Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

I really don't like the fact that I have to change the filter every two years but that is what the service manual states. Since that was written in the manual when we purchased our rv's, I doubt you would have a lawsuit with a chance. I have heard that Brazil's performance has replacement filters that last a lot longer.
mcbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Wix 49660 is one and it will be a FARR filter.
Just looked and the price runs from 91.00 to 182.00 depending on who
you get it from.
Takes about a hour to change.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Filter is $ 70 at local Freightliner shop. Took me 1/2 hour to change.

Why are you so upset about changing an air filter every 24 months? Are you just as upset by needing to change fuel, oil and transmission filters? It's just part of maintenance.

If you don't believe the engine or chassis manufacturer's recommendations you're certainly free to change them when YOU feel it is necessary.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:58 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Yes. This one will last for many years and only needs cleaned with a pressure washer when dirty.

I got tired of $$$ replacing mine at 2 years and sometimes have less then 10,000 miles on it.
This looks like the way to go. It pays for its self in 6 years with no danger of environment breakdown, thus engine damage.

Did you have to drill the spot welds or did you have a take-apart canister? I think my canister is one piece.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:16 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
Filter is $ 70 at local Freightliner shop. Took me 1/2 hour to change.

Why are you so upset about changing an air filter every 24 months? Are you just as upset by needing to change fuel, oil and transmission filters? It's just part of maintenance.

If you don't believe the engine or chassis manufacturer's recommendations you're certainly free to change them when YOU feel it is necessary.
Why have the air filter restriction gauge? I have always seen that as the "it's time to change the filter" bible. I might be new at this by sum standards. Been on the road since '07. This is the first time I have been made aware of the weakness of the glue and the 2 year requirement.

In all of my years as a driver, maintaining my cars, I have never heard what wb7auk posted. 5 year shelf life?

The environment that the air filter is in is what it is supposed to be built for. It should be no issue for it to go the distance and be replaced when the gauge indicates it is time.

I am more upset with the fact that I have been putting my engines in jeopardy through the ignorance of believing the air filter restriction gauge was the way I was to know service was needed on the air filter. It is standard now for cars to have engine service reminders. Why a air filter restriction gauge if it will never be used? OH. Yea. Sand storms in AZ. Almost forgot that one.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:31 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
The warranty on a K&N filter is 3 years.
Where did you read that in their Warranty?
I couldn't find that limit of 3 years under their warranty web page
only miles and maintenance to clean every 50,000 miles needed.
But did find the below.

I won't be around when my MH gets a Million miles on it.

MILLION MILE LIMITED WARRANTY
K&N O/E Replacement Air Filters and Air Intake Systems purchased from Authorized Dealers are backed by a Million Mile Limited Warranty when used primarily on paved roads and on vehicles for which they were designed. If one of these products ever fails to provide complete satisfaction, K&N will replace it.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

You guys are getting "wrapped around the axle" about this issue. I'm no sure why changing an air filter at a couple of years is so onerous. It's not defective glue or paper or poor engineering or manufacturing. We operate our coaches in hot, humid south Florida and the arid desert southwest. Same air filter. Some intake systems are better than others about not getting water into the system & into the air filter. A Diesel engine is a big relentless air pump and the filters and intake systems are generally at the minimum for air flow and that means the velocity through the filter medium is high. Many of us have one of the Eco lite filters because they are fairly compact. Many of them are plumbed in reverse with the air supply coming in the end of the filter. That's ok but the filter is designed to flow the best plumbed the other way. This is done because space is limited back there.

Watch your filter minder. If you operate mostly in arid conditions then go longer an change by the filter minder. If you are in damp and humid conditions then change every 2-3 years. The engine companies would rather you go longer because an air filter needs some dust cake on the filter medium to get max efficiency.

This is my personal opinion and others will surely disagree, but I would never use a washable element filter on a Diesel engine. They are just not efficient enough. If a Diesel engine ingests 5-6 ounces of dust in its lifetime then it will require a rebuild. The efficiency and integrity of the clean side on your air handling system is critically important. A hundred bucks or so every 2-3 years is cheap insurance.

Go over to the Cummins group and look for discussions about engine dusting. Look for posts by Spike45. He is a retired Cummins Fleetguard field engineer and has seen the result of poor air filtration. He knows engines from the fluids and filtration side than anyone your are likely to meet. For you Cat guys, he worked for them for a number of years also.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The warranty on a K&N filter is 3 years.
The Winne warranty is 12 mo. Throw it out? Hope not. Just maintain it.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Yes. This one will last for many years and only needs cleaned with a pressure washer when dirty.

