Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

GE Profile Avntium 120 removal

Looks like out microwave/convection oven is shot after a power problem (neutral went open). Any one know how to get at the bolts in the top? There is a piece of wood trim over the top but no screws to remove it I can find. I have to assume it is on with Velcro or some kind of click in fasteners but before I use brute force it would be nice to know how it is attached.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

Hi Mark, The OEM micro in my coach was a Sharp so mounting is probably different from your GE.
Try calling Winne Customer Service for some advice......make sure you have the Winne and the chassis serial numbers in hand. If that doesn't get you going in the right direction PM me and I'll try to remember how mine was attached before I replaced it.
Good luck
Old 11-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Run through this link should find what you need.
The three screws maybe under the felt cabinet shelf liner.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

We have the same oven, but in a Newmar so no idea how yours is fastened in. In fact I don't even know how ours is, have never needed to take it out.
I think calling Winnebago as earlier suggested would be the best, or maybe a local dealer.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We removed the grill on the top of the micro and I can see some self tapping screws coming down from the top and one bolt. Assuming Winne put the oven in before the trim piece was on there must be a way to remove it. A call to Winnebago tomorrow is the ticket I guess. Thanks all. I saved that PDF BTW. We happen to also have the Sony TV in it that has a Vizio 29" replacement on the way that will fit nicely in the opening. Christmas present to ourselves.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Here's some text from a description by user LK23 that I printed out in December, 2010 (his web site that included this info doesn't seem to be accessible now). You might PM him and see if he has more info and/or his pictures of the process available.
Replacement of GE Advantium in Horizon 40AD

First, the wood trim must be removed. I found the trim wedged tight between the Advantium and the left side wall. And, the velcro backing was stuck securely. After prying, I removed the trim and the wood cracked in the corner. I took this trim piece to a woodworking shop where they glued the cracked area and shaved some the wood edge so it would fit better.

Removing the top screws allows removal of Advantium. The backside has a bracket that fits into a L-shaped bracket on the wall behind the unit. Just remove the screws and lift the back upwards to remove. Caution: This unit is heavy. Replacement is in reverse order being careful to align the rear vent.

Hope this helps...

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Good luck on this one! Ours has broken a $5.00 part & I'll be darned if I (or any of the RV tech's I shown it to) can figure out how to free this thing. Another example of RV design that makes no sense!

I called Rexhall & they have nothing to offer....fortunately ours still works and my plan is to drive it into the Rexhall plant....block their entrance....& refuse to leave until they show me how to liberate it!!

I think it will require the trim piece be preyed loose to get at the top. Please post some pictures if you get yours free!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2067257055.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	540.2 KB
ID:	29743  
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
I think it will require the trim piece be preyed loose to get at the top. Please post some pictures if you get yours free!
Will do. Hoping we don't have to butcher the woodwork.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I took mine out and don't butcher the woodwork. What is above your microwave? We have a wine glass cabinet with a stapled floor and side that I carefully pulled up and out. there are 2 holes that the cord goes through and I pulled slowly from there. The bolts are long and take a while to undo to lower the microwave. The biggest thing is to support the micro, we used a plastic crate with wood spacing to be under the microwave. We padded and tapped the side cabinet, backsplash and countertop with cardboard to protect the wood and Corian. The cardboard on the counter allowed the microwave, after lowering, to slide towards us so we could lift and remove it. With the vent in the back, just lower the front first and pull away. Just go slow and careful. Now the biggie - I don't know how your microwave is mounted or where. Ours is in a 40' Vectra but should (could) be similar. Also we have a GE Profile Advantium 120.

Also the 2 bolts in the front are all that holds it except for the rail in the back it is resting on. Lower the front and lift the back slightly and then out. Hopefully this helps and is like yours.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Jerry and all. I called Winnebago and they say it is either on with Velcro or brads. No holes from brads so we will see.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Off topic but it might not be a throw away oven. There are 3 thermo cavity capacitors that are an easy fix to check if you remove the oven.
My GE Advantium died ...I replaced the cavity capacitor in the exhaust area $19 on Amazon...works.

btw dont use a meter to check if open or closed unless you know what state the capacitor is normally...2 are closed 1 is open.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #12
KIX
Winnebago Master

Mark, this info may be of no use to you but it's how mine (Sharp) was mounted. Remove the grease filters from the underside to expose two very long (like 15" or so) screws that ran diagonally from the bottom front to the upper rear. those were in addition to the screws from the top down. When all the screws are removed the front will swing down to allow lifting the rear bottom edge off of the wall mounted bracket.
Hope this helps you some.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Advantium 120 removal (08 Vectra 40TD)

Pictures of my removal. Hopefully these show because I'm baffled by the procedure of displaying pictures.

We had to replace the circuit board and transformer.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I have had a problem with my speedcooker also. I went to the GE web site and found the instal instructions for the oven. There are two screws at the top that holds it up but there also is a bracket on the back that it hangs on. You should be able to get the instructions by going to the GE advantium 120 web site.
for36rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:08 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

It is out

We got the oven out! The trim piece was just Velcroed on. There is an angle bracket attached to the top of the oven and matching one attached to the ceiling of the coach. The one on the oven is almost the same size as the trim piece making it difficult to get anything behind it to pull it off. I used a small wire tent stake and vice grips to get behind just under the bottom to pull. Two of the three did not release and pulled from the bracket.

Since the three bolts GE uses in the top are not in line, the center one did not line up with the ends, Winnebago used three extra self tapping metal screws to reinforce the bracket. They must remove the grill from the front top of the oven to be able to see where it is safe to drive them.

The rear bracket that the oven sits on is the original GE screwed to a metal frame with 11 screws. I don't think this could come loose even on the worst roads.

By the dimensions given by GE the new oven (on the way) should bolt right up if the bracket in the back has not been changed. Keeping our fingers crossed on that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oven1.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	30258   Click image for larger version

Name:	ovenopening.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	30259  

Old 12-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Wow, good job, Mark! Too bad you have to replace the oven but they are great ovens. Something to talk about around the fire.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Just remembered...when you get your replacement oven dont forget to modify the exhaust fan to discharge out the back rather than the top. (ask me how I know haha)
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:08 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five2o View Post
Just remembered...when you get your replacement oven dont forget to modify the exhaust fan to discharge out the back rather than the top. (ask me how I know haha)
Just by luck while waiting for the new one I read the installation instructions online & noticed that. Easy enough to miss.

The three self alligning screws on the new one are all in a straight line so drilling 1 new hole in Winnebago's bracket made it so I did not have to add any screws. It is in and almost complete. My drill battery ran out and the spare is shot so it is charging. A couple more screws and the trim plate then we can cook.

Tags
removal