Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-20-2015, 12:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Full Wall Slide DEAD

Hi Guys,

I have a 2011 Journey 34Y with 3 slides including a full wall slide on the driver's side of the coach. We just got home from a weekend trip and I was putting out all of the slides to unpack and the full wall slide won't do anything. The other 2 ran right out, the slide lock is unlocked and there is no Led fault lights lit. It is a PowerGear slide unit. Any ideas out there????

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:04 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Hi Chief,
I have a 2010 34Y. Whenever I have had trouble with my slides, I turn off the battery disconnect switches by the door for a minute. This has worked for me every time (total 3 times). Also have the engine running.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to tnteacherguy
My Tour should be similar. I had the same thing happen except that the keypad didn't have any lights lit. Not to mention fault codes.

It ended up being a defective slide lock switch. I bypassed temporarily with a paper clip and was on my way. Found a new switch online for $6. Ordered two.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, I will give both items a try...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:38 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Hmmm, I have the same problem but I am way up in Tok, Alaska. Is the slide lock switch the "key lock switch?" On my unit the key lock controls all the slides. The other slides work (Lippert) but the PowerGear is not getting any power? Is there as safety switch on the slide lock toggle switch, or on the screw lock mechanism?? Does anyone know where the fuse is for the PowerGear system?? I have no lights which means it is not getting any power . I turned off the chassis and house batteries but still nothing. Any help would be appreciated.
>> Dennis
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

From memory (out shopping with DW).
You might have to check both locks. On my Tour they are located behind black boxes (about 8" x 15"). One was in an upper cabinet in my living area and the other was in a bedroom closet. After removing the 4 Philips screws in each box it revealed the end of the actual slide lock mechanism which had a black switch on the left and the same switch on the right as I was looking at it.
I removed the yellow wire from each switch and shorted them together with a paper clip. The black was a ground and not necessary.
I did the forward lock first with no luck. Then I did the lock in the rear of the slide wall (wife's closet) and Voilą. I had power to the black wall switch/buttons.

I have pics somewhere. But they're really not nec. Once you've found those black boxes the rest becomes apparent.

Good luck.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:31 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Tnteacherguy,
I removed the black covers. The rear one was working fine. The front one was jammed and the slide bar would not fully "unlock" (open). It would stop about 1/4 inch short of touching the micro-switches. I tried several times to get the motor to lock or unlock and it barely moved. So, I manually rotated the motor shaft to get the bar to the fully open/unlock position. (I tried to get the whole unit off but the caulking on the top had it glued solid.) To prevent the problem from recurring, I unplugged the motor wires which now means the lock remains in the unlocked position. This will work until I get back home from Alaska. The slide now works fine.
Do you know if I can get the lock mechanism out from inside by pulling it down? I don't want to break the caulking seal on the top or the weep hole on the side until I get home. But it looks like I should be able to pull it down. It acts like a stone or something is in the gear mechanism.
Thanks for your help. I'm sorry it took to long to reply as internet is hard to find up here.
>> Dennis
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I'm glad you were able to reach the source of the problem. I'm sorry that you're condition was more involved than mine.
I don't have any experience with the actual lock assemblies.
Maybe someone else can chime in...or a call to WBGO techline could get the answer you need.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:27 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Chiefbvfd,
OP Have you made any progress.?
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide