Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Front Slideout stuck out

Anyone know where the hydraulic reservoir is for slides on 04 Winnebago Journey 34h? Thanks!
Old 07-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

On the Vectra/Horizon it's under the entry steps--I'm not sure about the Journey. See if you can find a bolt with a nut on it under the center lip of the two top steps. That nut comes off and both steps hinge up to allow access to the HWH system below.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Ok thanks. I had found something on the web about that - there is a nut under the step. Actually under both the middle and top steps there are nuts. I need to go get a long socket cuz the bolt sticks out and my socket can't get to nut. Too tight to use a crescent - so I quit cuz wasn't even sure I was goin in right direction. But now that you posted I'll attack with renewed vigor! I'm a farmer's daughter and not afraid to get my hands dirty!! And the rear slide works so I'm hoping the fluid level is just low?
Old 07-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Before you go to too much trouble, look under the living room slide. On my Journey, the slide/jack pump, manifold and fluid reservoir is there.

If the pump runs and your rear slide moves correctly, would not think low fluid would keep your LR slide from retracting. Does the motor run when you hit the retract button?

If the motor does not run when you try to retract the slide, check the inline fuses that are located at the pump.

Other than that, you might want to call HWH and let their tech folks help. They usually have to call you back but are very helpful when they do.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Yes motor runs - and nothing happens. We got home last night from weekend trip - put slides out to unload. When went to retract slides the rear went in no problem. Front went about 3" and quit. Now motor runs but nothing. So when I get home from work I'll look under the front slide. Hoping it's something simple.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

On 2004 Journeys the HWH pump , reservoir, manifolds and circuit board are under the front steps ... the steps lift up when the nut is removed from under the lip of the top two steps ...

The front and back slides are both controlled by two way hydraulic cylinders underneath the slideout ... (the fluid is pumped from one side of the ram to the other) so the amount of fluid in the tank is nearly constant relative to the movement of the slideouts ... (not true for the stabilizing Jacks) ... so be careful about adding fluid to try to solve your problem ...

The first thing I would try is to move the back slide to its opposite state ... and then see what happens when you try to move the front slide ...

On occasion we have trouble with our rear slide ... it is an intermittent problem (probably with a manifold) ... sometimes our back slide does not want to move ... our workaround is to run both slides simultaneously ....

So the second thing I would try is to attempt to run both slides simultaneously ...

I hope this helps you ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Ok! I got today off feom work and am going to work on the slide. Thanks for the info - I'll try your suggestion before I add fluid. I've had a leak up front under the passenger's side - is why I am thinking the fluid level may be low. Was gonna take in to shop and have them solve it after this last trip. Now I for sure will - but gotta get the slide in to drive to shop! Thanks so much
Old 07-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I’ve had to manually retract my huge front slide twice and caution you to check the HWH web site and troubleshooting procedure before getting too aggressive with try this and try that. It’s a very sophisticated hydraulic system and they have numerous cautions concerning reversing direction of movement when troubleshooting and insuring solenoid valves are open prior to manual retraction.
If you can extend your jacks you probably have hydraulic fluid. If you can’t extend your jacks it could be fluid or a couple other items. I had a case similar to yours where the “shuttle valve” was the problem. Prior to replacing it I chatted with HWH representative and he agreed it was probably a good guess. Of course, all this happed after I assumed the hydraulic fluid was low due to a tiny drip, and I over filled it. The web site indicates you can only get a valid check of hydraulic quantity with slides in and jacks up. Good luck and let us know what your final solution is.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Well I've done all I can. Found the reservoir under steps as instructed - was in fact very low as I suspected (have had a leak I've ignored fir several months. Learning my lesson now). Refilled it and still cannot get slide in. Followed instructions in manual - opened valves on solenoids for jacks and slides to relieve pressure - and have tried everything including a come-along winch inside like manual shows - nada. Still stuck. So I'm at the point of gonna drive on back roads to shop. Slide isnt all way out. About a foot. Ughhhh
Old 07-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Well all jacks are up and bedroom slide is in. I may have overfilled it since the LR slide is out. But dunno what else to do. Most of this is after work during downtime. Hard to catch anyone on phone after hours. But since nothing else is working I'll call HWH before I do anything else.

