Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Have to use booster switch to start gen Why?

Hi folks,

New to me is my 2001 Suncrusiser 32V that I just purchased and already have my first question of what I am sure will be many and that being how to start the gen set.

I try starting it at the “One Place” system panel or the start switch on the dash and it just clicks, but no start. Then from the dash area I do the same start switch and the booster switch together and it starts. What is wrong and why do I have to use the two switches at the same time. I get a reading of about 12.6 volts at the One System panel on house batteries.

Another question is about the volts, and how low should they be allowed to go before charging is required?

Thanks
Evan
doit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We have four U-2200 6 volt deep cycle Interstate batteries. I regularly see 11.9 volts in the morning. That's about as low as I'd go though. They lasted 9˝ years as did our chassis batteries and were still getting us through the night.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:36 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

You needed to use the booster switch, to tie in the chassis batteries when starting the generator because the coach batteries didn't have enough amps to turn it over.

You may have had 12.5v, but the batteries could be on their last legs and the amps are not there. Or you could have some bad connections on the batteries or the generator, or a bad chassis ground connection.

If the batteries charge up, and test ok, then start looking at your connections.

When I had a similar problem on my previous RV, the coach batteries would not hold a charge for long. We would drive to a campground, batteries would charge up while we were parked over the weekend, but after a few weeks, ready to go on another weekend trip, the batteries would be down. A couple of new CostCo batteries solved the problem.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

On most rigs the house batteries not the chassis batteries start the generator.....Start your engine so the alternator charges the house batteries and then try starting the genny with the engine running.....If that works have your house batteries checked...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

It definitely sounds like a loose or corroded connection on the house battery.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

How do I check to see if the " AMP "s are there? I just bought this coach May 16th, the last owner replaced the house batteries about a year ago, with Costco's batteries.
thanks again
Evan
Old 05-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Any local parts store can check them or maybe lend you the load tester....
Old 05-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Some MHs (like mine) use the chassis batt for the genny. So it could be your chassis batt was low. Very common problem with coaches who's system don't keep the chassis batt charged. Of course if you can start the engine when the genny doesn't, your problem lies as previously discussed.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Do you have the coach disconnect switch ON? It has to be ON to start the Generator. Actually, it needs to be ON to even get power to the Generator via the Chassis battery.

PDF page 2 of http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2001/131748.pdf

Wiring diagram TOC for IPG32V: Table of Contents

If House Disconnect is ON, One Place Battery says you have 12.6VDC at House, and you can only get power to Generator via Boost, then you most likly have a bad or loose connection in the house battery wiring. Could be on either positive or negative leg.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

A battery can show 12.6 volts, but the way to really tell the condition of it is to put it under load...Watch your One Place panel while you start the genny (or use a voltmeter) and watch what the voltage drops to...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Just had simuliar problem "Dave 78 chief" nailed it. I had the house batteries switched off!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I will follow up on some of the suggestion given, I am not really into volts and amps, but will do what I can and get back to all when I next get back to my motorhome on June 6th. I think I will have a parts house check them for me first, one that sells batteries and see what they can tell me. May be a good idea to invest in a good volt meter.
Thanks Again
ESW
Old 05-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

If you have a battery switch (to turn off the house batteries), try turning this switch on and off a few times. This switch keys a relay that switches the house batteries on-off. I had a problem in the past with voltage drop across this relay which prevented my generator from starting. The relay can develop oxidation that will create a voltage drop when under load (generator attempting to start). This is due to inactivity. Cycling the relay contacts may burn off some of the oxidation allowing the Generator to start! Good Luck // John
Old 05-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
Do you have the coach disconnect switch ON? It has to be ON to start the Generator. Actually, it needs to be ON to even get power to the Generator via the Chassis battery.

PDF page 2 of http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2001/131748.pdf

Wiring diagram TOC for IPG32V: Table of Contents

If House Disconnect is ON, One Place Battery says you have 12.6VDC at House, and you can only get power to Generator via Boost, then you most likly have a bad or loose connection in the house battery wiring. Could be on either positive or negative leg.

Dave
We just figured this out this week, thanks, you are so right!
BarbRN is offline   Reply With Quote