Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2018, 05:25 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Another new owner who had disaster in first year

Quote:
Originally Posted by W6LMJ View Post
Good morning from Florida,
This happened June 28, near the Devils Tower, Wyoming. Hail storms are associated with severe weather and can happen from the spring through the fall.
WOW!! Terry thank you for sharing the video that so clearly demonstrates how little respect mother nature has for our beloved coaches when she is having a bad hair day. I also sincerely hope that your upcoming experience with the insurance company and dealer, factory or wherever you end up is not as bad as my recent experience with Good Sam Insurance (underwritten by NGIC company) out here in California.

Short summary, unavoidable piece of road debris, run over and tossed into undercarriage totally disabling rig and doing about $10,000 damage that it took two shops to repair.

On the bright side Good Sam Roadside coverage worked like a charm and is well worth the premium I paid for that.

One independent I was towed to and he got the rig drivable enough take to my LaMesa dealer in Davis CA who finished the repairs. Both the dealer and the independent were fine and the rig could have been back on the road in a month were it not for the insurance company who fought me tooth and nail trying to avoid their contractual obligations. I did finally prevail but it added two months (three months total for repairs) of delays and hours and hours of frustration to work through the process. I expect my damages were small compared to yours on the dollar scale so be prepared for a fight if necessary. I will offer a small piece of advice: namely keep detailed records of all correspondence, including phone calls with date, time and who you spoke to. I will be following this thread and sincerely hope your experience is better than mine was.
Curious to hear who your insurance company is and how they treat you in the months ahead. If you encounter any trouble feel free to send me message as I learned a lot in my fight and would be happy to share it with you. Clue 1, the thing most likely to get the attention of your insurance company are the words "acting in bad faith" and believe me some of them are very slick about how they go about it.

Best of luck and I hope your rig gets properly repaired and back on the road in short order.
tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:33 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Try to communicate as much as possible in writing and e-mails. If you have a phone conversation, I suggest documenting what was discussed, agreed to, etc. in a confirmation letter with all the details suggested by Dale.

I'm not a lawyer but common sense tells me that letters are better than e-mails, which are better than phone conversations when it comes to documentation of discussions and agreements. With regard to letters and emails, it's even better if you ask for and get a confirming response.

Good luck, I don't envy you.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:30 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Dale and Bob, thank you for your advice and concerns. I have two insurance companies. USAA covered the 2012 Fiat 500, and cut a check to replace it. I had the local collision shop remove the base plate, wiring harness and braking system, worth about $2,300, and hope to reuse it on the replacement Fiat 500, 2015.

Progressive covers the motorhome. I too hit road debris a few months ago and they came out within 48 hours, did the estimate and cut a check, less the $500 deductible.

La Mesa did the repairs with no problems.

I just received the estimate from Progressive for the hail damage to the motorhome and they are returning it to a new condition. They authorized a completely new top and La Mesa has a shop about 200 miles away that can do the work. So I am guessing I will take it to them, let them review the work and order the parts, and then bring it back to them when they are ready to put it in the shop and do the repairs. The deductible this time is $375 because I went a full year without a claim and Progressive reduces the deductible automatically each year you go with no reported damage. So far I am very pleased with them.
W6LMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:08 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

That's good to hear. I'm with USAA and Progressive as well. I used Progressive's towing insurance our first time out with our 2002 Suncruiser and, aside from the delay in finding a big enough tow truck at 6p, I was happy with the service.

As a former Air Force "brat", I've been insured by USAA for everything ever since I got my first driver's license, first under my parent's policy and then under my own after I was commissioned as an AF 2nd Lt. in 1968.

I have nothing but praise for USAA and hope that their relationship with Progressive means that Progressive does as good a job. I would think that, if Progressive gives you any trouble, you can get USAA to intervene. You can't complain about a new roof for $375. Since it was an "act of God" I wouldn't think it should impact your rates.

I encourage anyone reading this who is currently serving, former military or have parents who have been insured by USAA, to check out USAA if they aren't already a member. Progressive is USAA's subcontractor for RV insurance. Note that, since 2009, membership was opened to all who serve or served honorably regardless of rank:

https://www.legion.org/magazine/2362...ty-has-evolved
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:21 PM   #25
2016 Winnebago Navion 24J

After 25 years of running a collision shop (mostly Corvettes and hi-end European), I can advise you to be very aware of some serious problems that need to be checked before signing the check over.

One of my biggest concerns would be where to stop the paint line. Another concern would be overspray from the primer and the final coats. Masking a MH is a huge job. Spray masking works quite well, but can be difficult removing from all the possible cracks and crevices. Taping and paper along with bags is the best, but it will have to be done more than once because of the length of time it will take to do the job.

Will it be under cover the entire time? Probably not. Adhering a panel that large will take special gear and or manpower. A very slow cure panel bonder would be best, especially in hot weather (Florida). Most dry times are based on 72 degree tables.

Will the roof be gel coated, primed/painted or roof coated. Are they planning on replacing the entire roof or "sectioning it". Sectioning would require a backing panel to achieve the desired strength.

