Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 11:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

God awful noise

I have a 2011 Itasca Sunstar 35 with HWH jack system. When the jacks start down a God awful alarm starts sounding and doesn't stop until the engine is shut off. Now I know why the alarm is there to let you know the jacks are deployed so you don't try and drive off with them down. But you also have lights on the dash panel and indicator lights on the HWH panel to let you know the same thing. Is there any way to quiet this alarm or even shut it off? I know everyone is going to say it is a safety feature and I agree but if I do my due diligence I should not attempt to drive off with them down. Not only does it bother me but absolutely drives my dog nuts. Thanks for any input.
smokeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

On the 3 MH's that have had HWH systems I just turned the ignition it accessory and there was no alarm.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeeater View Post
I have a 2011 Itasca Sunstar 35 with HWH jack system. When the jacks start down a God awful alarm starts sounding and doesn't stop until the engine is shut off. Now I know why the alarm is there to let you know the jacks are deployed so you don't try and drive off with them down. But you also have lights on the dash panel and indicator lights on the HWH panel to let you know the same thing. Is there any way to quiet this alarm or even shut it off? I know everyone is going to say it is a safety feature and I agree but if I do my due diligence I should not attempt to drive off with them down. Not only does it bother me but absolutely drives my dog nuts. Thanks for any input.
Well,
To hell with all that REDUNDANT safety crap. Yep, I too get tired of stuff like that. If it were me, I'd trace it while it's making all that racket and, either pull the electrical wire off of it or, CUT IT!

Yep, the HWH panel let's you know when ANY jack is down, even partially. So, all you need to do is, PAY ATTENTION to that HWH panel and, you're good to go. I know friends who have Fleetwood Discoveries and, whenever the galley slide is being either extended or, retracted, there's a loud beeping going on that is heard both inside and outside the coach. Man that sucks. I had one on my Fleetwood Bounder too. It was disconnected about 5 minutes after I got it home. I KNOW WHEN I'M EXTENDING AND RETRACTING THE SLIDE. I don't need a beeper telling me I'm doing it.

Anyway, yep, you don't need to bother Freightliner or whom ever made your chassis and or even the coach builder. Just walk around while someone is deploying the jacks and, find that alarm. Then, un plug it.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Do you have to have the engine running to deploy your jacks? I don't on my Monaco.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My owners manual says run engine when deploying slides and jacks. They are HWH as well and the alarm does get a little tiring.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I was lucky as my alarm just quit working. I think it was divine intervention and I'm so appreciative.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:02 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

OK, yes it is terrible but it's because someone sued because they got hurt and tore up their MH because the jacks were down while they were driving.
If we would all just get a pair and stop blaming someone else for us being stupid and then taking them to court because I got hurt for doing something that there was no warning to tell me not do because I might get hurt then we would not have to have all of these stupid labels and buzzers to piss us off, however because of the 1% of the people that are stupid and put HOT coffee between their legs while driving a stick shift and wearing a mini skirt and just complaining because the first cup of coffee was not how enough we have to put up with this crap.

So to make a LONG Story LONGER, too bad soo sad live with it.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
OK, yes it is terrible but it's because someone sued because they got hurt and tore up their MH because the jacks were down while they were driving.
If we would all just get a pair and stop blaming someone else for us being stupid and then taking them to court because I got hurt for doing something that there was no warning to tell me not do because I might get hurt then we would not have to have all of these stupid labels and buzzers to piss us off, however because of the 1% of the people that are stupid and put HOT coffee between their legs while driving a stick shift and wearing a mini skirt and just complaining because the first cup of coffee was not how enough we have to put up with this crap.

I agree 100% but that is the world we live in today... Not my fault
onlakegaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

My 99 brave has that alarm too
Old 04-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

smokeeater, been thinking about your alarm. The alarm should not sound unless there is a possible issue. Do you have the the transmission in park and the parking brake set? Wondering if there may be a problem with the parking brake signal to the jack system.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:23 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I replaced mine with this.
2X 3 24VDC Piezo Electronic Tone Buzzer Arduino Raspberry Pi Effect Alarm 2pcs | eBay
Works great not that loud but still get that audio warning. Just cut and splice
Old 04-24-2015, 12:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I agree with grtharris. In all likelihood the parking brake switch isn't adjusted properly and the alarm goes off because it isn't getting the signal that the parking brake is on. An easy way to tell is to set the parking brake and turn on the ignitions switch. The parking brake should light up and remain lighted. If it doesn't it's most likely either the switch is misadjusted or the bulb is missing or burnt out.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:31 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Anytime the HWH system detects at least one of the jacks have triggered a jack-down microswitch, the alarm dong will sound. I'm glad it is there, because on one trip I kept getting that alarm. Since the transmission must be in neutral to activate the HWH touch-pad, that meant I had to pull over somewhere, stop, shift to neutral, and initiate the "store" function.
All of that enlightened me to what was happening. I was not allowing enough time after the store light illuminated till I turned off the touch-pad. This meant a jack was barely tripping the microswitch, and road vibration was triggering it as a jack down.
I do as Mr.D, turn the ignition key to accessory, the alarm does not sound, yet the HWH system operates normally-IF you have good 12V power to the system.
Some say they think this alarm is un-needed, but-how many of you regularly look at your HWH lights while driving?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:04 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

My alarm is tied into the parking brake. If the brake is not set, the engine is running & a jack is down then I get the alarm. If the brake is set no alarm.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:26 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Anytime the HWH system detects at least one of the jacks have triggered a jack-down microswitch, the alarm dong will sound. I'm glad it is there, because on one trip I kept getting that alarm. Since the transmission must be in neutral to activate the HWH touch-pad, that meant I had to pull over somewhere, stop, shift to neutral, and initiate the "store" function.
All of that enlightened me to what was happening. I was not allowing enough time after the store light illuminated till I turned off the touch-pad. This meant a jack was barely tripping the microswitch, and road vibration was triggering it as a jack down.
I do as Mr.D, turn the ignition key to accessory, the alarm does not sound, yet the HWH system operates normally-IF you have good 12V power to the system.
Some say they think this alarm is un-needed, but-how many of you regularly look at your HWH lights while driving?
That's not the case with all HWH systems. We had the "Jack Down" warning buzzer come on a few times in our 2001 Adventurer. When it did all I had to do was power up the panel and push the store button. The transmission didn't have to be in neutral. The procedure was accomplished while still cruising down the highway at 60 mph. Once the jack fully retracted the panel would shut down.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:29 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

On my Vectra the manuals advice is to drive with the the "store" button activated on the panel to avoid the "jacks down" alarm. According to the instructions hydraulic fluid will react to changes in temperature particularly heat which will give enough expansion to move the jacks enough to sound the alarm. Driving with the panel in "store mode" completely obviates any problems. (Per Winnebago and HWH manuals)
Old 04-26-2015, 12:33 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

actually, hwh only supplies the alarm, and the manufacturer has the option of installing it or not.
most mfg's opt to install it as a safety item. i agree its a real pain, and there are ways to disconnect it, but a dealer or a service guy cant disconnect it.
if it has been installed, its illegal, and a liability issue for a service center to
disable it.
but you, as the owner can do what ever you like. its a strange world we live in today.
we are a nation of regulations. im probably violating one now.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
SuperGewl
When was that?
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise