Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2018, 12:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Front slide scuffing floor

Front slide scuffing floor. What can I do?
Old 05-06-2018, 12:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

What kind of floor? Is it vinyl or laminate that originally was carpet? Is it full length, or localized as if something is caught under the slide bar?
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

It is laminate, I don't know if is original. It is scuffing on the ends and the middle of the slide.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

This link will help you understand the various parts of the slide and glide strip, which is doing the scuffing. If your glide strip has a hard plastic bottom, it was intended for carpet. The glide strip for hard surfaces has a felt-like bottom.

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/s...ut%20Rooms.pdf

Even with the felt bottom, there is nothing to ensure that grit or gravel won't be caught under the glide strip and cause damage. Replacing a glide strip can be difficult.

One thing you can do is to lay down several laminate strips on top of your flooring (perpendicular to the slide) for the glide strip to ride on. This way the glide strip won't contact your floor. You may need to put some non-skid on the bottom of these strips to keep them from sliding. You can experiment with spacing but I'd suggest starting by spacing them 2' apart. Alternatively, you could use pieces of thin, rubber backed carpet, rubber mat or similar materials. A plastic protector for under an office chair would also work as long as it is smooth on both sides (no carpet spikes).

There are commercial versions of this but most seem to be for carpeted floors. Here's one I found for hard surface flooring but pieces of laminate are much less expensive:

https://www.rvautoparts.com/013-4300...iABEgJr-fD_BwE

Good luck.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The tile in my kitchen has been torn off in a couple of spots. I was under the impression that the slide had to be adjusted but maybe not.
Now the advice to put down strips on the floor. Isn't that going to be a bit unsightly or do you just pick them up when slide is out? TIA
Rich488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Just lay them down to retract the slide and pick them up once it's extended. Here's a video of a commercial product:

Old 05-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

torn tiles

Thanks for the tips and link.
Looking further I see three wide rollers under the slide in the kitchen area. I really can't see how those tiles could be replaced with slide in place. I imagine I'm looking at a lot of money if the slide has to be removed or is there a way?
Richard
Old 05-08-2018, 03:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

If you do some searching, you'll find how some have tilted their slide, but I can't vouch for how easy or safe it is.

What I did when I replaced my carpet is I made some 1/2" thick runners (thicker, but similar to what's in the video). I beveled the end that goes under the slide so my glides would ride up on top of them. The same should work for rollers. Then I brought the slide in a bit so the runners raised the slide off the old floor, giving me room to insert the new flooring (in my case, carpet tiles) under the slide and glide strip. I had to hopscotch the runners as I moved along the slide so I had a clear space between them to insert the carpet tiles. Your rollers may be a little more limiting but I'm sure there's a way.

One way would be to raise the rollers as described, insert another, higher runner next to the roller, extend the slide so the slide itself is resting on the new runner and off the first runner which can now be withdrawn. If the newly inserted slide is high enough, the roller should be off the floor.

If your floor is indeed laminate, be aware that even "water proof" laminate will only resist moisture for 24 hours or so. You may want to consider replacing it with vinyl planking and/or commercial grade carpet tiles, which is what I did.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:16 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. I'll give that a try. I just hate going to a repair place for the inevitable rip off.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:05 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich488 View Post
Thanks. I'll give that a try. I just hate going to a repair place for the inevitable rip off.
Good, this is a classic DIY job, high in hours, low in required skill and knowledge. Just care and time.

One more hint: Since I removed my old flooring, I kept the runners used to raise the slide from slipping with a screw into the plywood floor.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

When the sides go out my wife lays down throw carpets over the skid marks.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide