Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Front cap leak repair

The other day I found I have a leak in the right rear portion of the front cap on my 2003 Adventurer 35U. I have all the Dicor (self-leveling and regular) to use, but I am thinking of using Eternabond over the Dicor across the entire roof to front cap joint (after the Dicor has cured). Is this a good idea for the front cap? Also, if anyone knows the temperature range of the self-leveling and regular Dicor, it would ease my mind. It is still a bit cold here (right now, it's 24F). I know if I use the adhesive spray on the Eternabond, it can be used to -20F--it better not get that cold here again this year!

Thanks!

Scott
Old 03-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

Are you sure it is not leaking by the lights up there. That is a common problem.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Your setup is like my 03 sightseer. I found were it is leaking on mine and you are in the right area. But do the sides of the cap too. You have a glass top like mine and when it rains the water runs like a waterfalls and will lift and go under the sides. Take your finger and pull up on the side edges and it will be loose. Take your sealant and put some under the cap and no more leaks. I bought some gutter spouts and installed them on mine but you put left on right and right on left and RTV them in place. To get the right angle heat them up to form them. Yea people will say they are backwards but that is the only way they will fit and work.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 03-27-2015, 09:49 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
Are you sure it is not leaking by the lights up there. That is a common problem.
Positive. The motorhome was stationary and had snow on top of it. When the snow melted, the water followed the line of the roof. The cap behind the clearance lights was dry as was the windshield and the area immediately below the clearance lights.

Scott
Old 03-27-2015, 09:52 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
Your setup is like my 03 sightseer. I found were it is leaking on mine and you are in the right area. But do the sides of the cap too. You have a glass top like mine and when it rains the water runs like a waterfalls and will lift and go under the sides. Take your finger and pull up on the side edges and it will be loose. Take your sealant and put some under the cap and no more leaks. I bought some gutter spouts and installed them on mine but you put left on right and right on left and RTV them in place. To get the right angle heat them up to form them. Yea people will say they are backwards but that is the only way they will fit and work.

That's what I wanted to hear! Thank you. I may still put Eternabond all along the roof/cap joint at a later date.

Now to figure out the temperature range of the types of Dicor I will use to start this repair. The gutter idea sounds good. I should have done this before winter.

Scott
Old 03-27-2015, 10:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I had a small leak near my front cap on my fifth wheel. I found the lose spot of caulk that was the culprit and removed what I could and then cleaned all the seams along my roof line and eternabond taped the whole thing. I didn't apply any dicor before I just taped over all the existing caulk. Make sure the area you're placing your tape is completely dry before applying it. If it is damp at all it won't adhere and you'll be pulling it off and doing it again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1427515513.292462.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	89782

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1427515546.956500.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	89783

Good luck with your repair.
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:34 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I thought about doing that, but the gutter rail on my coach is a bit shallow and narrow so I think the best thing would be to simply clean the gutter rails on the sides and use the self leveling Dicor in them.

I am going to write Dicor to see if they have temperature recommendations for their self leveling and normal sealant. It is 16F degrees right now, so no water is flowing anywhere.

Scott
Old 03-28-2015, 12:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

This is all I can see on their site regarding installation.

Clean surface of all dirt, loose paint, rust, oil and grease. Allow surface to dry before applying sealant. Use standard caulking equipment to apply sealant. In cold weather, warm container at room temperature before use.
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

This is the area of my leaks and I installed the gutter extensions on mine to.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/phot...ml#post1903824
But right were the corner is were it was leaking
Old 03-28-2015, 07:08 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

That is exactly the area where mine is leaking. I like the idea of the gutter extensions, too. Thank you!

I knew about the room temperature thing. That kind of temperature will be difficult to maintain when it's near freezing outside. Tomorrow, I will give it a shot though, as the weather report does not look too good for the coming week and next weekend.

Scott
Old 03-28-2015, 07:50 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Scott
I have had that whole area almost off looking for leaks. If you remove the 2 windshield trim pieces the 3 screws and 2 screws under the trim you will be able to rubber trim were you can seal around the windshield too. The molding just pops in and that will seal any leaks around the windshield. Before you put the 2 trim pieces on seal the edges of the fiberglass panels before they delam on you. I had a touch of wood rot in that area.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:19 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Thank you, again! I will not have time tomorrow to do as you suggest before the weather starts to get bad (rain to snow then back to snow and back again), but I will do it when the weather is more cooperative--the windshield does not leak as I had it replaced last spring due to a crack from rust. The temperature tomorrow will be lucky to get into the 40's, so this repair is likely to be somewhat incomplete and I hope it suffices for a month.

Scott
Old 03-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Well, that's done for now. Extremely windy here today so it was a challenge. It's not the best looking caulking job, but it should help. I know what you mean about the front glass trim, now. That will come off next nice day (I'll buy some black Dicor) and get that done.

Scott

Edit: Looks like I got done just in time: It's snowing.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:45 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

After raining last night and off and on throughout the day today, I went to our motorhome to check the repair. I think it's working. I found no further water accumulation, so that's a good thing. Still more work is needed, but that will happen on the first good day with temps in the 60's--it shouldn't be long.

Scott

Tags
front cap, leak, repair