Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Grrrrr... annoying slide rattle!

Well, we just travelled accross I-78 in PA this weekend in our 05' 39K Journey. There are sections of highway on I-78 that must be testing grounds for anything bolted together

Anyway, the passenger side slide has always rattled a bit just behind the passenger seat when jarred by rough road, but this time it was so frequent and sooooo annoying that I removed the accordion material covering the slide mechanism when we got home to see what the heck is rattling so much, or if something was coming loose. It appears as though the large steel scissor-style arms are the culprits because they are simply pinned at the top and bottom hinge points which allows them to slightly move laterally within the channel of the nesting steel member. The hydraulic chain links appear to be taught and not the problem.

The other two slides are quiet. Does anyone else experience this excessive slide rattling, or does anyone have experience or suggestions on dampening the rattle?

Thanks,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If you have room to do this -
put a back up (hammer head, block of metal, etc.) behind a rivet then hit the other side with a hammer. It might tighten it up enough to keep it from flopping.
Just a thought there...
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Joopy;

I am not sure if my passenger side slide is like yours or not but it has a scissor type arm like you describe. I purchased my Horizon used last year and the rattle drove me nuts. I made an appointment at the factory in Forest City to see if they could improve the problem. They told me they completely re-adjusted the slide but on the way home it still rattled but not as bad. After that I realized I had a little outward slide creep so I made an appointment at HWH and took it there. They replaced 3 slide valves and that improved the problem even more. They explained to me that when the slide is retracted one should be sure to hold the switch on for an extra 3 seconds to make sure there is pressure on the slide mechanism when traveling. I had a leaking valve which allowed the pressure to bleed back.

I have talked to others that have a slide like mine and they likewise have a rattling problem on rough roads. Maybe I am becoming more accustomed to the rattling but it does not bother the DW and I as much as it did.

Good luck with your problem;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have electric slide locks on my 42QD, but in the past I've used a slide lock bar to tighten the slide against the body and stopped the rattles around the slide. Usually just takes a bar on the front to work. They run about $40 or so depending on the width. Good luck!
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Appreciate the responses, folks.

Don,
Your experience sounds precisely like my situation. While stored, our slide occasionally creeps out several inches. I've taken to lowering my jacks on that side to slightly tilt the RV to the port side. Sounds like I need to address the slide valves. I'll also try the 3 second rule, too.

The slide lock bar is also an easy solution to try. Just hope I can remember to remove them before extending

cheers,
Joopy
Old 10-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

My 39K has a awning above the entry door and that would make an irritating rattle. I tightened up the screws holding the awning and the noise went away. I had initially thought the sound was coming from the slide.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Good thought, Bob. There were times I thought the large awning supports were rattling. I'll check out the fasteners on the door awning as well.

Thanks for the tip.

Joopy
Old 10-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

look on the hwh web site. there is a manual on the x arm slide and how to adjust it. you can access it from below
to the poster with the slide that creeps out
if your slide creeps out, the extend solenoid for that room needs to be replaced
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

We had the same problem on our 04 39K and we stopped in to 3t's Rv in Lake Havasu, AZ and John tightened the floor bolt at the wall directly behind the passenger seat; solved the problem. We also had the slide creeping in after extended and some HWH valves had to be replaced. Since yours in an 05, do you have the problem of the external slide seal(at the floor level) peeling off?). W. corrected it from 04 but I don't know which year. I have the solution if it is a problem. You can PM me anytime.

Tags
slide