Thanks sooo much for all the replies. Really helped. I'll definitely post the outcome. Any ya know what? As aggravating as slides can be I don't think I'll ever go back to none. The extra space is soooo nice. But....might feel diff tomorrow!!
Old 07-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

It’s a bummer that slide won’t come in and you are wise not to force it. The last time I had to manually get my slide in I found that on the first try I might not have backed out the nut releasing the solenoid valve far enough. But, I was afraid of backing it out too far due to the all the caution statements HWH makes about not releasing the nut more than 4&1/2 turns. I ended up putting a piece of tape on the provided nut driver so I could count exactly 4&1/2 turns and no more. It was then that the slide agreed to come in toward the coach. In my situation the front of the slide was racked about 7 inches out with no movement at the back due to a blown retract line. I’m sure you have been to the HWH site but if not check http://www.hwh.com/mp849999.pdf Also make certain both the retract and extend solenoids have been opened as HWH instructs. On mine, one is on the front of the manifold below the jack solenoids and the other is on the back side rather hard to get at.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Ohhh there's 2 valves to open??? That might be the problem. I found the two in front below the 4 jack solenoids. Very hard to get at and no idea if have opened enough cuz like u - very paranoid about the 4-revolutions warning. Hmm well I'll have another look when I get off work today. Thanks! I keep thinking I'm missing something - shouldn't be this hard. Thanks!!!
Old 07-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

See this for typical HWH solinoid position on manifold for Jacks, (top), slides, (bottom front and back).
http://www.hwh.com/mp648490.pdf
Old 07-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Have you checked to see if the slide out main support nylon "glides" have fallen out or are damaged? This can prevent the slide from begining to "go up the hill" of retraction, and it sounds as though you may have lost one of them.

To retract the room with one missing, it is necessary to life the room and then retract it... Not an easy process. I would call HWH or Winnie Tech and get help to know what to look for and then what to do.

This happened to me, and it's a major pain to repair. Think all day job for someone really mechanically inclined.

NOT a job for a casual mechanic.

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:15 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

That should have read "LIFT the room" not "life". Sorry!

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Paul - thanks for the diagram!! That's exactly where I found what I'm assuming are the slide solenoids and valves. Got home from work late yesterday so ended up with a headlamp on opening the remaining retraction valves. Then decided to let them vent all night and all day today. When I get home from work today I'll hopefully be able to winch in the dang slide.

And Buck/Jeff I've looked under the slide several times. Everything looks normal there. Nothing caught my attention. Sooo hoping it's nothing like that! :(

Stay tuned. Will post tonight's outcome!!! It's such a drag. We live in a @!!** homeowner's assoc. And the RV has been parked on the street at our house since Sunday night. Am sure we're gonna be getting a little letter from them any day now. But! I don't wanna drive it with slide out (but may end up cuz slide is only out about a foot. And tow company won't tow with slide out. Ughhh) can't find a "mobile mechanic" AND really don't want one. I'm learning so much - what if this happens again when we're off in Timbucktoo! I'll know how to manually retract the slide. Maybe.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Isn't your front slide equipped with nuts on rods on each side of the slide to be used for emergency retraction after you have opened all the hydraulic valves to insure no pressure within the system? My 34H is, I used my electric drill and a socket instead of the facrory supplied wrench the time I had a hydraulic system failure. Move each side a few inches at a time to avoid twisting and getting the slide stuck. Worked on mine, perhaps yours is configured differently - there are no mentions of using a winch in my manuals.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Interesting. I'll have to reread my manual. No mention of nuts on rods. There was supposed to be a small winch which I have yet to fjnd. I was supposed to attach it to where the seat belts attach to the floor under the couch - and take the floor radiator off and attach the other end there. And slowly "over 10 minutes" winch it in. Well never found the winch and tentatively tried using a come-along winch - but stopped cuz could tell was only moving the front end of the slide - and only a couple inches at that.

Was hoping tonight it would move easier, after I opened the retraction valves on the slide solenoid - nada. I even tried moving up and tying onto seat belt more in middle of slide, using floor radiator box by kitchen table. Moved very little and could see was going to damage floor before slide would give so quit.

Finally found a "mobile mechanic" for RVs - he's coming out in morning. I'm outta steam. :( time to let someone else tackle this. Bummer.

But thanks one and all for yer thoughts - I'll let you know what they find.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I'm glad we paid for the Good Sam roadside assistance.
IMPULSE DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Yeah we did too. That's how we found this mobile-mechanic. They won't tow with the slide out - but this guy is their mechanic. Hopefully he knows what he's doing. Wouldn't try to manually slide it in - said he's stripped gears before doing that. ?? Checked everything and sez the hydraulic pump is bad. Is trying to find one - and sez since we're replacing the pump we should consider replacing the solenoids too cuz the new pump is going to put out much higher pressure. ?? Anyone know anything about that? Yes or no on replacing solenoids too? Our extended warranty should hopefully cover the pump cuz it's dead. But doubt they'll cover the solenoids for a "just in case" deal.

Thanks.

Tags
slideout