Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2005, 10:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Surprised I haven't seen any discussion of this new chassis on the forum. Check this press release. With the bigger gassers really pushing the limits of the 8.1, looks like this may be a viable alternative.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 10:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Surprised I haven't seen any discussion of this new chassis on the forum. Check this press release. With the bigger gassers really pushing the limits of the 8.1, looks like this may be a viable alternative.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:52 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

It's true that the 8.1 is pushed by the newer larger gassers with triple slides but I'm not so sure that a front engined diesel is the way to go. A large enough engine to overcome the 8.1's shortcomings is bound to make a bit of noise. I'm not so sure I'd want that up front next to me. I'm also thinking that the extra expense might put it awfully close to an entry level diesel pusher, pricewise.

Either way, it's in the future and not a whole lot of info regarding engines is out there yet so I can understand it not being discussed too much. However, what I do find interesting is that there is no mention of the tag axle chassis on the FCCC website. Tiffin (and others I would assume) are already running this chassis on their 42' Allegro Bus as of 2005. It has a unique three way tag axle feature. In one position it places weight on the tag, in another, it manually (you gotta hold the switch) raises it up to clear curbs or whatever, and in the third position there is an automatic mode. The auto mode removes the weight from the tag at low speed. This eliminates scrubbing of the tires on tight city turns or when maneuvering in a campground. It "looks" like the tires are on the ground but in reality there is hardly any pressure on them and they won't scrub. As soon as the vehicle speed comes up (8 MPH I have heard) the tag fully applies it's weight.

This, couple with a bunch of new features make it an interesting chassis. Plus it's presently in production. Except that there is no info on the website about it.

On the other hand, they do promote the fact that the solid front axle XC chassis now is available with a 55 degree wheel cut rather than the 50 degree of previous years. Except I don't know of any coaches yet using this axle option. Very confusing.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 04:16 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I downloaded the high res file and took a look at FRED. My feeling is that it could well have a GVWR of perhaps 26,000 to 28,000 lbs. That would sure help with the problem many gassers have now - very limited CCC. If the price is right, I have a feeling this could be a popular product. Or, of course, it could be a bust.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:33 PM   #5

....sounds like a school bus chassis....geofkaye
Old 07-24-2005, 05:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The 8.1 in the W24 chassis can easily handle a large 3 slide gas coach. And you'll get more CCC than many popular diesel pushers including the Winnebago 40AD. And at a cost of many, many thousands of dollars less in original purchase price and normal maintenance.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 07:16 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
The 8.1 in the W24 chassis can easily handle a large 3 slide gas coach. And you'll get more CCC than many popular diesel pushers including the Winnebago 40AD. And at a cost of many, many thousands of dollars less in original purchase price and normal maintenance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might want to take a real close look at the weight stickers again. Manufacturers seem to love to load them up to meet "our" demands.

Given that so many W22's had peanuts for CCC, adding 2000 lbs (less the increased weight of the chassis itself) doesn't take you by most DPs that I've looked at. And add a fourth slide and you've cut into that pretty good. DP manufacturers have themselves had to up their chassis because they were starting to get thin. Look at the Journey - on April 1 the 39K GAWR for the rear was increased by 1500 lbs so it should now be over 3000 lbs again. Our two slide 39W is 3900 lbs and I sure haven't seen that in very many gassers.

Then, ask yourself about the air brakes, exhaust brake, higher torque, etc. I don't think you are comparing apples and apples at that point.

On the other hand, from what we've seen, many top line gassers are finished off internally with much better appointments than even mid range DPs.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

If this new setup came standard with the Stabil-air system, the new 6 speed transmission,and some decent dog house insulation, I would be interested...I think it's a good alternative to rear diesel pushers.. IMO

8.1 litre
simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Since the article mentions a "Hendrickson spring ride suspension", I'm thinking they are not using air bags or airbrakes (to be price competitive). Not to mention much simpler without air tanks, compressor, moisture ejectors, etc. They also mention the Allison 5 speed. Picture the W-24 with the 8.1 removed and replaced with a Cummins 5.9l diesel. The 55 degree wheelcut is better than the W-24 and also my Freightliner XC.

If the price is similiar and they have found a way of dealing with the noise, I think it would be very desirable to anyone not wanting to go to the cost of a full DP. You'd get around 50% more torque and that's what flattens out the hills.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:08 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Correction to my last post... Since they are using the Allison 5 speed, I assume they would then use the "low torque" version of the Cummins 5.9. So the torque increase would only be around 30% - 600 vs 455.