Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2001 Journey and am now seeing very short hairline defects that look like crazing in the exterior sidewall of the fiberglass(?)on the motorhome. This is not the normal thread like fibers seen in the normal sidewall panel. I now see algae like deposits sticking to these surface defects, the algae can be cleaned but the crazing defects seem to be an attractant. The sidewall is smooth to the touch. Any ideas and/or feedback on this? Thanks, Art
arthurval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2001 Journey and am now seeing very short hairline defects that look like crazing in the exterior sidewall of the fiberglass(?)on the motorhome. This is not the normal thread like fibers seen in the normal sidewall panel. I now see algae like deposits sticking to these surface defects, the algae can be cleaned but the crazing defects seem to be an attractant. The sidewall is smooth to the touch. Any ideas and/or feedback on this? Thanks, Art
Old 10-30-2007, 01:58 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

The timing of this post is amazing!!!! I have 6 weeks of radiation at Walter Reed and we're in the MH away from the stick house in NC and I decided that I am going to detail the coach a little at a time over those 6 weeks.

Today I started and encountered EXACTLY, repeat, EXACTLY what Art described on our 2001 Itasca 35U!!! Black streak cleaners and other stuff did nothing. Finally a solution of bleach and water on a rag takes care of the mildew looking things but the crazing is there. Art was very eloquent in describing my exact situation.

Thanks Art for posting this! I look forward to the answers. Steve
Old 10-31-2007, 06:28 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The "crazing" could be caused by expansion and contraction and a very thin layer of gel coat.
I noticed small surface scratches where the decals are on our coach. Like they sanded or used a harsh cleaner before applying the decals...
I don't use wax on the exterior white, never did. If anything yellows the outside skin it's car wax.. especially with carnuba and some other wax base products. With the heat and cold causing expansion and contraction of the fiberglass dirt gets into the small cracks etc.

When you get it cleaned by using fiberglass cleaner and color restore apply a good polymer coat like "New Finish" that's been around for years or equivilant.. Use a buffer applicator makes life a little easier
Remember Wax Yellows and holds dirt!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2002 Itasca Horizon. The unpainted (white) gel coat has extensive "crazing" (small hairline cracks in the gel coat). I notified Winnebago of this and they requested that I send photos. After reviewing the photos they said that the coach was out of warranty but would refer my claim to the manufacturer of the fiberglass (Owens-Corning?). The final word that I received from Winnebago was that they (Owen-Corning?) also refused to do anything . So now I am left with a defective finish on my motorhome. What does that do to the value???? Will I buy another Winnebago product.....I don't think so!!!
Don Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:23 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Well, it's like any BIG company no matter who they are they will always point the finger at someone else... Owens-Corning builds the skin as per Winnebago Specs. I'm sure Winnebago doesn't go to their factory and buy them off the shelf when they need one or two!
So in my opinion the fault is with Winnebago not the supplier!
I feel as far as value, nothing will really change what the book says its worth! Believe me a clean polished rig is worth the same in the book as one that isn't...a few blemishes won't change much if anything!
We looked at a lot of coaches in the past 2 years and talked to a lot of people who own the ones we are interested in and our decision is to go with a "family" owned business next time...
We like our Adventurer it's been a great coach for us and everything is good, but when we do trade up especially for the price of the new Winnebago it opens more options in the 4 slide DP category..
Bang for the buck!
Don't worry be happy, lifes too short!
Old 11-03-2007, 05:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

You would think a family owned business would be best, but we got ours at one, and never got any waranty work done with them.

We stopped and told them what wasn't working or broke, and they said 3 weeks to fix it. We gave them a list and told us to call them. Never heard a word. Stopped at another dealer the next morning he fixed one, ordered the other part and fixed it when we went through again.

Oddly enought the place that fixed the part no one liked, and he doesn't sell winny stuff any more. Figure that one out.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I also have these small hairline cracks in the paint. Had to see until the sun hits them at the right angle. I am out of warranty and am sure Winne won't do anything. But I have them all over the sidewalls!!!!

Full-Timer
craigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:24 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I've got the same problem. Winny's paint guys said they would charge $10,000 to prep & paint the fiberglass. Plus it would cost me nearly an additional 2000 for gas & hotel expenses for about a week at Forest City (from Fla). No alternative but to live with what I've got. Disappointed enough to look elsewhere on next purchase.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Here is an ad I found in the Good Sam Mag for a website selling newglass for faded or blemished clearcoat... Haven't used it and don't know anyone that has but might help?

www.NewGlass2.com
Hey If it helps it beats 10,000 dollars money back if not a happy camper!
Old 11-07-2007, 04:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Looks like no real answers on what or how this crazing is occuring other than a defective product. This is my third Winebago and no problems like this before. I have taken very good care of the exterior and have used only fiberglass waxes that are used on high-end boats. Wish a Winnebago rep or employee would respond to this post. Come on guys!!! It will sure reduce the resale value to any astute potential buyer. Still looking for answers and welcome all replies. Art
Old 11-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Hey Art Don't hold your breath!
Old 11-08-2007, 03:18 AM   #13
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago has admitted some of the coaches built in the 01 02 possibly even 03 time period had a defect in either the paint or the manufacture of the white sidewalls. It would probably take more than a few customers after 5 yrs to get them to make good on the mistake now.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:48 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

If I am not totally mistaken this stuff is actually "Penetrol". Which is used in the manufacture of paint. It is a good product, and will bring out the color in faded gelcoat. I have used it and had good results. It is difficult to work with and must be buffed down before it sets up. Should not be used on flat shinny sides as variances will appear. It will migrate into crevices and a seams and set up to form a good seal. H--l to get off glass, so be aware. It can be purchased at Lowe's and is not particularly expensive. Great for chrome as it seals chrome and moisture cannot enter the tiny hair like checks that all chrome products have. It will also seal metal parts. It can be painted over easily with great results. I keep it in my workshop for many applications. I do not use it on my motor home any more, to difficult to use.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:47 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

I also have the tiny hairline cracks in the Filon...mostly over the driver's window and above the awning over the entry door. There are some at the top of the LR slide. You can see them if you are really up close (like when you are polishing the coach) but harder to see from the ground.

I just chalked this up to how the particular material they used holds up over time.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote