Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Has anyone else had the gelcoat(shiny stuff) peel off their painted portion of the roof leaving zero shine. Looks to be coming off front cap also. What can be done about it? Thx
Old 09-23-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Has anyone else had the gelcoat(shiny stuff) peel off their painted portion of the roof leaving zero shine. Looks to be coming off front cap also. What can be done about it? Thx
Old 09-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

What you are likely referring to is the clearcoat layer on top of your base coat. There have been folks on this forum reporting some clear coat peeling/flaking.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:01 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Beabop: Make one phone call to CDI Paint, Dave Nagle at 641-585-9500. In the '04s up to a certain date, the clear coat was applied too thin on the front cap. I had my front cap and the painted portions of the roof shoulders repainted. CDI stepped up and was great to work with.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I am having the same issue with my 04 meridian. front cap and side radius' Did u have to go to Iowa for them to help ?
cmaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Go with Gary CA recomendations. He turned me on to it as well. CDI took care of the problem. AS a matter of fact; they repainted and clear coated the effected areas after I did the Eternabond thing. They're good folks.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I'm having the same problem on my 05 Journey. At this point it is only an area directly over the awning. This is surprising since I had the MH Perma-Plated when we first drove it of the lot. I may opt to repair it myself.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

CMASERV: CDI has a painter they use in SoCal, they probably have a guy near your location.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:29 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Gary that number you gave me has not been working, called Winnebago and they gave me the same number so hope it just has been out of order.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:23 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Beabop: I would love to hear if you get in touch with CDI. I am having the same problem. Pretty much all over the metal part of the roof. I have a 2003...hope they will fix it also!

Craig

Full-Timer
craigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:19 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Update on CDI. Since I couldn't get through on land or cell phone. Joel, one of the techs at Winnebago called CDI and left a message for Dave to call us. He called and we are getting the problem area painted on our way to Canada next summer. They have paint shops in FL but would probably have to leave the coach overnight. At the factory, they said we would be in and out in 4 hours. I told him this coach is beautiful except for the gun metal shoulders and he said they were aware of the problem and would take care of it. The number Gary gave is correct, it just doesn't work from my area????
Old 10-10-2007, 06:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Excellent timing everyone, I just noticed some funny looking spots at the top of the front cap on my 2004 Meridian and upon closer look it seems to be the clear coat peeling off. Then noticed while on the ladder its doing the same along the curve edge of the roof above the slide-out awning. Even tho the 3 yr warranty has passed is Winnebago taking care of this problem?
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:38 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I just spoke with Winne regarding my 2003. I believe what the rep told me was CDI started doing this work in 2004...so my rig was not done by them.

BUT! CDI offered to take care of the clear coat peeling problem for free if I came to them in FC. Pretty darn nice. I am in California now and not really planning to be in that part of the country for some time. So, I will just find a local paint shop and have them take care of it.

Now, onto my leaking slides....

Full-Timer
craigt is offline   Reply With Quote