Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
Gen, steps, jack, slide, which batt. system powers them?

I have a 02 Itasca, Gas.

Steps powered by eng. battery only?

Slide out by house or eng. battery?

Jacks by house or eng battery?

Gen. house or eng. battery?

Some say when one battery system is down, the othe
takes over.

Don't know.

Thank you.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

As far as I can tell, house things (steps, slide-out, levellers, etc.) are on house batteries. I think it depends on the manufacturer whether you can get the chassis battery to start the generator. On my GT, the generator starter is on the house system. I've never had to try, but it might be that the emergency start, (the one that will let you start the engine off the house system) will also let you start the generator off the chassis battery.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

My expectation on a Winnebago would be that the steps, slideout(s), and jacks would all be powered off the engine (aka chassis) battery while the generator would start off the house (aka coach) batteries. The momentary boost switch on the dash connects the house and engine batteries together temporarily to help start either the engine or the generator.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I wonder how much commonality there is which 12VDC circuits between manufactures. Check my Thor Hurricane and here's what I found -

Steps - engine battery.
Slide Outs - house battery.
Jacks - house battery.
Generator - house battery.

I've got a lot more battery capacity to support these types of loads on the house side and if the coach wasn't configured this way I would add changing to my RV bucket list.

I suspect the steps on the engine battery is a RVIA certification requirement but their web site is not very forth coming with info based on a quick look.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
My expectation on a Winnebago would be that the steps, slideout(s), and jacks would all be powered off the engine (aka chassis) battery while the generator would start off the house (aka coach) batteries. The momentary boost switch on the dash connects the house and engine batteries together temporarily to help start either the engine or the generator.
X2 in my experience.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

The reason for running the slideout(s) and jacks off the engine battery is to that one can run the engine while operating them to provide sufficient power to them.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
The reason for running the slideout(s) and jacks off the engine battery is to that one can run the engine while operating them to provide sufficient power to them.
I believe that the engine charges both the house and the engine batteries when it's running. I believe that my slideout is controlled by the house batteries.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Jacks, Steps and Slides are all on the Chaasis, or engine battery.

Generator starts off the coach or house batteries.

Same as my 2002 Adventurer.

Alternator charges all three when driving down the road. Generator only charges the house batteries.
Springer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I believe that the engine charges both the house and the engine batteries when it's running. I believe that my slideout is controlled by the house batteries.
It's easy to check. Unplug from shore power, activate the battery disconnect, don't start the engine and see if the slide will move. If is does it's wired from the chassis battery.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Springer45 right on. I have 01 Itasco. same as OP
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #11
PDI

Springer45 is correct engine Battery. I did not know the Gen starts off the house. I've tried to start it once and had to use the boost battery switch on the dash to get it to turn over and start.
PDI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, steps