Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2007, 12:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Here's my question: My Journey has a chrome tip on the generator exhaust (which is welded on). The OD of this tip is 1.75". The largest adapter Gen-Turi has available is 1 5/8". Won't fit over the chrome tip.

I would hate to 'hack it off' due to it's good appearance.

Anyone come up with a solution on how to connect the exhaust off the larger chrome tip to the Gen-Turi exhaust pipe??
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Here's my question: My Journey has a chrome tip on the generator exhaust (which is welded on). The OD of this tip is 1.75". The largest adapter Gen-Turi has available is 1 5/8". Won't fit over the chrome tip.

I would hate to 'hack it off' due to it's good appearance.

Anyone come up with a solution on how to connect the exhaust off the larger chrome tip to the Gen-Turi exhaust pipe??
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-24-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem. I ended up sliding the genturi elbow inside the exhaust pipe. I drilled it to allow the cinch pin to go through both. It is a tight fit and if it leaks, you cannot tell it.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:17 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I guess a reducer adapter won't do you any good?
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I would go to my nearest muffler shop that has equipment to build exhaust parts ... (Midas, Car-X, etc)

they will have machines to build you an adaptor that will slip over your genny exhaust and join up with your exhaust extension ...

they have machines that heat pipe then enlarge and/or bend it ....
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

My first level search did not show up any reducer-adapters for these sizes.

Anyone know what the temps are for the diesel exhaust? Someone suggested to me to use radiator hose as an adaptor. My guess is that radiator hose is good for 250+d and exhaust is closer to 400+d. My guess. Anyone know?

Good suggestion on the muffler shop.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-24-2007, 04:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pusherman:
My first level search did not show up any reducer-adapters for these sizes.

Anyone know what the temps are for the diesel exhaust? Someone suggested to me to use radiator hose as an adaptor. My guess is that radiator hose is good for 250+d and exhaust is closer to 400+d. My guess. Anyone know?

Good suggestion on the muffler shop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What hose do the use in service bays to connect vehicle exhausts to outside vents. Looks like a heavy duty radiator hose but must have a silicone base.

Did you call Gen Turi? They may have a suggestion based on their own R&D.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I have the Genturi also. I like the idea of slipping the adaptor inside your exhaust tip. If it is that big you will not hinder the exhaust and it will look good.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I did what has already been suggested. I went to a muffler shop and had an adapter made up to fit around the outside of the chrome tip. It works well and if I remember correctly it only was about $10.00 for the adapter.

Pete
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I did some measuring and bought an adapter at Autozone. Drilled a hole through it to fit the pin on the GenTuri. Also bought an exhaust clamp and put wing nuts on it so I can hand tighten the clamp after I slip the adapter over the chrome tip. My total parts cost was a little over $3.00.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:10 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I would be concerned about slipping the adapter inside the eshuat pipe. You are effectively makeing your exhust pipe a smaller diameter, which will rise the back pressure(not sure how much). I don't know if it raises the back pressure enough to cause a problem but why chance it when other inexpensive solutions are aviable.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:43 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I bought a ready made adapter at Advanced Auto, drilled a hole in it to take the Genturi Pipe.
Works great cost about $2.00
Old 10-25-2007, 08:02 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I made my own generator exhaust extension. Uses 4" PVC pipe, some galvanized pipe pieces, a piece of 1" square aluminum stock and other inexpensive items. Total cost of about $18.00. Doesn't require drilling on the MH and slips right over the generator tail pipe and is fully supported by the awning rail. Is not affected by high winds and does not put a strain on the generator tail pipe supports.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:53 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I took my chrome extension off, it was held in place with two tack welds. The exhaust pipe was just inside it, out to the very end of the chrome tip. Some varefull cutting with a dremel tool and cutting wheel took it off in about three minutes. Then I used one of the standard fittings to mount the Genturi adapter.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:48 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

If can figure out how to post pictures on here, I'll put up some pictures of the deal I made. Requires no modifying of the coach whatsoever and works better than the store bought unit and doesn't look like a 'sanford and son' thing when it's installed.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:48 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

I'm gonna wait till you guys hash this one out and go with the flow.. Don't want to remove my shiney exhaust tip either.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:10 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would be concerned about slipping the adapter inside the eshuat pipe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The adapter goes OVER the chrome tip, not INSIDE the exhaust pipe. The chrome tip is much larger than the exhaust pipe itself, so you are not reducing the inside diameter of the exhaust pipe much if any at all.

Also, I did not drill holes to attach the little hooks that come with the Gen-Turi. I use two rubber "tarp straps" (like bungee cords) to secure the Gen-Turi to the windshield molding and driver's window frame. With the straps in place, the top of the Gen-Turi pipe is secured against my mirror arm. As to putting any "strain" on the generator exhaust supports, when the generator is in normal position (not pulled out for service), the exhaust pipe is in a little V-shaped bracked that supports it. I have no concerns about that issue.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:59 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PeteB:
I did what has already been suggested. I went to a muffler shop and had an adapter made up to fit around the outside of the chrome tip. It works well and if I remember correctly it only was about $10.00 for the adapter.

Pete </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did similar..this is the best way to go..One stop...15 minutes...a few bucks..
Old 10-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

For those of you who used an adapter/reducer which slips over the chrome tip, how do you keep from scratching the chrome?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-26-2007, 07:23 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">how do you keep from scratching the chrome? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was a little concerned about that too, but it has had no noticeable effect on mine. I put my Gen-turi together with the adapter in about January 2004. We haven't used it an awful lot, but several times ...enough so that your hand will get black if you stick it inside the Gen-turi pipes! You can get a good view of my chrome tip (picture taken today!) at the little blurb sheet I created on my web page at http://www.mindspring.com/~afchap/GenExhaust.htm