Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2017, 06:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Gaping Awning Slide Cover

Our Itasca 36M has one full length slideout on the right side. On the outside top, where the slide topper attaches to the trim, we have an issue with leaves collecting in what is called the Awning Slide Cover. At least, that's want the parts catalog calls it. It does look like an awning slide cover, but this has nothing to do with the awning.
Instead, it runs along the length of the slide and fits snugly against the slide topper at either end so leaf debris can't collect between the topper and the Awning Slide Cover.
But in the middle of the slide, there is a 4" - 5" gap between the cover and the edge of the slide topper. Perfect for collecting leaves. If they stay wet in there, we've noticed a mildew smell in the storage cupboards below it inside the coach.
If you try and sweep it out, you just end up pushing a bunch of the leaf debris to either end, compounding the problem.
Is there supposed to be a support of some kind to hold the middle of the trim piece tight against the slide to keep this from happening in the first place?
CAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If it helps, here is what the full wall slide topper on my almost 3 year old Winnebago looks like. There is a very slight low spot in the middle next to the slide outside wall it holds at most a cup or two of water and dries very quickly.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3962.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	169086  
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Randy- I think this is what it is supposed to look like. Mine opens up to about 4” wide along the middle, so it collects a lot more water and leaves. Do you see any kind of reinforcement on yours that holds it against the frame?
Old 10-15-2017, 06:20 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Are you talking about where the fabric material is affixed permanently to the side of the coach? If so, that should be in a channel which is screwed into the framing st regular intervals, just like your awning on the other side.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks BirchyBoy,
This slide is actually on the same side as the awning. The parts catalog doesn’t show any kind of exterior support to hold the Awning Slide Cover against the coach
Old 10-16-2017, 12:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I looked at mine and the end caps say Carefree. Guessing mine is a Kover III, which is what I linked to below for a exploded view. You may have to go to WinnebagoInd web site and use their online parts catalog or call them to try to figure out which one you have.

You might contact Carefree of Colorado, suspect that if you sent them a photo of your cover and the problem that they could advise you on what is wrong and how to fix. They also have find service links on their web site if you want to pay someone to fix it. Good luck.

Exploded Parts List
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Maybe its my eyes.
But it appears that the metal wrap is higher than the fabric where it extends from the coach.
Unless that is the color of the awning fabric I am mistaking for the metal wrap.
I really don't think that is right.
Lee
Old 10-17-2017, 05:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everybody- I now have the repair shop looking into it, and will post back what they find
Old 10-25-2017, 04:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAnthony View Post
Thanks everybody- I now have the repair shop looking into it, and will post back what they find
Good luck ! We have the same coach and carry a battery operated blower and use it to blow off the slide toppers and various other stuff around the camp site.
If you look in the manual it tells about how to remove the water off the toppers by using the levelers to tilt the coach and remove any standing water. Hate it when I forget that and retract slides and get flooded in side
Rick FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAnthony View Post
Our Itasca 36M has one full length slideout on the right side. On the outside top, where the slide topper attaches to the trim, we have an issue with leaves collecting in what is called the Awning Slide Cover. At least, that's want the parts catalog calls it. It does look like an awning slide cover, but this has nothing to do with the awning.
Instead, it runs along the length of the slide and fits snugly against the slide topper at either end so leaf debris can't collect between the topper and the Awning Slide Cover.
But in the middle of the slide, there is a 4" - 5" gap between the cover and the edge of the slide topper. Perfect for collecting leaves. If they stay wet in there, we've noticed a mildew smell in the storage cupboards below it inside the coach.
If you try and sweep it out, you just end up pushing a bunch of the leaf debris to either end, compounding the problem.
Is there supposed to be a support of some kind to hold the middle of the trim piece tight against the slide to keep this from happening in the first place?
I am not following you. Please post a picture or two. I have some thoughts but until I can see where the problem is I won't confuse the issue by expressing them.

Thanks.

Rick Y
Old 10-26-2017, 06:08 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I have this same slide topper awning cover on my 2013 Journey slides. I do not have the wide gap you have. However the leaves still get under & between the cover & awning. After the leaves fall I clean it out as follows. Make sure your patio awning is closed, this will aid in keeping the cover in place. There are 3 allen head screws. Remove the 2 upper screws on one end only. there will be a little movement of the cover until it contacts the patio awning. If you need to open it more , open the patio awning slightly. Then you can remove the leaves & other debris inside the cover to the mid point of the awning. You can also use a sponge & soapy water to clean the inside which will be quite dirty. After you are satisfied it is clean, close the patio awning & this will aid in putting the cover back in place so you can reinstall the removed allen head screws. After reinstalled repeat this process for the other end. A word of caution. If you remove both ends at the same time you run into the chance of the cover falling completely off & out of its lower hinge point track. Then you will need 2 people & 2 ladders to reinstall. On the short slides, I have had no problem removing both end caps at the same time to clean out the area behind the cover.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, slide