Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Freightliner 24 month air filter???

I am not far from Gaffney, SC and Freightliner Custom Chassis. So, why not give them a call and take the coach in for some PM work? I call them today. In our conversation about what services I wanted done the person on the other end of the line informed me that my air filter had to be changed because it is a 24 month one. (????) I have never heard of this in my life. I asked why because the vacuum indicator is reading fine. Well, according to the service center the glue used in manufacturing the filter breaks down after 24 months and pieces of the filter can be sucked into the engine!!!
I was so flabbergasted by this news I did not have enough wit to ask who will pay for the replacement of the filter and is this to be an ongoing issue.

Has anyone out there in irv2 land heard about this? Or are a lot of you just hearing of this for the first time, meaning you are driving time bombs for engine failure due to the air filter falling apart.

Now I am concerned about driving the 115 miles to Gaffney. Will I destroy the engine!!!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I've heard about the two year air filter replacement and think it's been discussed a few times. I'd think you would not have a problem pushing the time element but it would be pretty nasty if it did start to break down and clog the charge air cooler and cause other problems.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Yep, they used to say to watch the restriction gauge and go by that, but they've had some engines damaged when the filter element came apart so now they say every 2 years OR sooner if the gauge is reading too high.
I changed mine out last month and it still looked great and the gauge read 15 - 20. Hated to throw it away!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Yes I was aware of this policy. It still rubs me the wrong way that we are now rewarding the filter manyfacturer by buying more filters due to increased frequency of replacement.

Anyone aware of a brand that does not come apart in 24 months?
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

My 1998 unit w/ Freightliner chassis had the original air filter when I changed it out with the same one at 85,000. There was LOTS of grey dust in the canister but it was clean as could be after that. It also read fine on the air vacuum level. There was no sign of it coming apart. That said for the $ 60 or so I'll change it out hereafter on their recommendation
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I was not aware of the 24 month change policy until I read the paperwork that comes with the filter. I am not happy with it, hate to see $67 for a filter that should last longer than what they say it does. I asked the Freightliner Mechanic when mine was in at the beginning of summer about it, he said he has never seen a DP come in with one where the paper was sucked in, then added, he would change it since the filter is cheaper than the turbo is.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Don't forget many NAPA auto parts stores have these larger Filters for far less money than The "Stealerships" do
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The Napa here in town wanted $178 for it. When I asked why they are charging times what Freightliner does, they said it was special order and what the list price is.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
The Napa here in town wanted $178 for it. When I asked why they are charging times what Freightliner does, they said it was special order and what the list price is.
I'd tell them you are NOT going to be a customer at List price for ANYTHING!!
Napa stores have about 3 or more different levels of "Retail"
Once you find out he common part number for a air filter you can some times find them for a good price on ebay.
Mine takes a "6433"

Here is what it took me 20 seconds to find
I searched "6433 air filter"
Napa Air Filter 6433 46433 RS2863 F3HZ 9601 A 15619013 LAF1878 RE34962 | eBay

Notice the Wix part number of 46433 (Wix makes the NAPA gold filters).
And the ad shows NAPA list price of $91.84
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I am really ticked about this, as many of you are. I feel like I am giving the filter company permission to rob me. I do wish there was a way to file a class action suit. I hate frivolous lawsuits, but this is not one of them. We are victims of planned premature failure. Not everyone can do the change themselves and many rigs may only have a few thousand miles on them after two years.

Are there any interested lawyers here?
Old 09-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I'd tell them you are NOT going to be a customer at List price for ANYTHING!!
Napa stores have about 3 or more different levels of "Retail"
Once you find out he common part number for a air filter you can some times find them for a good price on ebay.
Mine takes a "6433"

Here is what it took me 20 seconds to find
I searched "6433 air filter"
Napa Air Filter 6433 46433 RS2863 F3HZ 9601 A 15619013 LAF1878 RE34962 | eBay

Notice the Wix part number of 46433 (Wix makes the NAPA gold filters).
And the ad shows NAPA list price of $91.84
Try and find this one for less than $67 delivered to my door. Parker Racor 114880003. I have yet to find one online that beats Freightliner on this one. Who knows, you may have a place I missed. I rarely shop Napa for anything, they may have 3 price structures, but here they don't discount, so I don't shop there.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I am really ticked about this, as many of you are. I feel like I am giving the filter company permission to rob me. I do wish there was a way to file a class action suit. I hate frivolous lawsuits, but this is not one of them. We are victims of planned premature failure. Not everyone can do the change themselves and many rigs may only have a few thousand miles on them after two years.

