Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-16-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Front Cap Separation

I just noticed that the front cap on my 2009 Journey is pulling away from the coach at the roof line on both sides of the coach. There are some type of fasteners (3 on each side) and the one towards the rear of the coach on both sides has popped out. Now there is about a 1/2 inch separation that has formed.

I can post pictures once I can get to the coach in the daylight.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Bob
bsedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Rear Cap Separation

Yes indeed I have had the same issue with my 2009 Itasca. I noticed one day the sealant around the rear cap was showing, closer inspection the cap had moved 1/2" or more. I believe they simply glued the thing together at the factory. The front cap shows signs of movement as well. I added several underside fasteners to keep the rear together.

Bottom line we are not very impressed with the overall construction of the coach.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I would think it should be covered under warranty. I would contact the dealer or Winnebago. A 1/2" gap is a major defect.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
I would think it should be covered under warranty. I would contact the dealer or Winnebago. A 1/2" gap is a major defect.
Big time! That sounds terrible and I would be on the phone with Winnie Customer Relations ASAP. I wouldn't take it to the dealer first but rather get Winnie to take responsibility. They may well point you back to your dealer but will then be on record as owning the issue.

good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks

I will keep you posted on my results.

Bob
Old 11-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Friend of mine had that happen on his Alpenlite 5er - estimated cost to completely remove and properly replace the cap was about $2000 - last I heard he was told insurance would pay for most of the cost, assuming collision of some sort (trees, etc.) had caused it to separate.

Good luck on yours.
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
KIX
Winnebago Master

There was a series of posts on this forum a couple of years ago. I'm not sure who started it but "SteveG" was a major contributor. He posted pictures of the fix he did on his '04 Journey with the same problem. Perhaps a search would turn up the thread.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Bob ...please clarify as the replies have me confused ...I believe you mean the corner at the top rear of the cap is lifting away from the coach wall ?? ...you DO NOT mean the entire cap has slipped forward 1/2 inch? ...if the former, I have some experience & pics...
Old 11-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Service

I spoke to them today. They were very helpful. As it turns out today is the 1 year anniversary of when I bought the coach.

They made a note in my file that it will be covered under warranty and I can wait until I take the coach out of storage in the spring to have it repaired. It will probably just take a couple of new screws and some silicone. Should not be a structural issue.

Thanks

Bob
Old 11-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Bob ...look at my write-up and pics on my website at Front Cap Corner Separation ...mine was built before they were putting any fasteners along that lip where I believe you are talking about one popping out. I have noted in more recent years fasteners on the cap corners. My passenger side is covered/held in place by the door awning, but as you can see from the pics, the driver's side had quite a gap. The caulk job I did in 2007 is still in great condition, and nothing has moved since. In my discussions with Winnebago, they indicated there is an attachment to metal up in the sidewall that they could get to by removing the cabinets, etc above the driver side window. I would suspect it is a glued situation, and turns loose like all the other glued areas many have had to re-glue. After watching mine for about 7 months before I got to the factory during GNR, they inspected it there and we agreed it was not moving, so elected at that point not to mess further with it. But with your pulled fastener, I agree you need to do something with yours to re-secure it.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I had the same issue on my 07 Journey, just used some sealant in the gap and it solved the problem.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem with mine but not nearly as bad as AFChap's pictures indicate his was.

Per Winnie CS I put about 6 or 7 #10 button head screws with dimple washers in mine on the left side only. I started at the front edge where the gap was the smallest and worked my way aft, drawing in the gap a little bit with each additional screw. By the time I got to the last (aft most) screw the gap was gone. Caulked it good and it has held for 2 1/2 years. I painted all the screw heads and dimple washers with touch up paint and they are hardly noticable.

I did caulk inside the gap just before screwing the screws into the pilot holes and put a squirt into the holes.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:33 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

This is definitely what is happening. There are fasteners there now (3 on each side) but one has pulled out on each side. I think you are right that there is no metal there to fasten the screws to and they just pulled out of the fiberglass.

We'll see what the dealer says in the spring.

Thanks

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Bob ...look at my write-up and pics on my website at Front Cap Corner Separation ...mine was built before they were putting any fasteners along that lip where I believe you are talking about one popping out. I have noted in more recent years fasteners on the cap corners. My passenger side is covered/held in place by the door awning, but as you can see from the pics, the driver's side had quite a gap. The caulk job I did in 2007 is still in great condition, and nothing has moved since. In my discussions with Winnebago, they indicated there is an attachment to metal up in the sidewall that they could get to by removing the cabinets, etc above the driver side window. I would suspect it is a glued situation, and turns loose like all the other glued areas many have had to re-glue. After watching mine for about 7 months before I got to the factory during GNR, they inspected it there and we agreed it was not moving, so elected at that point not to mess further with it. But with your pulled fastener, I agree you need to do something with yours to re-secure it.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

There are some great threads with front cap separation issues and repairs. Some with great pics of the repairs. My personal favorite is the one called Arc d' Screws. Had mine repaired at the factory last June. The drivers' side started to lift. They put three screws in and did the same on the passenger's side. Some have put as many as seven screws. Biggest issue is to pre drill carefully so as not to split/crack fiberglass.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote