Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Who do I call at Winnebago to ask about the stress cracks in our side walls around the windows.
Rben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Who do I call at Winnebago to ask about the stress cracks in our side walls around the windows.
Rben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rben:
Who do I call at Winnebago to ask about the stress cracks in our side walls around the windows. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might want to send an email to [email protected]. This is Bryan Funke, a supervisor in their service area. Many of us have found him to be very helpful.

It always helps other forum members to give advice and assistance if you include information about your coach in your signature...model, year, chassis.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Winnebago Owner Relations at (800) 537-1885 or email [email protected] ... I have used both methods of contact and found them to be very responsive and helpful. If you use email, include your name and MH serial number.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

rben...i belive your rep is mike muffoletto...and he works out of New York. call winnebago or email customer service and see if they will forward some photos to him. One piece of advice...if you go to a local body shop to get a quote make sure that the quote is very reasonable. Winnebago does not like high quotes. If your quote is reasonable they will most likely let it get fixed. In other words dont try to rip them off. I would wait to save fuel, your rep propbably has a dealer that is near you that will fix this problem and he trusts them. Good luck.
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have the exact same issue with my coach right now. I took it to the dealer who then got a quite of $6500.00 and although Winnebago requested the quote they then denied the claim and said they weren't going to fix it because it was out of the 12 month original warranty period. My dealer also recommended that I continue this on my own through owner relations. I just went and took some photos yesterday and I'll post them with this. To say the least, I was completely surprised when my dealer called me to tell me that Winnebago denied the claim when it is apparent, according to the dealer, that there is some type of flaw in either the fit of the windows and vents or the gel coat itself. My cracks are only on the side of the coach with no slides and only at the corners of a couple of the windows and the stove vent cover plate.

Well, I was going to attach the photos but I can't figure out how...

OK, I think I might have figured it out...but it looks like the photos have to be approved before I can upload them. I'll update this post with the pics as soon as they are approved.
Ron-in-Tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

$6500.00 is way to high..sounds like price gouging to me... all those cracks can be fixed in one day or two max...unless they are in an area where the paint cannot be blended in..I wouldn't expect Bago to repaint the entire side if it was out of warranty. I would except a good blend job...If you go somewhere they know how to fix the cracks you should be able to get a better price..I had about 5 spiders and bago/cci did it in a day. Maybe you can plan a trip to Forest City...call CCI and get a price from David Nagle (?)...i dont have the number but its in Forest City Iowa. He will give you a great price and you make a trip out of it.
CCI is who paints some of the RVs for Winnebago.
I'll give you an example local body shop wanted $4200.00 to paint my front nose...CCI $1200.00

Good luck
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Yeah...the $6500 seemed pretty excessive to me as well. I was thinking $1000 - $2000 at the most. I planned on getting two or three other quotes from other body shops and then calling Winnebago and going from there. They claimed that the reason the quote is so high is bacuase they have to remove the windows and the vent to do the work....isn't that just a few screws
Old 03-01-2007, 12:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

OK...my photos were approved...lets see if I can get them on here...

NOPE... ...anyone know how to post a photo? I have two pictures in "My Photos" here on irv2 but can't seem to get them from there....to here???
Old 03-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I've been thru this drill. Have MANY spider cracks (NOT stress cracks) all over my sidewalls, including slides. None on front or rear cap; and none on any painted areas. I'm convinced it's a bad gel-coat lay-up from the getgo.

Went to two dealers. First estimate was $25,000. Second dlr refused to give estimate.

Am interested in CCI, Forest City. Thx for the heads up.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:53 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Let's try this...BINGO!! OK, these are just the two best pictures that turned out. I have several more but they just didn't turn out well enough to post them. In all, I think there are 3 windows and the one vent cover plate with these cracks on at least one of the corners on each and on two of the corners on a couple of them.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4255

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4256
Old 03-05-2007, 07:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Just wondering if anyone has made any progress on this as of yet?. I'm away on business and won't be able to deal with mine until the middle of the month. It seems that this may be more popular of an issue than I thought. Winnie forum member "Old Snipe" wrote in a previous post I had on this:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I had this exact same problem on my MH (see signature line). Every window/door that was not on a slide had hairline cracks in the corners. Winnebago rep looked at it and said they had a problem with dull routers used to cut some windows at the factory, the window holes were too small and the window couldn't "float" the tiny bit when the coach flexed. Winnebago stepped right up and fixed every crack area under warrenty. They fixed it right the first time and I have never had a repeat of the problem almost 3 years after the repairs. Contact your Winnebago dealer and have them look at it.

Best Regards!

Paul D
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U Workhorse Chassis
AKA "R SANITY" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I've seen at least 3 others with this problem including myself. My coach is a 2004 with barely 15000 miles on it and virtually looks brand new with the exception of these cracks...sad, very sad indeed. I'm kind of surprised to find this on Winnebago Coaches. I just hope to be able to get Winnie to stand behind this as there is obviously some type of defect in some of these gel coat processes they are using. If anyone has any new info on this it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:57 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Hi Ron,

As far as posting pictures, there's another little button labelled 'Image URL' (2nd from the right) which will cause the picture to show up inline like this:

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:45 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Good info...thanks Chris.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:19 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We have had many problems with cracks. They were repaired 2 time at the factory and both times the repair patches popped out, finally Winnebago replaced one sidewall, (passenger side.) The driver side still has repaired panel and this repair is very visable. We had front cap replaced because of damage, new front cap now cracking. The paint on all panels is flaking off, and has been a problem since new.

We've been dealing with the factory for the past 3 years. This problem started when we were still under warranty. Winnebago's attitude is that our warranty has expired. This has been an on-going issue and yet, Winnebago has refused to do anything.

Has anyone else had this magnitude of problems, and are there any suggetions as to what else we might do?

Thanks
Tom from Minnesota
2004 Itasca Sunflyer
stonewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:32 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Tom,

It's sad to hear this but I feel your pain. I was given the same story from my dealer when he called Winnebago about the cracks on mine. My coach was bought new in late July 2004 and barely has 15,000 miles on it. One would like to think that Winnebago would stand behind their product a little better than this. It seems obious that with as many folks as there are out there with the same story that there is some kind of defect in Winnebago's coating process. I have been out of state on business for a while but plan on contacting the Winnebago Owner Relations department when I return. You should do the same. It seems that there is a Winnebago Rep. out there that knows of this issue and has said that it was due to some dull or bad CNC routers used in some of the 2004 models which improperly cut the openings not allowing the windows/vents to "float" as needed when the coach body flexes. I put up a post on this a while back and one of the members that replied to it described this. I personally view this issue as a significant one and had I known of this before my purchase, as much as I like my coach...I'm quite certain Winnebago would have been checked off my list.