Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to ed rzepka
Gasser Slide Out Problems

I see reading through the Winnebago forum that there appears to be an unusual number of units having slide out problems. Some appear to be pretty serious and have been repaired a number of times. From the signatures of the people posting, the problems appear to be mainly with diesels. Is this true or are gassers have the same problem?
ed rzepka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I did not start haveing trouble with mine until last year when I boon docked in Maine in February at -5 deg F. Figure it may have had some water in the system and it froze. System was again frozed today when I went out to reset full home system. Broke free after third try. Do have a diesel but have not had problems before. Mine is 7 years old.
jk
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2012 vista 30T and I have noticed the drivers side front slide looks like is is too far forward in the hole and is rubbing that seal quite a bit, does anyone know what the warranty period on the slides, I have read about several coming miss aligned from the factory but I just noticed mine last summer
Okierambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The gassers use the same system, which has changed over the years. The way to check the slide for dropping is to see if the paint lines/decals line up when the slide is in. They were in line when the coach was new. One piece of advice is to make sure the coach is level before extending the slides. I had one of the nylon glides fracture and I may have caused it myself. Our drive is slopped and I ran the slide out briefly to get into a cabinet without leveling and started noticing problems sometime later. I don't know for sure if that was the cause but it could have.

I don't know the percentage of failures between manufacturers, but there are more Winnebagos sold, so the sample is larger....

Good luck,
Dave
Old 01-08-2015, 09:43 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2013 Sunstar 26HE. My slide just started causing me problems. I started to extend it and heard a noise as if something fell inside the fridge. I continued extending the slide and it made the noise again. The slide was approximately one inch from the wall when the slide stopped. The slide did not make the noise when I pulled the slide in.

It is at the dealership now. They are claiming the slide needed to be lubed and the noise is gone. Unsure if the slide is now properly sealing against the wall. Obviously, I will check when it is time to pick it up. I really don't believe lubing the slide solved the problem. They are also replacing an hydraulic hose for the leveling jacks.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

We had to have the full wall slide on our 2013 Adventurer adjusted with about 8,000 miles on the coach. The new Lippert system uses gear racks and electric motors on the ends of the slides rather than the hydraulic cylinders used in the HWH slides.

They need regular lubrication, and are more prone to getting debris in the system (sand dirt and other crud in the gear racks) than the older system. We're going on 20,000 miles and haven't had any further problems. I do use a dry lubricant with PTFE to lube them regularly.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
We had to have the full wall slide on our 2013 Adventurer adjusted with about 8,000 miles on the coach. The new Lippert system uses gear racks and electric motors on the ends of the slides rather than the hydraulic cylinders used in the HWH slides.

They need regular lubrication, and are more prone to getting debris in the system (sand dirt and other crud in the gear racks) than the older system. We're going on 20,000 miles and haven't had any further problems. I do use a dry lubricant with PTFE to lube them regularly.
Do you lube each of the gear tracks?
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyGuy View Post
Do you lube each of the gear tracks?
Yes. I lube each rack and pull back the rubber sealing gasket far enough to get a couple shots on each of the gears. It's generally done just before we slide in to move on to the next destination.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post