Because there are no real "time standards" for this kind of work the shop must be prepared to supplement the estimate. An estimate is "an estimate", and Progressive knows that.

Indemnity is the contractual basis that they sign with you that states "not one penny better, not one penny worse than prior to the accident", or "pre-loss condition".

There is so much more to consider. Good luck, because Progressive hires very green appraisers.
MrMarog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:51 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by W6LMJ View Post
Dale and Bob, thank you for your advice and concerns. I have two insurance companies. USAA covered the 2012 Fiat 500, and cut a check to replace it. I had the local collision shop remove the base plate, wiring harness and braking system, worth about $2,300, and hope to reuse it on the replacement Fiat 500, 2015.

Progressive covers the motorhome. I too hit road debris a few months ago and they came out within 48 hours, did the estimate and cut a check, less the $500 deductible.

La Mesa did the repairs with no problems.

I just received the estimate from Progressive for the hail damage to the motorhome and they are returning it to a new condition. They authorized a completely new top and La Mesa has a shop about 200 miles away that can do the work. So I am guessing I will take it to them, let them review the work and order the parts, and then bring it back to them when they are ready to put it in the shop and do the repairs. The deductible this time is $375 because I went a full year without a claim and Progressive reduces the deductible automatically each year you go with no reported damage. So far I am very pleased with them.
Terry, thank you for the additional information and keep us all posted, I think this is going to be a valuable thread for all of us. NGIC was also nice in the initial stages with estimates, etc, it was further down the road as we actually got into the work when they started with: "we only pay $110/hour labor and the shop is charging $135 at LaMesa, and $155 where NGIC towed me". Then they start with do I want to pay the difference and it was off to the races, I had to climb the ladder at GoodSam to lean on NGIC to live up to their contractual obligations". Good luck and I hope your experience with Progressive is the opposite of mine with NGIC, but I am skeptical and will watch with interest as this progresses.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:54 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarog View Post
After 25 years of running a collision shop (mostly Corvettes and hi-end European), I can advise you to be very aware of some serious problems that need to be checked before signing the check over.

One of my biggest concerns would be where to stop the paint line. Another concern would be overspray from the primer and the final coats. Masking a MH is a huge job. Spray masking works quite well, but can be difficult removing from all the possible cracks and crevices. Taping and paper along with bags is the best, but it will have to be done more than once because of the length of time it will take to do the job.

Will it be under cover the entire time? Probably not. Adhering a panel that large will take special gear and or manpower. A very slow cure panel bonder would be best, especially in hot weather (Florida). Most dry times are based on 72 degree tables.

Will the roof be gel coated, primed/painted or roof coated. Are they planning on replacing the entire roof or "sectioning it". Sectioning would require a backing panel to achieve the desired strength.

Because there are no real "time standards" for this kind of work the shop must be prepared to supplement the estimate. An estimate is "an estimate", and Progressive knows that.

Indemnity is the contractual basis that they sign with you that states "not one penny better, not one penny worse than prior to the accident", or "pre-loss condition".

There is so much more to consider. Good luck, because Progressive hires very green appraisers.
Bob and Roger, thank you both for the info you provided, as I said to Terry this thread could turn out to be very valuable for a lot of people learning how to deal with the insurance companies who are basically bullies when it is time to pay up in my experience.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:48 AM   #28
2016 Winnebago Navion 24J

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Terry, thank you for the additional information and keep us all posted, I think this is going to be a valuable thread for all of us. NGIC was also nice in the initial stages with estimates, etc, it was further down the road as we actually got into the work when they started with: "we only pay $110/hour labor and the shop is charging $135 at LaMesa, and $155 where NGIC towed me". Then they start with do I want to pay the difference and it was off to the races, I had to climb the ladder at GoodSam to lean on NGIC to live up to their contractual obligations". Good luck and I hope your experience with Progressive is the opposite of mine with NGIC, but I am skeptical and will watch with interest as this progresses.
All reputable shops that ACCEPT insurance work will negotiate the hourly rate. If the shop doesn't, find another shop, because that is a sign your problems are just beginning.
MrMarog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

RV Hail Damage Update

Good morning all,

La Mesa RV, Port St. Lucie, Florida 200 miles to the south replaced the roof. It took two months and was covered by the insurance less a deductible. They failed to repair the wiper-washer on the driver's side, left trim off above the bed, failed to align the bathroom door correctly (it now tends to open with the MH is moved) and shorted out the surge protector. I am in the process of all of that being taken care of local La Mesa RV, Sanford, Florida, about 26 miles from me.

I have not replaced the Fiat 500 towed. Hopefully, that will occur this spring.

I have been on a trip with the Sunstar 27N, to Kodak, Tennessee. The MH ran great and we did well on the fuel and travels. Two 636 miles days up and back. My grown daughters were with us and were quite pleased to see we could pull into a rest stop, fire up the generator, prepare and eat a quick meal, and be back on the road in under a half-hour. I am looking forward to many years in this MH.

Terry - W6LMJ
W6LMJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof