Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2016, 08:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Heat Ducting

I have a 2003 Journey DL. I have both a gas furnace and ducted air/heat pump. The placement of the floor heat vents for the furnace seems happenstance to me. Too many near the rear of the rig and not enough in the front. The heat draws to the rear so while the front is cool/cold the back gets really hot. In addition, there is no vent in the toilet area while there is a vent for the ducted AC/Heatpump.

Recently I cleaned out the floor ducts with a vent cleaning brush. I expected the floor duct to be fairly narrow and the brush to feed easily through the duct. What I actually found was a fairly wide duct. Not sure how wide or if it's consistent width throughout the rig.

If it were possible I'd really like to have a furnace vent in the toilet. That seat gets REALLY cold in the winter with no direct heat venting. Does anyone know how wide these ducts are? Is it possible to add a duct in the toilet area?
lpasekof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

lpasekof, we had a 2003 Journey 36DL LD with no gas heat in the stool area. In 2004 Winnebago added a heat vent in the wall. I have a good contact at Winnebago and he sent be the drawings and parts to add the vent which I did. If you will PM me with your email address I will send you the documents and pictures.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:42 PM   #3

Terrible! RV Designer probably hadn't camped a day in his/her life.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

https://www.amazon.com/Warm-n-Comfy-.../dp/B00483K36G

We use this warm toilet seat cover in the RV and home.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The duct that runs down the middle is about 14 in wide.

I have another solution......travel south for the winter!
Old 12-24-2016, 09:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Bill: The last time we met, you swore you quit drinking and the Comedy Club was shut down.

Obviously one of those is not true.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

There's a heat vent on the floor around 12" from the BR door in my '02 Journey. And a wide gap under the door. I think it would be possible with one of those vent deflectors to get some extra heat in there.

At least I think that would give some time until you have something else worked out. Also, is there some reason you can't use the electric heat? My DL has a ceiling vent in the BR...which only works when the heat pump is on (electric heat).

BTW, I'm down here in Mexico and expected nice warm air and plenty of sunshine like last year here in San Felipe on the Sea of Cortez. Not this year. I have two electric heaters going to stay warm.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat