Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2016, 05:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Front end fiberglass

I have a 2013 Winnebago Vista with 15000 miles on it. While traveling from Texas back to Florida a gust of wind hit us when a semi passed us. The fiberglass on the front of the motorhome broke loose from the sides. This piece is epoxied on to the sides and all of its mounting brackets. This is almost a 5000.00 dollar repair. Has anyone else had any problems like this.
xlthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

If you're talking about the piece that covers the front tire well then YES. Ours broke free under the same set of circumstances, a large truck coming the other way created a vacuum or rush of air and it made the fiberglass break free and fly up. It looked like a compartment door had come open except there is no compartment there. Fortunately it didn't crack or rip the fiber glass. It is actually hinged at the top so it can be raised to work on the tire, etc. The only thing holding ours down was some very sticky double sided tape. I had it repaired by drilling a small hole on the bottom lip of the fiber glass and attaching a piece of thin angle iron over to the frame and screwing the other end down to the frame.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:54 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Itasca View Post
If you're talking about the piece that covers the front tire well then YES.
My take is that maybe the OP is referring to the front end cap. Between the two, I'd rather have issues with the fender. In fact, I have... the double-sided tape let go.. yes, double-sided tape holds the fender down on my Itasca. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

The piece I am talking is the whole front end of the MH. It is the big part that holds the grill, headlights, turn signals ,etc.
xlthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Do you have pictures of how it was mounted/attached?
Old 10-29-2016, 11:36 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

As long as the fiberglass did not break then you are in luck, sort of. It can be reattached using the correct epoxy and if I were you I would also drill and attach it with screws to any of the brackets that have enough surface to do so.
Any reputable auto repair shop should be able to help you.
But before you do anything I would call Winnebago because there has been a few problems with their attaching technique/adhesive. Maybe they will repair it for free.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:10 AM   #7
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Contact Winnebago customer service asap. Your coach is only a few years old, Winnebago should take care of this MAYBE!! THEY HAVE BACKED OUT OF REPAIRS IN THE PAST DUE TO KNOWN CONSTRUCTION DEFECTS!