoparts.com or Lichtsinn in Forest City.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:38 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Lichtsinn.com 800-345-6255

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 07:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I too love the performance of the heat pumps when they can be used - HOWEVER, I've noticed that they're a bit noisy when we're trying to sleep at night since the a/c units are located at the rear of our unit. Anyone else find their heat pumps a little on the loud side when trying to sleep?

1997 Honda Civic TOAD
Tweke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tweke:
I too love the performance of the heat pumps when they can be used - HOWEVER, I've noticed that they're a bit noisy when we're trying to sleep at night since the a/c units are located at the rear of our unit. Anyone else find their heat pumps a little on the loud side when trying to sleep? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a bit noisy for sure but we got used to it. Actually, the gas furnace is not a lot more quiet on our rig. It moves a lot of air.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:13 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
It's a bit noisy for sure but we got used to it. Actually, the gas furnace is not a lot more quiet on our rig. It moves a lot of air. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah and from the confession you made in the propane forum,the air isn't always fit to breath!!

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote