Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2019, 11:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hard to start

I'm new to motorhome ownership. I have a 2002 31 ft Minni winni with about 50K. It has recently, all of a sudden, been hard to start. No check engine light. It has the Ford V10. I was on a trip at the time and put fuel cleaner through it. I changed the fuel filter and put 7K on it to get it home. It wasn't just a bad tank of gas. Now I have changed the spark plugs. They were original and were worn. I have dealt with the V10 head issues so I am aware of the spark pug issues they have. It still struggles to start, but when it finally starts, it seems to run fine. I put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and if I just put the key to run, I get just a couple of psi of fuel pressure at most. Once I start it, I get a constant 30 psi. I though, must be the tank fuel pump. I decided to check my truck fuel rail (same vintage with V10) and it doesn't run any fuel pressure with the key on. It starts just fine. My questions are...

1. Is there another fuel pump besides the one in the tank?
2. Is there another filter I don't know about?
3. Should there be fuel pressure with the key in run?

Any ideas for trouble shooting would be greatly appreciated. I'm just learning this beast so advice would be greatly appreciated.
flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote