Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2005, 12:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

It looks as though a BB found its way into the glass over the passenger seat. This is the smaller top piece. The outer layer is shattered, but the inner layer is intact. Talked to dealer & was told the entire door glass assembly has to be replaced. This cost $600 from factory, plus freight & install.
Has anyone had to have theirs replaced? The piece of glass is identified on the parts breakdown, but not sure if the labor cost involved would be more than just replaceing assembly.
I plan to see if I can get better answer from Winnebago tomorrow after the open back.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2005, 12:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

It looks as though a BB found its way into the glass over the passenger seat. This is the smaller top piece. The outer layer is shattered, but the inner layer is intact. Talked to dealer & was told the entire door glass assembly has to be replaced. This cost $600 from factory, plus freight & install.
Has anyone had to have theirs replaced? The piece of glass is identified on the parts breakdown, but not sure if the labor cost involved would be more than just replaceing assembly.
I plan to see if I can get better answer from Winnebago tomorrow after the open back.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2005, 01:48 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

If you're talking about the long rectangular glass (above the pass. slider window), I think $600 is way out of line. See what Winnebago says, then consider a different dealer to get the work done. You might also consider buying the glass (and new gasket) yourself from Winnie, then go to a local auto glass shop in your area. They do that kind of thing everyday (maybe not on Winnebagoes), and those flat sheets of glass are generally a piece of cake to R & R.
Keep us posted.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Call a local glass shop. A good one can build up those dual pane windows and replace them.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 05:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I wouldn't replace it.

But if I was I would go to an auto glass shop.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thanks all for the input. Appreciate it.

However Tom, Sharon says not replacing is not an option.

Talked to Winnebago today, very helpful. Customer service couldn't patch me thru to parts, so recommended I call Mobility RV. Spoke to Dianne. I can get the glass for $78 + shipping. Painful part is having it installed. Dealer quoted me about $270 to install (Their labor rate is $119/HR). Local RV shop quoted 2 to 3 hrs (Their rate is $70/HR). I am fairly mechanically inclined, but not sure I want to tackle this job. The entire unit needs to be removed, then frame spread apart to replace the glass. I looked it over today & not sure if any additional molding for windshield or interior moulding is involved. Since we are going to the GNR in July just might wait till then & let the factory do it.
Has anyone done this before?

Again, thanks for the info.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

If yours and anything like my 35U upper glass it's not a bad job at all. I only had to remove the top glass. Take all the screws out. Use a hair dyer or heat gun to soften the seal around the edges. Cut the sealer with a blade as you pry the frame away. Once you get it started it comes out very easy. Maybe see you at the GNR.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 02:05 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DancinCampers:
Thanks all for the input. Appreciate it.

However Tom, Sharon says not replacing is not an option.

Talked to Winnebago today, very helpful. Customer service couldn't patch me thru to parts, so recommended I call Mobility RV. Spoke to Dianne. I can get the glass for $78 + shipping. Painful part is having it installed. Dealer quoted me about $270 to install (Their labor rate is $119/HR). Local RV shop quoted 2 to 3 hrs (Their rate is $70/HR). I am fairly mechanically inclined, but not sure I want to tackle this job. The entire unit needs to be removed, then frame spread apart to replace the glass. I looked it over today & not sure if any additional molding for windshield or interior moulding is involved. Since we are going to the GNR in July just might wait till then & let the factory do it.
Has anyone done this before?

Again, thanks for the info. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> we had to have our passenger side window replaced and was told that the whole assembly had to be replaced because thats how winnebago sends the entire framed window, which we did. the cost was if i remember right about 850.00 for parts and labor. I took it to a glass shop first and they didnt quite know how to get the frame out of the rig so we opted for the selling dealer to do the job. They cracked my windshield in the process but that didnt show up until after wur first trip 250 miles later. thats another story. so your price quote is about right. good luck. My window started fogging in between the pains of glass. a big problem seeing out the window and into the mirror while driving. safety concern.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote