Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2006, 12:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

This is a problem I notice in the spring before our first trip. I would set the thermostat to call for heat. The blower fan will come on. You will hear the furnace attempting to ignite but it won't. We standing by the furnace outside you can smell the propane so I sure it is getting gas. I took cover off furnace and it ran fine. Cycled on and off as it should.

When we went camping in the spring all worked fine. The past two weeks it worked fine. Last Friday it acted up again and agin worked when I took the door off. It would fail as soon as I put the door on and it cycled back on.

I checked all the normal stuff like spiders etc in thje tubes but all appears clear. I talked to an RV teck but he just scratched his head and said he would have to see it. I hate to speng the $$$ if its an easy fix. Any help will be apprechiated.

Bucks County PA
JJ Hamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

This is a problem I notice in the spring before our first trip. I would set the thermostat to call for heat. The blower fan will come on. You will hear the furnace attempting to ignite but it won't. We standing by the furnace outside you can smell the propane so I sure it is getting gas. I took cover off furnace and it ran fine. Cycled on and off as it should.

When we went camping in the spring all worked fine. The past two weeks it worked fine. Last Friday it acted up again and agin worked when I took the door off. It would fail as soon as I put the door on and it cycled back on.

I checked all the normal stuff like spiders etc in thje tubes but all appears clear. I talked to an RV teck but he just scratched his head and said he would have to see it. I hate to speng the $$$ if its an easy fix. Any help will be apprechiated.

Bucks County PA
Old 10-16-2006, 05:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

What door are you talking about? The outside cover, the air return vent, etc? Have you checked or changed the filter?
Old 10-16-2006, 06:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I strongly suspect you have a circuit board going. On our coach we had the "not running" symptom. We took it to a couple of dealers and they would remove the furnace and it worked on their bench tests. They would pronounce the furnace fixed. the next evening when we needed the furnace it would not light. finally I had them test it in their lot after re-instalation and it would not light! They replaced the circuit board and it has worked ever since.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The door is the outside cover. When I take the cover off the furnace runs fine. I can put the cover back in place and it runs fine. As soon as I put the screws back in it won't lite again.

Bucks County PA
Old 10-17-2006, 03:45 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I wonder if fastening the door is causing some restriction in air flow. Perhaps something is binding or twisingt the motor when the screws are tightend which reduces the fan motor speed. Without enough airflow, the sail switch won't close and the burner won't light.

Is the sail switch itself free to move with and without the cover?
Old 10-22-2006, 12:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The problem has been resolved. Reading the replies to my OP I felt the problem had to be air flow. I remembered the original owner had put filter material in the heat vents. I started out having the same problem this weekend. Then I removed the filters and all is well. Furnace runs great. Happy day! Thanks for all the help...John

Bucks County PA