Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Front windshield repair/replacement

We have a crack at the bottom of the right front windshield of our 2000 Itasca Horizon. We have had this before and had to have the windshield replaced. The crack is over 6" long, so we are told that it cannot be repaired.
Any suggestions about repair or how & where get an inexpensive replacement if we need to to that?
Thanks.
jocaol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocaol View Post
We have a crack at the bottom of the right front windshield of our 2000 Itasca Horizon. We have had this before and had to have the windshield replaced. The crack is over 6" long, so we are told that it cannot be repaired.
Any suggestions about repair or how & where get an inexpensive replacement if we need to to that?
Thanks.
Seems your insurance should pay at least part of the new windshield. Even if you have a $1000 deductable the insurance is still going to pickup a little of the cost. Last spring my 1/2 windshield cost $1138.00. Insurance picked it all up.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Had a 1000.00 ded and the drivers side replacement cost 999.00. If its not in the line of vision I would just leave it until it is. We got a new windshield and the first trip out it was hit again. Now we have full coverage glass. I'm not going to replace any windshield until necessary, as the insurance would be glad to cancel us.
1940 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Full view windshields can cost $2,500.00 to $3,500.00. I called the insurance company (just to check if I ever needed one). They said it would be 100% covered after the deductable is met.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I would leave it alone unless it gets into your field of vision that way you don't have to worry about leaks.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
KIX
Winnebago Master

To the OP.......The frame around the w/s on your Winne is steel. It will rust, particularly along the bottom. Rust will cause a w/s to crack as it swells. Could this be your issue?

Florida requires that a damaged w/s be replaced by your ins. co. with NO deductible. My front w/s on the coach in the signature was recently damaged and replaced....both sides......NO deductible. The installer, when finished, gave me what he thought was an invoice for the glass and labor. I reminded him that this was an insurance ordered replacement. He took the invoice back and that was the end of it. I looked at the paper he handed me and it was his company's invoice to the insurance company for the glass and labor. The grand total was $550.......yes, both left and right sides. They are identical to the originals. So.......there is apparently a lot of mark-up in the w/s replacement business.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocaol View Post
Thanks.
If you need to purchase a windshield,We always bought from Duncan Windshield. 1-574-294-6852 ext 2052. They are the most reasonable around. call 2 or 3 MH lots and ask who they use for installation. You will come out much cheaper this way. That being said, I would not replace the windshield if it is not in the line of sight. Your windshield is a sandwich construction. That is two pieces of glass with plastic in between. These are strong and are not part of the safety restraint system. (in a car the windshield braces the airbag in a crash and must be replaced if broken) If the last windshield broke in the same place and was not hit by anything, you might have a windshield cutout that is too small. This binds the windshield and causes it to crack. In this case, it will just do this again.