Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2016, 08:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

full wall slide

My coach is a 2013 model and as such has the two track slide system by Lippert.
This slide has broke twice. It needs a three track system. Has anyone had this same problem? I am told the two track is breaking due to the weight of the slide. It is breaking pieces on the tracks. I am new to this forum and would appreciate any additional insight. Thank you.
Anchor man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:04 AM   #2
aa1ssradio

What type of rig. I have a full wall slide on our Winnebago and it works 100%. Never had a problem with it.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor man View Post
My coach is a 2013 model and as such has the two track slide system by Lippert.
This slide has broke twice. It needs a three track system. Has anyone had this same problem? I am told the two track is breaking due to the weight of the slide. It is breaking pieces on the tracks. I am new to this forum and would appreciate any additional insight. Thank you.
In all likelihood the slide is misaligned to the opening in the wall rather than being too heavy. I would strongly suggest you take it to the Winnebago factory service department in Forest City IA. for repairs.

Our full wall slide was repaired once and failed a second time. When we took it to the factory for repairs they found the slide was not square to the wall opening. It was high at the rear causing a poor alignment of the gears and racks at the front (pinched at the top, and barely engaging at the bottom).

They removed the slide, removed and repositioned the body mounted roller at the rear, and added another roller under the kitchen island. In addition they replaced the motors, drive assemblies, and racks. It's been a little over a year since the repair was made and so far all is working well.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Full wall slide

My rig is a 2013 Itasca meridian 34 B. The full wall slide is the kitchen slide. The slide extended well but retracted to all but a 1 inch gap on the aft end. Had track , gear and motor repaired and replaced in May 16. In July 16 upon retraction did the same thing. Motor ok but gear and track broke. Winnabago has now gone to a three track system on the newer models I understand because of the problem. My repair guy said two track system not good and will just break again recommending three track system.
I have had this coach since new and never had the problem. This seems unusual. Thanks for all the input. R/
Anchor man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor man View Post
My rig is a 2013 Itasca meridian 34 B. The full wall slide is the kitchen slide. The slide extended well but retracted to all but a 1 inch gap on the aft end. Had track , gear and motor repaired and replaced in May 16. In July 16 upon retraction did the same thing. Motor ok but gear and track broke. Winnabago has now gone to a three track system on the newer models I understand because of the problem. My repair guy said two track system not good and will just break again recommending three track system.
I have had this coach since new and never had the problem. This seems unusual. Thanks for all the input. R/
WGO is now upgrading the Schwintek to Powergear slide mechanism on a case by case situation....you may be able to get that upgrade...there have been several on this forum that have had that upgrade done at either Forest City, Junction City, OR and there may be a few dealers doing that upgrade as well now. I would give WGO a call.
Good Luck!!
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We've got a full wall slide in our Journey. At the Winnebago Country Coach factory in Oregon now getting repairs. They are replacing the slide unit entirely with another Lippert system that is suppose to be an upgrade from the original design. Was hoping for the Powergear retrofit since I haven't heard of any failures after that was done. But with Winnebago picking up the tab, can't really complain. Just hoping that this is the last time I have to deal with the slide.

Leon

2014 Winnebago Journey 36M
Oak Harbor, WA
periopnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We just left the factory in Forest City this afternoon and they replaced the kitchen slide Lippert with the power gear track system.
I was a little worried since there were 2 others customer there that had the power gear retro fit installed, one couple had theirs done last Friday and it failed over the weekend and had to drive back to factory on Monday to get it repaired again.
Another couple has had theirs replaced 5 times so far and was back again.
We made it to Altoona tonight and it worked perfectly, so hope it keeps up working.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hello,
When you speak of 3 track system do you mean 3 drive motors or 2 drive with a support roller.

Thanks
Todd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2016 Sightseer 33C with three slides.
Two of the slides are Power Gear.

The smaller bedroom Power Gear slide broke as we were leaving the GNR. Winnebago fixed the slide. They said that a motor had come loose.

Now that I'm out of warranty the large Kitchen Power Gear slide is broken. I noticed the rubber seal was coming loose. My dealer says that the slide mechanism is bent and has to be replaced. Winnebago will cover the repair under a good will warranty.

I hope that Power Gear slides don't end up as problematic as Lippert.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to ed rzepka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
I have a 2016 Sightseer 33C with three slides.
Two of the slides are Power Gear.

The smaller bedroom Power Gear slide broke as we were leaving the GNR. Winnebago fixed the slide. They said that a motor had come loose.

Now that I'm out of warranty the large Kitchen Power Gear slide is broken. I noticed the rubber seal was coming loose. My dealer says that the slide mechanism is bent and has to be replaced. Winnebago will cover the repair under a good will warranty.

I hope that Power Gear slides don't end up as problematic as Lippert.

Safe travels. JD
Keep us us posted. I am curious as to how the slide mechanism got bent.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:53 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Just at La Mesa in Davis, Ca. The parts department folks said they have ordered a bunch of new gear systems for warranty repairs. So, they are spinning up for the repairs. We just bought a "used" 2016, 35P Adventurer, hope it has the newer system. Pick it up in two weeks.
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide