Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2019, 05:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Generator ka put

I Have a 5500 Onan gas generator. Did all the maintenance about three months ago oil and oil filter air cleaner spark plugs. Seemed to be running fine. Started it after about a month of sitting , generator ran for approximately five minutes shut down red light blinking temp fault number one flashing . I have no idea What that means or how to troubleshoot and fix it, I hope someone could give me some advice thanks. I don’t know if this generator is air cooled water cool and would really like to know thanks.
Franksteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm guessing and that's always dangerous but , I would say you don't have a really large problem on the gennie. Just that we often don't know as much as we need and that makes it sound/feel BAD!
Gensets are simple with lots of really weird small items, so my first step would be to look for really good info on the specific set you have. The small things change often, so I want to first look for the EXACT and correct info by searching on the genset for a model and serial number info and then going to manuals for that exact items. Otherwise it is very easy to chase a solution.
If manuals, etc. are not your thing, do post back with the specific info on make, year, model , serial number and most any other info you can. That will allow the folks here who do know their gennies, to cut to the correct info much quicker.
Not wanting to put you off, just easier to sound blunt and unhelpful than to watch you chase your tail on things that don't matter?
Small point for now? I suspect it not likely to be water cooled.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 02:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I'm guessing and that's always dangerous but , I would say you don't have a really large problem on the gennie. Just that we often don't know as much as we need and that makes it sound/feel BAD!
Gensets are simple with lots of really weird small items, so my first step would be to look for really good info on the specific set you have. The small things change often, so I want to first look for the EXACT and correct info by searching on the genset for a model and serial number info and then going to manuals for that exact items. Otherwise it is very easy to chase a solution.
If manuals, etc. are not your thing, do post back with the specific info on make, year, model , serial number and most any other info you can. That will allow the folks here who do know their gennies, to cut to the correct info much quicker.
Not wanting to put you off, just easier to sound blunt and unhelpful than to watch you chase your tail on things that don't matter?
Small point for now? I suspect it not likely to be water cooled.
Suggest you disconnect the oil pressure sensor wire near the dipstick. If the Genny runs OK you can consider replacing the sensor. It is kinda pricey.
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franksteer View Post
I Have a 5500 Onan gas generator. Did all the maintenance about three months ago oil and oil filter air cleaner spark plugs. Seemed to be running fine. Started it after about a month of sitting , generator ran for approximately five minutes shut down red light blinking temp fault number one flashing . I have no idea What that means or how to troubleshoot and fix it, I hope someone could give me some advice thanks. I don’t know if this generator is air cooled water cool and would really like to know thanks.
Have you been able to track down the root cause. If you haven't figured it out yet, the first thing to check would be the fuel level of your RV. If your coach is low on gas (1/4 tank) then your gen ran out of fuel due to the pick up tube being higher as a precaution when camping. Don't want to run all the gas out using the gen.

Just something else to check. Let us know what you find when you get it back online. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

With a temperature sensor issue, I would think a bad temp sensor or connection to it. The other possibility is that something is blocking the air flow. Pull the covers off and try to find where the temp sensor or sensors are located. Check the wiring and look for something obvious like a rag or paper towel left behind when doing the service.
RTrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

One of the qyirks of giving info on forums is that you never know what happened. Kind of like shooting in the dark. You never know if you hit anything if nobody yells!
Old 12-23-2019, 10:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I'm embarrassed to say that I ran the fuel down on our Vectra and we had no generator.

I always top her off if we're boondocking.
Saltty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 02:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

All fixed

Finally my generator is working this is what the problem was. About a month ago I bought a rubber mudflap and when mounting it The generator exhaust pipe was in the way of the mudflap. So in all my wisdom I disconnected the exhaust pipe from the bottom of the generator and cut about 2 inches off the pipe and reinstalled it and it cleared the mudflap. From that point on after about two weeks I needed the generator so I started it and the rest is history ran for about five minutes red light blinking high temp fault. Never ever thought that just cutting 2 inches off the pipe it would cause the generator to overheat. So after $62 for a new pipe I got rid of the mudflap installed the new expensive exhaust pipe and everything is now wonderful. Sometimes you think you are so intelligent and find out you are really dumb.
Franksteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:46 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the follow up Franksteer. That is interesting. Often when I have what appears to be a new problem I ask myself what changed. Was it something I could have done to cause a new issue or some other physical change in the system.

You did good. Figured it out and shared.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Congrats on following up until you found the cause.
Can we assume it was a case of the genset sucking too much hot air back in? One hazard we might want to think about involves the CO that engines make and we need to keep it moved fully out and away from where we might sleep.

Tags
generator