Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Has anybody had any luck with windshield repairs?

I have about five rock chips in my windshield and I am afraid that one or more may develop into a crack. I am thinking of taking the coach to a glass shop and having them do a resin repair on all of the chips. I'm just wondering if this is a good solution?
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

stvscharfe,
Do yourself a favor, GET THOSE CHIPS REPAIRED ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!! I've had the unfortunate chance of twice having chips in an otherwise, flawless windshield. The first was out in the middle of no where and a truck going the opposite direction, flipped a rock and chipped the drivers side just in the shaded area towards the top. When we were camping two days later, there was a company replacing a windshield in the campground where where we were staying at the time.

I stopped by and asked if they repaired chips. Yep, they said and sent the female supervisor over to our rig. She looked at it and said, $50.00 and that I would not notice the chip when she was done. I said go for it. Well, she was absolutely correct. That chip, a fair sized one, all but disappeared.

Well, I picked up another chip, a few months later, very close to the plastic fascia on the passenger side. Well, I procrastinated and dwelled on buying a chip repair kit and doing it myself. I did that for three weeks. The day I was going to cruise on over to the auto parts store and pick up the most highly reviewed repair kit, I walked out to get something out of the motor home and that chip, had turned into a crack, and had traveled about 13" in one night. And, no one was ever near that motor home.

So, I was so displeased with myself for dragging this situation out, I was sick. I immediately thought well, here comes a $1000.00 bill for a new windshield. Well, it was suggested either here or on another forum to have that "crack" repaired. I was not aware they could do that. So, I called a local shop, semi-close to where we live, and asked about it. They said they can almost make the crack disappear and, that they guaranteed it will not travel. The cost, $100.00 and that was for travel time too.

So, I let them come up and do the fix, at our home. He was there over an hour and, all I can say is, YES!!!!!! You can barely see the crack, and it has not traveled at all, and that was months ago.

So, my point, pick your repair company, most are good, you can do it yourself because they have some very good quality kits out there with very detailed instructions. But, DO IT SOON. The reason, like stated, it can turn into a crack, at any time, and, the longer you wait, the more contaminated the chips become and the repair quality is compromised.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Chips

I agree, do it fast or it may well spread.
Good to know you can also do a crack.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Had a fair sized chip in van ws. Procrastinated and a drive down a lumpy, bumpy, rocky road cost me a new ws. The torgueing of the body did it in.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Had mine done over a week ago. Can't see the repair and time will tell if it holds. Done in my driveway and only $69. Guaranteed for life.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Insurance usually pays for the chip repairs. I had them done on three cars and my MH, had three chips repaired. All lasted as long as I owned the vehicles and all were done where I was parked (not at a shop) and were free to me.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvscharfe View Post
I have about five rock chips in my windshield and I am afraid that one or more may develop into a crack. I am thinking of taking the coach to a glass shop and having them do a resin repair on all of the chips. I'm just wondering if this is a good solution?
Have them done by a professional. The chip must be cleaned and evacuated of all debris that may be in it and my need to be drilled before the repair material goes in. I have had several fixed in my MH by professionals except for one. A guy in the rv park was going around looking for work. It was the only repair that didn't work because he didn't do it properly. Cost me $500 deductable a year later. Don't try it yourself either. Leave it to the pros. Most insurance companies will cover it for free. Do it right away and don't procrastinate.
Richard
Old 06-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I HAD A NICE BIG STONE CHIP IN MY WINDSHIELD. CALLED SAFELITE AUTO GLASS, AND THEY CAME RIGHT TO THE HOUSE AND REAIRED IT. CAN'T EVEN TELL WHERE IT WAS. I'M THINKG THAT IT WAS ONLY AROUND $ 75.00, IT'S BEEN ABOUT A YEAR NOW AND STILL ALL GOOD. KIND OF SCARY TO WATCH
Dave Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

We had a stone chip in our windshield repaired in 2007. It's still holding fine and is almost invisible.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I just had a couple of stars replaced. I even had a long crack repaired. In the right light, you can see it, but it sure beats having to replace the glass!
Old 06-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Had two chips repaired by professionals and I did one myself with a kit I bought.

I won't use the kit again, didn't come out too good.

I was told by the repair people it is important to get them fixed within a week or so.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:10 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Didn't know the cracks were able to be fixed, but good to know. Thanks
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Thanks folks...I had mine repaired yesterday. Cost me $220.00 as I had five pretty good dings and cracks, but each half of a new windshield is about $1500.00. The company that did it (Safelite) said it's guaranteed for life, but their "guarantee" is only to reduce the cost of a new windshield by whatever you had already paid to have the cracks fixed. Oh well, I hope it holds.
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Another thing they can do is re-ferb your WS. My wife's Mustang WS was so glazed up you could barely see out of it. They came and polished it and now it looks like new. She had a wiper go bad once and it really messed up the glass.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I had Safelite do one for me and after 2 years it had a bubble in it. Safelites lifetime guarantee is call your insurance we can't redo a repair. So much for lifetime.
TN Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Yesterday, I Called Safelite Glass, because I had 3 chips in my MH windshield. They gave me a price of about $113.00, including travel time, to fix the largest chip, that I was worried about. It was less than the size of a quarter, but I was afraid it might run a crack on me. They were at my home, in about 1 & 1/2 hours. The tech worked on sealing all three. I thought the $113 price was for one chip, but as it turned out the one "job" as he called it was for all the chips. When he finished, I could still see all three, as if he hadn't done anything. However, he assured me that none would run a crack, now. I can only wait and hope he was right, but I do feel better about my windshield.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Surprised you had to pay to have them fixed. We have had at least 8 over the years. All were free by 3 diff ins companies. They would rather fix a star than replace a windshield.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beabop View Post
Surprised you had to pay to have them fixed
It was my choice. I could have called Good Sam, my insurance provider, but I decided to pay for the repairs myself. You know the old saying....about sleeping dogs. My previous carrier, Progressive, doubled my annual fees, after a windshield replacement.

Tags
repairs