Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2018, 09:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Have you found a stain to match interior wood trim?

...I'm having a '— of a time' finding a stain that comes close. I have both Varathane and Minwax ...three colors. None match.

I need to put in a new back wall because I added some wiring thru the rear cap that is exposed. I also wanted to rid myself of that dreadful fan-shaped, headboard thingy...

I have Oak ply and trim to make a new headboard, but cannot get the color correct. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Jim

..the shelf shows the color
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shelf2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	170506  
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have the same cabinets, made a cabinet for my new flatscreen TVs and this was the perfect staying purchased at Lowe’s hardware. Minwax would finish penetrating stain (Natural 209) Hope this helps��
Jpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

WBGO uses a fair bit of mixed stains to achieve colors. Someone posted that they called and got the formula for their particular stain. Please give it a try.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

We've not seen every rig out there, but we have seen a lot. Lv2 is right on the stain mix. Most we've seen are like ours, a stain with a semi-transparent glaze applied over. Our cabinets are called Sierra Maple. Turns out to be a maple stain over maple wood with a coffee glaze. As a serious amateur woodworker, it is not really my esthetic. Believe it detracts from the natural beauty of the wood grain. However.....

We removed our dining booth and built a credenza (for lack of better description) to replace it. Built it of poplar for grain match. And to save weight. At that point the art came in. We found that Minwax Hickory stain with a little Minwax Red Mahogany (3 tbls mahog to 1 qt hickory) over poplar was a dead on match for the OEM Sierra Maple.

Had we chosen maple, or cherry, the recipe would have been different.

Point being, you'll have to mix your own stain out of two or more colors. Just keep your colors from the same mfg and type. Have many little wood scraps to practice on.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Another thought. From your picture, I would opine that you have something similar to Minwax Golden Oak over oak wood. (Does my preference for Minwax show?)

A complicating factor in matching wood colors is that no finish is impervious to the effects of UV. Even the new catalized finishes only slow the effects. So if you build something new today, you might want your color to be a touch light in anticipation of UV darkening over time. Thus, the "art".

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I had a stain matched up by Sherwin Williams for my coach. Took a original piece in and they did a decent match on Soft Maple. I'm going to try out Oldchinahand's recipe on the poplar. Would save me .7lb per board foot. Soft Maple weights 3.9lbs/bf and polar weighs 3.2lbs/bf.

Thanks