Are there any interested lawyers here?
I would call a lawsuit over a $ 60 item that gets done once every 2 years "frivolous"
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:30 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
I would call a lawsuit over a $ 60 item that gets done once every 2 years "frivolous"
Have you considered the labor cost, time in the shop and other factors associated with this item? Most RVers don't do more than 10,000 or so miles in 2 years. We are forced to change the air filter because the glue that holds it together is made to last 2 years? I feel like I am being blackmailed! Change the filter I produce every 2 years or I just might damage you engine. WHAT!

The manufactures of our tires are limited to what they can use and the tires take a lot more abuse that the air filter. Yet we accept that the replacement time for them is about 5 years. Ok. Big bucks, true. But the manufactures are trying to keep us safe.

With your reasoning why don't we go to being required to replace our wheel bearings? They are cheap? How about the exhaust? Dumb it down.

My point is not to suit the product but the lack of integrity of the product manufacturer. With the policy they are subscribing to they can disavow any responsibility for their product damaging your engine because they told you they are producing junk. Don't you think WE need a break on this one?

Problems happen in RV's. Why create a very costly one because of cheap glue? The principle of integrity and best interest to the consumer is being violated here. And your willing to pay for this? Not me. But, at the moment, I must.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #14

I am scheduled to have my annual service in Gaffney next February and I am due to have my filter changed. By the time I get there I will have about 18000 miles on my filter and currently my clog indicator is reading at the very bottom and I am OK with the filter change.

My question in all this has more to do with the replacement filter...are they going to use the same filter with the known glue bonding problem or are they going to use an improved filter that does not have these restrictions?

I understand that sometimes you find a problem with parts after they have gone into service and must change them out before they do any damage but I do not understand using a part with a known problem. I will give Freightliner a call to ask them what filter they will use when they service my coach.

Are there replacement filters in the market place that do not have this glue debonding problem?
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Filter shelf life of a air filter in a controlled environment is around 5 years.
Put it in service where the environment is not controlled that time drops to
2 or 3 years.
It is a very good idea to check the date code of any filter you purchase to make
sure it is not out of date.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry B View Post
Anyone aware of a brand that does not come apart in 24 months?
Yes. This one will last for many years and only needs cleaned with a pressure washer when dirty.

I got tired of $$$ replacing mine at 2 years and sometimes have less then 10,000 miles on it.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

The warranty on a K&N filter is 3 years.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

IMO!!!!! For what it is worth!!
Filters are cheap compared to a engine.
Fuel filters twice a year.
Air filters once a year.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
IMO!!!!! For what it is worth!!
Filters are cheap compared to a engine.
Fuel filters twice a year.
Air filters once a year.
Agreed when it comes to diesels there are three golden rules.
Clean oil, clean fuel, very clean air.
Violate any of these and your cost of operation will be very high.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
I am scheduled to have my annual service in Gaffney next February and I am due to have my filter changed. By the time I get there I will have about 18000 miles on my filter and currently my clog indicator is reading at the very bottom and I am OK with the filter change.

My question in all this has more to do with the replacement filter...are they going to use the same filter with the known glue bonding problem or are they going to use an improved filter that does not have these restrictions?

I understand that sometimes you find a problem with parts after they have gone into service and must change them out before they do any damage but I do not understand using a part with a known problem. I will give Freightliner a call to ask them what filter they will use when they service my coach.

Are there replacement filters in the market place that do not have this glue debonding problem?
I just got off the phone with Gaffney parts. They ARE using the same filter and mine is sold for $110+. And then there is labor. Every 2 years. And this is OK by some of you?

I have been trying to find a replacement for this part #: FAR 094973 007. I have had no success. Anyone care to give it a shot?

I am still in doubt about the quality of the glue. Can they really be that arrogant? Or are we really that gullible? I wish I knew of some testing that has been done in a true study way that proves the glue failure, other than the company's word.

Freightliner is not what they used to be since Daimler took over.

On my last coach the odometer failed. Freightliner replaced the defective module and told me that the odometer was now set to zero miles. Why? I asked. Because Daimler won't let us calibrate them to the know mileage at the time of the failure. Why? I asked. Because it is against the law. Now, according to Daimler it is against the law to tell the truth! And I trust them on the air filter thing?

Tags
freightliner