Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-12-2007, 01:14 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

RV travel still cheaper and less hassle than air travel. Which I never do anyway.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 05:11 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34.5A:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fakrwee:
...We will make adjustments in eating out and dry camp a lot for free instead of paying for campgrounds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen the term 'drycamping' before but I guess I didn't understand what it means: is it a reference to camping in a parking lot? If so, what chain-stores have drycamping without getting in trouble... I see a lot of RV's at spending the night at Walmart stores. Sounds like a great idea if the police don't knock on the door... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Drycamping is camping with no hookups and being self contained. I meant it in Alaska and not in Wal-marts, although I have stayed my share of nights in Wal-mart. There are a lot of pullouts and open areas with no facilities you can stay for free in Alaska. I figure out of the 50 or 60 nights on the road we can drycamp about half of them.
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:01 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34.5A:
I see a lot of RV's at spending the night at Walmart stores. Sounds like a great idea if the police don't knock on the door... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've overnighted at Wal-Mart a couple of times, not my fav really but its acceptable in a pinch. Of the two I prefer to stay at the Camping World lots myself. If you know you are going to stay at either place call ahead so you don't get a surprise. Due to the popularity of the Wal-Mart policy many communities have began to ban overnights in their parking lot. Its up to each store and its a good idea to check with the manager on duty upon arrival, they will usually tell you where to park. Oh and don't deploy your slides, awnings or BBQ.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:48 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

While we'd all prefer to pay less for fuel, everything is relative. According to an economic report I heard today, in terms of inflation and purchasing power of the buck, we're paying less for fuel now than in 1980.

We're still going to roll whenever we can.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:18 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

We are in Grand Junction CO right now and I filled the toad up a few days ago at a Sinclair station for $3.07, but I think it's gone up some since.
We are heading for Lake Cascade ID state park on Thursday to be camp hosts for the summer, so don't plan to move until Sep.

After that we will come back by here on our way to Bouse AZ (near Quartzite).
Old 05-14-2007, 11:28 AM   #26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
While we'd all prefer to pay less for fuel, everything is relative. According to an economic report I heard today, in terms of inflation and purchasing power of the buck, we're paying less for fuel now than in 1980.

We're still going to roll whenever we can. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That might be true, but it's got to be close. Factor in today's cost of automobiles, (that new MH you might want), food, insurance, medical, property taxes, and housing and does everyone have more money left-over today than 25 years ago? Not me...

My house today would sell for approximately $525,000 today; due to a huge recent market adjustment in California, it would have sold 14 months ago for $635,000. 25 years ago the market price would have been around $140k; my property tax today is $3,000 a year but a new owner would have to pay $6,600 a year, so the biggest problem for most people is the affordability of homes, which affects all your other purchases.

Sure, I could afford $7 or $8 for a gallon of gas if I didn't have to pay todays prices on housing. Not sure how young people coming out of college can survive all the costs in California. In fact, I bought my home 17 years ago and couldn't possily afford it or even qualify at today's market prices.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:28 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

RICHARD 34.5 A: Well put, many or most people do not equate all of these contingencies when factoring their ability to pay todays prices. Something has got to give some where. Somewhat like cheaper Ethanol made from corn. Cheaper at the pump is only part of the equation, the true cost to the consumer lies in all the other products he buys, that will reflect the higher price of corn. We have to find a better alternative, still.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote