Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-22-2007, 05:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hi,
Have not posted in quite a while, but monitor the forum almost every day. We have taken the plunge, sold the house, and now live full time in our hurricane escape pod.. AKA our motorhome.

But, we did not hit the road, but rather made some hard decisions about where to live and what to do with the rest of our life.

We bought a couple of acres in Picayune, MS -- just six miles across the Louisiana state line up I-59.

We decided we really love the Winnebago and want to take care of it so we spent a lot of time on IRV2 researching "Barns". We now have the slab formed up for an RV dream barn -- 36 x 60 with a 14 x 14 roll up door. This is a pre-engineered steel building.

We are living in the RV on the property while we build our new Mississippi home. In addition to the RV full hookups in the Barn, we are putting two on the side of the house -- we are only 4 miles off the Intersate and have made lots of friends traveling that may stop by for a few nights.

Our coach is doing amazingly well. I have had to change batteries, but no other problems except our back up camera. It has gone South.

We hope to have all this wrapped up within a year so we can travel a bit. We are still working and commute now to the university. Our 50 mpg Prius offsets the 8 mpg of the Cat.

Thanks for keeping the posts rolling. We really do hope to make it to a Rally some day.

Walt
Old 04-22-2007, 05:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi,
Have not posted in quite a while, but monitor the forum almost every day. We have taken the plunge, sold the house, and now live full time in our hurricane escape pod.. AKA our motorhome.

But, we did not hit the road, but rather made some hard decisions about where to live and what to do with the rest of our life.

We bought a couple of acres in Picayune, MS -- just six miles across the Louisiana state line up I-59.

We decided we really love the Winnebago and want to take care of it so we spent a lot of time on IRV2 researching "Barns". We now have the slab formed up for an RV dream barn -- 36 x 60 with a 14 x 14 roll up door. This is a pre-engineered steel building.

We are living in the RV on the property while we build our new Mississippi home. In addition to the RV full hookups in the Barn, we are putting two on the side of the house -- we are only 4 miles off the Intersate and have made lots of friends traveling that may stop by for a few nights.

Our coach is doing amazingly well. I have had to change batteries, but no other problems except our back up camera. It has gone South.

We hope to have all this wrapped up within a year so we can travel a bit. We are still working and commute now to the university. Our 50 mpg Prius offsets the 8 mpg of the Cat.

Thanks for keeping the posts rolling. We really do hope to make it to a Rally some day.

Walt
Old 04-22-2007, 05:37 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Walt,
Thanks for your note. We too are making plans and will soon be heading to Tennessee. The house is up for sale but we are at least a year before we can retire. maybe we'll look you up when we finally get to head that way. you note is a real inspiration. Thanks.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:37 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Congrats, my wife and I gave some thought to full timing but chickened out. I still think it's the most inspirational way to retire. Now we just make do with 2 to 3 mos at a time on the road. Good luck and happy retirement.
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:24 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Congrats Walt. Sounds like a fun adventure. Glad to hear you're getting past that hurricane that clobbered you.

Post pictures of the new RV suite if you get a chance.

Don
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Hi Walt,

It was great reading about your plans. Glad you and Sheri are doing well and enjoying the RV.

It seems you're doing your homework, studying things out and planning well so that you can continue your RV'ing. I certainly hope you do make one of the rallys in the future as it'll be great to see you guys again.

Joe
Old 04-22-2007, 03:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hi Joe,
Little did I know in 2003 when I started looking at a motorhome that the RV would be an integral part of our survival for many years.

You and Shelly came down at the right time. New Orleans is very different now.

I saw something about your ankle. How are you doing? Hi to Shelly and the family.

Walt