Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone weighed axles on a 30B Itasca?

'Finally weighed my axles on my 08 30B and got a shock: almost 1000 lbs over the max rating for the rear axle. Front axle under the rated max.

Here are the relevant specs:

400 lb on trailer hitch (rated for 500 lb)
full tank of gas
1/4 tank of water
empty gray and black tanks
nothing heavy stored in/near the rear
2 light people in front seats

weighed at Flying J

There is nothing heavy (e.g. over 25 lbs that I can move forward).

This seems to suggest that when the vehicle was new, unloaded but with gas and water tanks full, it was already at or over the max limit for the rear axle with nothing on the trailer hitch.

Any specifics are much appreciated.
Invent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Does not surprise me. They load the heck out of that chassis. We had a Minnie Winnie DL, 30 A (no slides) and with us on board, a week worth of supplies, 1/4 tank fresh water, empty waste tanks, full fuel, we were at 13,950#...only 100# away from the max. The rear axle was at max rating. Any additional water, put us over.

The hitch load and water are contributing close to 500# of your overload. I would contact Winnebago and let them know your concerns. They will want to know your totally empty weights.

Ken
Old 08-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

400 LBS ON A hitch seems like alot. Quickest way to get weight off your rear axle is to look at lightening the tongue weight of whatever your pulling. There is some significant geomerty coming in to play when you add that much weight that far behind the rear axle.

Nexus Ghost
richf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Ken,

Thanks for the specifc info from your experience. It lends credence to my fear that the RV was built with a rear weight near the max limit. And this may mean that it is over the max limit with any weight on the tongue - which means it can't tow anything.

It has always bothered me that manufacturers won't give info about the actual weights on the wheels on the new RV's they build. The options argument is thin, they could supply the weights for a no-option and a fully-optioned to at least give the customer a range. Or they could weigh it before it is shipped - 10 minutes max on a vehicle that costs over six digits shouldn't be a problem.

As to lightening the tongue weight, 200 lbs less would take about 330 lbs off the rear axle. I'd have to have zero weight on the tongue and tie a giant helium filled baloon to it to get down to the maximum rear axle weight.

Thanks for the input,

John
Old 08-27-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Maybe you need to fill the fresh water tank helium.....just a thought!

Ken
Old 08-27-2009, 09:26 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Wow, a 1000 lbs. over is really shocking. Just for the hell of it get a second opinion. Take it somewhere else and get it weighed. Just a thought. If it were me I'd want to be 110% sure.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Yeah, get it weighed somewhere else just to be sure, AND, I would weigh it both WITH and WITHOUT that 400 lb on the hitch just to see what the difference it. It definitely puts more than 400bl on the axle, AND it takes weight off the front axle.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Your input has been enlightening and helpful. Yes, I will get it weighed again, and will do it without the hitch weight. I'd like to weigh each corner individually but not sure where to do this. The RV is in Albuquerque but we'll take it up to Durango, and eventually to Austin for the winter.

The Blue Ox site formula indicates that, on my rig, every 100 lbs at the hitch increases the weight on the rear axle by about 160 lbs.

Fortunately even at 1000 lbs over max, it's still under the tire max and the overall max GVR for the Ford chassis (but not the Workhorse). So I hope there's an engineering safety factor on the axle bearings and springs.

Thanks for the feedback,

John
Old 08-28-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Let's hope that the Firestone Steeltex 4RS or R4S are still not in use on those coaches. I would not venture on the road with them on the coach.

Ken
Old 08-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Your weights seem high to me also. I have a 2005 30B. I weighed mine at a Cat scale. Front was 5680. Rear was 10540. Total was 16220. On board when weighed were two people and small dog, two boxes of firewood, full gas tank, 25 gals water,one third propane, tow bar, air compressor, handicap scotter, grill, chairs, cleaning supplies, etc. Lets hope your re-weigh gives better results. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Becks,

Thanks for the very detailed info, it's quite a help.

Winnie specs list the max at my rear axle at 11,000 (Ford chassis). 400 lbs at the hitch on yours would add about 660 on the rear axle but that still is only 200 over max (if your max is 11,000 also).

In either case, it looks like with a light to normal load the 30B can't handle the hitches weight limit (500 lbs) on a Ford chassis. This would mean an owner can't safely have a motorcycle rack on the back. Wish I knew this when I bought it.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Sorry to hear that Invent1. Is a trailer an option?

Maybe as a last resort call winne and tell them your predicament. You lose nothing by trying. Good luck.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:52 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks.

I will call Winnie and will re-weigh but I'm beginning to fear the worst: that the 30B - Ford chassis design will be over the max weight on the rear axle with modest weight on the hitch - even when the coach is lightly loaded.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I called Winnie and found the bad news: the 30B - Ford chassis design can be over the max weight on the rear axle with modest weight on the hitch - even when the coach is lightly loaded.

They had a weight for one of first production model 30B Fords. With fresh water tank full, fuel tank full and a driver, it was 10,120 lbs on the rear axle. This is only 880 lbs from the rated max. Because weight placed behind the rear axle (which includes the big rear storage compartment and 3 side compartments) increases the weight on the rear axle by a factor of as much as 1.7, this means the rear axle can be overloaded with just several hundred pounds of combined stored items and hitch weight.

I wish the fact that the 30B-Ford chassis is so near max unloaded was published in the Winnie lit, I would have opted for the Workhorse chassis. Well, I guess it's a lesson for anyone buying an RV.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2003 30 B and have 37,000 miles on it I tow a Trailblazer that is close to 5,000 pounds 4,750 with a half of tank of gas in the Blazer. I travel with about 1/2 tank of water . I have a Roadmaster tow package and have the rear storage filled with out side recliners. When the gas tank is full it does come down some but not that much. I have not had any problems in towing about 18,000 miles. I could be over weight but I tow 4 down so not that much hitch weight. I bowered a buddies tow dolly once . Now that weight realy droped the rear end and it was not fun driving it. That was when I went with Roadmaster with the even break.
ct78barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:16 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2004 30B and I weigh in at 90% of rating on both axles when typically loaded going out on a trip. Now I have the Workhorse P30 chassis. I don't think a 2008 has the Workhorse P30.
Art D is offline   Reply With Quote