Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2005, 10:41 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Anyone come up with a solution to the gutters draining directly down the side of the coach? Mine drains forward enough that I continually have a streak down the drivers side window area. If I don't clean it often and keep the side waxed and Rain-X on the windows then it starts to stain.

I've seen "spouts" on some TT's and on the CW web site that extend the water flow away 90 degrees from the side and ends a couple of inches out. It appears to be enough to make a difference in most circumstances. However, the spouts require the J channel acting as a gutter to have a little diverter at the end to clip on to. Our Winnie coaches don't have this and the water just flows straight out the direction of the channel.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:41 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Anyone come up with a solution to the gutters draining directly down the side of the coach? Mine drains forward enough that I continually have a streak down the drivers side window area. If I don't clean it often and keep the side waxed and Rain-X on the windows then it starts to stain.

I've seen "spouts" on some TT's and on the CW web site that extend the water flow away 90 degrees from the side and ends a couple of inches out. It appears to be enough to make a difference in most circumstances. However, the spouts require the J channel acting as a gutter to have a little diverter at the end to clip on to. Our Winnie coaches don't have this and the water just flows straight out the direction of the channel.

Old 07-12-2005, 10:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Not yet. But I told a fellow member here over the weekend that I had a "job" for him to come up with a diverter for our channels. We'll see if he is successful.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:06 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Could it be as simple as fashioning a channel "extender" with a 45 degree (not 90) elbow in it that you can lay into the existing channel with caulk. Need source material though.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I bought the gutter extensions advertised in CW...First of all it does not say in the ad how many in a pack so I ordered two packs...it's 4...now I have an extra pack of four....got them and could not figure out how they went on...tried everything...finally realized they were designed to attach to a "gutter spout" which CW does not sell...did a google search and found gutter spoiuts at this site http://www.dyersonline.com/pc-2401-2...ter-spout.aspx Ordered them only to find that you neesd to loosen the gutter rail in order to install them since I have already sealed my seams with eternabond I am not going to remove that to install gutter spouts...spent about $30.00 on what I thought was a good idea..turns out I'll be putting the clothes pins back on the gutter when we arrive on site.

2004 Adventurer 38G
J Stemler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I just installed a set of the gutter extensions from CW by cutting them to fit and attached them with clear rtv silcone adhesive. They cut real easy with my pocket knife. Have made one 150 mile trip and they are still there and working ok.

'04 Itasca Suncruiser 38G, W22 Upgrade Kit, Henderson Trac Bar, Davis TruTrac, Steer Safe
Hamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:05 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I kept googling and found this www.rvdripclip.com. Called them and they swear it just clips on, no caulk and not inserted behind the channel. Only $10 plus shipping (UPS or mail) for a package of four!! They are in Michigan and there's a retail store (Blue Star Supply) they are associated with that is their storefront. I went ahead and ordered a package.

I'll post an update later.

Old 07-12-2005, 03:45 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

By the looks of the pictures, I dont think those will work on our channels. Those are designed to clip on the smaller rain diffuser that you find on trailers. Our channels are so narrow and dont point outwards from the side of the rig. We need something very narrow and has a 45 or 90 degree turn to them.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 05:00 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Initially I thougt it seemed it was too large too. But if you look closely for reference points such as the trim screw in the first picture you'll see this is pretty small. I described how small our J channels and lack of a diverter. They said no problem.

We'll see.

Old 07-12-2005, 06:51 PM   #10

My dealer had gutter material that taped itself to the motor home. I just cut a little notch out to allow it to snug under the existing gutter and formed it so it fit the contour of the roof and brought it forward enough so it misses most of the side window.
I really think that some of this run off streaking we will just have to live with, because you can't avoid the windows totally with runoff. mo
no18yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 01:59 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I bought the 4 pack gutter extenders from CW yesterday; hope they work. They were only 4.99 on sale so no biggy if not. I'll get them to work somehow.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:56 AM   #12
GG1
Winnie-Wise

for no18yes

Is the adhesive material you are referring to the 3M product I have seen in 10 foot rolls? I think I have seen it in the camping world catalog. If so do you have any photos of the job I was thinkling about using it it looks like its an easy job just peel and stick.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:46 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I have installed the self sticking rubber rain gutter that Camping World sells to extend the existing rain gutter further forward on my Vectra, away from the driver side window and entry door awning. It works fairly well, but it is hard to catch all the water from the gutter because of the way Winnebago ended the gutter on a different level of the roof line from the front of the cab area

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:10 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Considered the options to extend the gutter forward. For now I'm going to try the other approach to get the flow to drop away from the side at the end of the gutter. If TT's can do it then we should be able to do it with our class A's.

The ideal solution would be a semi-rigid, plastic gutter insert (inside, clips over side, possibly caulk) that that angles off at about 45 degrees and ends about 2 inches out from the side of the coach. The real challenge would be to ensure it gives way easily so you don't screw up the J channel if brush by a branch.

There's some bucks to be made here for whoever has the time to design/fab it.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:42 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Been gone on a long trip and just now catching up on my loose ends.

The gutter extensions I ordered did not fit the Winnie J channel.

Getting something custom designed seems to be the only choice at this juncture.

Old 08-10-2005, 02:04 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I asked several Winnie reps during GNR at the Forest City Foundry about a fix for this issue, which has been a complaint for years and years.

Nada; Zip; Zilch. Another example of Winnie's ear to customer concerns.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:21 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I tried the little plastic rain gutters on my adventure, {like the ones in both .com}
would not go behind "J" channel. So I cut the back wall of ot them and with a small
bit installed a small SS screw in bottom thru plastic into "J" gutter.
**** did it look good, but the water hits the side of the MH below the window.
If they would extend the drain spout just a half inch. dont need a 3or4 inch spout.
Not on mine anyway. Still in search of!!!! TENN.VOL.