Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2018, 08:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Generator question

Have just purchased a 2011 Access Premier and there are some different things about the generator. The 12 volt or shore power is required to start the generator. When running the generator does not power the microwave, the fridge, the air conditioner etc. I have located the breaker switch, made sure that it is in the on position but still no power to any of the 120 appliances. Cant think of anything else.
Duffson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
check for circuit breakers ON the genny.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have checked the breaker on the generator and it is on, no breakers inside are tripped. Genny is running great but no power going through. The generator has been run but never "used". It has only 32 hours on it. Not sure how you can check if it is in fact generating any power.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
the genny om my 30-a,p coach had one breaker, both of my 50-amp coaches had teo breakers.

something else....

- are you plugged into shore power? if you have a transfer switch the electromagnet will seitch away fm the genny side to shore power.

- when you plug into shore power do you hear the txfr switch make a 'clunking' noise?

- if you don't have a transfer switch then you might need to take your shore power cord and plug it into a receptacle located near the genny

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I can confirm your observation that Winnebago wires the Generator 12 Volt Power connection to the Coach Battery System, on my RV the positive wire runs directly to the Coach Battery Isolation Relay Stud.

There are two ways that Winnebago Coach Generators are wired, on coaches with 30 Amp Service: I can't say if you have a 50 Amp Service RV.

#1: The Generator AC output is cabled to a 30 Amp Receptacle, located in the compartment where your Shore Cable is stored. To power the RV with the Generator plug your shore cable into the receptacle.

#2: The shore cable and the Generator AC output are both run into a Transfer Switch Box. If there is no shore power, the large contactor in that box ties the generator output to the cable that runs to the RV breaker box. If there is shore power applied, after a short time delay (usually 20-30 seconds) the contactor operates and connects shore cable to the cable that runs to the RV breaker box.

BE VERY CAREFUL OR HAVE SOMEONE QUALIFIED DO THE FOLLOWING: 120 AC can kill you if it comes in contact with your body.

#1: You can start the generator and try to measure for 120 Volts AC across the Hot and Neutral on the receptacle, using a meter set to AC volts and a range above 120 Volts.

#2: You can remove the Transfer Switch cover and with shore power disconnected start the generator and measure for 120 Volts AC on the terminals where the black and white wires coming from the generator are connected. You can see if the transfer switch is good by measuring for 120 Volts AC on the black and wires coming from the RV electrical box.

Good Luck.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank You Randy

We do have 30 amp power and you are correct. There is a receptacle located in the storage are for the shore power cord, once the cord is plugged in every thing works great. Now I wont be trying to solve the problem all night and I can go to sleep. I really appreciate the help. This is a great forum and hopefully some day I can return the favor to someone.

Tags
generator