How often do you do you lube them?
Old 01-09-2015, 05:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
How often do you do you lube them?
We usually lube ours about once a week when were on the road. Our trips last from 3 weeks to 3 months moving every 3 or 4 days. If we stay put for some time like we did last year when our Jeep was in the body shop we lube the slides when we setup and again when we're ready to move. It could be a little overkill, but so far we haven't had another problem, and I'd like to keep it that way.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:09 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I would bet that you have Power Gear slides. If you have dual rams below the slide box there is a Mfr. tag and serial#. After a warranty adjustment to mine, I have had no problems. In fact, I'm glad I do NOT have the Swintec slides. There is a good section in the owners manual about the care of Power Gear Slides. Lubing the rack (the gear tooth) is not recommended because it will attract dirt. Your slide most likely just need a good adjustment. Afterwards, it should last a long time. Always level the coach prior to running the slides.
If there is slide wall contact with the coach, you should get it adjusted ASAP to avoid damage to guides, framing , or seals.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:24 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghutch View Post
I would bet that you have Power Gear slides. If you have dual rams below the slide box there is a Mfr. tag and serial#. After a warranty adjustment to mine, I have had no problems. In fact, I'm glad I do NOT have the Swintec slides. There is a good section in the owners manual about the care of Power Gear Slides. Lubing the rack (the gear tooth) is not recommended because it will attract dirt. Your slide most likely just need a good adjustment. Afterwards, it should last a long time. Always level the coach prior to running the slides.
If there is slide wall contact with the coach, you should get it adjusted ASAP to avoid damage to guides, framing , or seals.
Power Gear is now owned by Lippert. I think you'll find they now recommend the use of "dry lubricants" containing PTFE. Before the advent of PTFE lubricants were frowned upon for the very reasons you mention. The new dry lubricants go on much like the dry antiperspirants. They're dry on contact and don't attract dirt.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:29 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Schwintek (Lippert) now recommends "CRC Power Lube with PTFE." Youtube has a lot of good videos produced by Lippert about their slides. They are very specific on where and what to lubricate.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Anyone know how long the warranty is on the slides?
Old 01-25-2015, 02:28 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okierambler View Post
Anyone know how long the warranty is on the slides?

Pretty sure it in the 12 month original warranty.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:57 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

One Year for Schwintek.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:04 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
I see reading through the Winnebago forum that there appears to be an unusual number of units having slide out problems. Some appear to be pretty serious and have been repaired a number of times. From the signatures of the people posting, the problems appear to be mainly with diesels. Is this true or are gassers have the same problem?
Not sure which specific model-year or model you are asking about, and since Winnebago has made supplier changes throughout the years, I don't have a definitive answer. But I can tell you that on my lower-end 2005 Itasca Sunova 34A and my father-in-laws 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 30B, both gas engine, the slide-outs are a weak link.

The mechanism employs the use of a plastic gear that can easily fracture the gear teeth or totally break. At that point, the slide will not extend or retract properly, to the point where it won't do anything. The gear is plastic by design so if there is too much load, the teeth fail so as not to damage other slide components or the slide room itself.

My father-in-law just had one rail of his slide repaired, and locally was charged approximately $900. Keep in mind that as one rail goes bad, it puts additional pressure on the other one, so it's possible to end up with a $1,800 headache, especially since over the years, it can happen over and over. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:27 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the responses, I bought extended warrenty on the thing, guess I will see if it will cover it.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:18 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
Not sure which specific model-year or model you are asking about, and since Winnebago has made supplier changes throughout the years, I don't have a definitive answer. But I can tell you that on my lower-end 2005 Itasca Sunova 34A and my father-in-laws 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 30B, both gas engine, the slide-outs are a weak link.

The mechanism employs the use of a plastic gear that can easily fracture the gear teeth or totally break. At that point, the slide will not extend or retract properly, to the point where it won't do anything. The gear is plastic by design so if there is too much load, the teeth fail so as not to damage other slide components or the slide room itself.

My father-in-law just had one rail of his slide repaired, and locally was charged approximately $900. Keep in mind that as one rail goes bad, it puts additional pressure on the other one, so it's possible to end up with a $1,800 headache, especially since over the years, it can happen over and over. -RT
Actually I am looking at buying new.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:53 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
I have a 2013 Sunstar 26HE. My slide just started causing me problems. I started to extend it and heard a noise as if something fell inside the fridge. I continued extending the slide and it made the noise again. The slide was approximately one inch from the wall when the slide stopped. The slide did not make the noise when I pulled the slide in.

It is at the dealership now. They are claiming the slide needed to be lubed and the noise is gone. Unsure if the slide is now properly sealing against the wall. Obviously, I will check when it is time to pick it up. I really don't believe lubing the slide solved the problem. They are also replacing an hydraulic hose for the leveling jacks.
**Update**

The dealership took another look at the slide. They have ordered $1800 in parts. Not sure how you go from a lube issue to $1800 in parts, but if this fixes the problem, I will be happy.

Tags
gas, slide, slide out