Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-18-2015, 08:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Fridge question

I'm heading to Hunting Island, SC next week. Temps will be in the high 90's. With the fridge being pretty full it is going to be tough keeping it cool (kids in and out throughout the day). Was thinking of ways to augment cooling and was thinking of using a small chunk of dry ice in one of the lower drawers of the refrigerator along with one of those battery operated fans to circulate the air. Has anyone ever tried this?

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Dry Ice is actually Hazardous, see Dry Ice Safety | How to use Dry Ice Safely

Around kid would be even worse, I was attracted to it like a bug to a purple light when I was young.
KerrTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Actually, a full fridge is easily to keep cool than a partly empty one. Less air spills out and needs to be re-cooled when you open the door. I keep extra bottles of water in my fridge to keep it full.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:44 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

If the kids are going in for cool sodas, etc an option could be to get a Colman cooler, throw a bag of ice along with a selection of drinks and fruit snacks for them. It will keep the door on the fridge with the food closed for longer periods of time.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:48 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
Actually, a full fridge is easily to keep cool than a partly empty one. Less air spills out and needs to be re-cooled when you open the door. I keep extra bottles of water in my fridge to keep it full.

That depends. If it's an RV type , it cools better with space for circulation. They sell battery operated and 12 volt fans to assist with this circulation.
The problem arises ( as stated in the op ) when the door is opened and not shut quickly. That will have to be managed or things will get warm in there.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I use on the small fans. I also freeze 2 milk cartons filled with water. I put one on the bottom shelf with my dairy products. Rotate them out every day.
Barbara

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I keep about 6 water bottles in the freezer and use them as ice packs. You could do the same and circulate them between fridge and freezer.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

GaDawgFan I have used the ice chest idea before keep it outside and keeps the traffic down in the coach. Also try to park where the sun does not shine on the fridge side of the coach.
Looks like your fridge is on the passenger side so keep the awning our during the heat of the day.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTx View Post
Dry Ice is actually Hazardous, see Dry Ice Safety | How to use Dry Ice Safely

Around kid would be even worse, I was attracted to it like a bug to a purple light when I was young.
I read the article you linked to and didn't read anything to make me think dry ice would be dangerous if you had any common sense. As long as the user doesn't leave his head in the closed refrigerator and lets the kids know not to mess with it there should be no problem.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I have worked with dry ice. it is inded hazordous. It is like -100 degrees F as I recall. Instant frostbite

Plus if you put dry ice in the fridge the fridge will shut down,, this means the freezer melts. So best not to try anything like that.

Best option I saw above was a the picnic cooler full of ice and soda for the kids and use the fridge for meals. A portable ice maker may be enough to supply the cooler.. Or buy from park store.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:32 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Another option is to leave the kids home.

Tags
fridge