I got tired of $$$ replacing mine at 2 years and sometimes have less then 10,000 miles on it.
Warranty comes from your own post of "this one will last"
The third item that addresses heavy duty diesel air filter warranty.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

In all of my years as a driver, maintaining my cars, I have never heard what wb7auk posted. 5 year shelf life?

The environment that the air filter is in is what it is supposed to be built for. It should be no issue for it to go the distance and be replaced when the gauge indicates it is time.

That is what the filter companies say in fact I have a e- mail a couple of
days old from one of them that state that and is shipping me a new
filter to replace one I just purchased that was to old.
Gary spike45 also backs that up and he knows that information because
that is the field he worked in for many years.
As to washable filters the only one I have seen that might work is the Nano fiber filters however I have not seen any for diesels.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #31

Quote:

That is what the filter companies say in fact I have a e- mail a couple of
days old from one of them that state that and is shipping me a new
filter to replace one I just purchased that was to old.
Gary spike45 also backs that up and he knows that information because
that is the field he worked in for many years.
As to washable filters the only one I have seen that might work is the Nano fiber filters however I have not seen any for diesels.
I worked my entire life in the Aerospace industry and shelf lives are common on some parts however there is an expiration date on the package. No warning, no expiration date...no shelf life. After reading these posts I will look more closely at the package in the future.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Not to cause the need for medical assistance but oil and fuel filters also have
shelf lives and use times and in most cases they are short.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
I worked my entire life in the Aerospace industry and shelf lives are common on some parts however there is an expiration date on the package. No warning, no expiration date...no shelf life. After reading these posts I will look more closely at the package in the future.
You will find almost no information as to shelf life or in use life on filters
provided on the filter or container. You will see on some the build date or
words to that effect.
You would be surprised at how many out of date filters are sold or installed to the unknowing owner.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

I'm not buying this whole "Filter glue has a 2 year life" idea. That doesn't mean I won't look at my 3 year old filter now Just like I did last year. I look at the filter AND the restriction meter every year, which in my case is about 6,000 miles.

I work on over 100 Forklifts, trucks, and Cars where I am currently employed. 99.9% of our air filters when changed go to a Filter cleaning company. I do know they are put in a solution and cleaned with ultrasonic sound waves. (like a VERY large jewelry cleaner) They are then put in plastic bags and returned and the fee is 50% the price of a NEW filter.
Three of our largest fork trucks Run 24/7, have a late model common rail 8.3 Cummins (300HP I think) diesel engine and get a oil, oil filter and air filter change EVERY 2 weeks. And Yes the air filters are quite dirty in only 2 weeks. Fuel filters are NOT touched unless there is a indication of a power loss (clogged/restricted filter)
This procedure of filter cleaning has worked quite well for 10 years that I know of.
The company sees no reason to change.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #35
Winnebago Master

I have really started a good debate here. Let me throw a bit more fuel on the fire. My Freightliner chassis manual states that the air filter is to be replaced every year or every 15,000 miles. Hummm. I wonder what lawer is writing their maintenance schedule?

As I read through the maintenance schedules I was amazed at what is required. Did you know that your oil lubed front hubs are to be drained and refilled every 15,000 miles or 12 months? Oh? You have greased bearings. They require repacking in this schedule.

I know I am falling flat on my face when it comes to meeting these requirements.

Mekanic brought up a good point. His industry cleaned and reused the filters. So, what is it with Farr filters? Are we so special that we need the worst on the market?

I will replace mine with the K&N washable filter. Many folks out there are very pleased with their products. I can't find any negative reviews on my web search. So why not go with what is trusted.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I have really started a good debate here. Let me throw a bit more fuel on the fire. My Freightliner chassis manual states that the air filter is to be replaced every year or every 15,000 miles. Hummm. I wonder what lawer is writing their maintenance schedule?

As I read through the maintenance schedules I was amazed at what is required. Did you know that your oil lubed front hubs are to be drained and refilled every 15,000 miles or 12 months? Oh? You have greased bearings. They require repacking in this schedule.

I know I am falling flat on my face when it comes to meeting these requirements.

Mekanic brought up a good point. His industry cleaned and reused the filters. So, what is it with Farr filters? Are we so special that we need the worst on the market?

I will replace mine with the K&N washable filter. Many folks out there are very pleased with their products. I can't find any negative reviews on my web search. So why not go with what is trusted.
At my last service at Freightliner Gaffney SC they removed, inspected and reinstalled my air filter. I questioned the "inspect and replace"on the checklist and they told me that they inspect and if it looks bad they replace. Mine looked like new so they reinstalled the filter. It is not a change every 15000 miles or 1 year.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #37
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Before you invest in a K&N filter you might want to read these test reports and see how the K&N actually performs:

Air Filter Comparison Study - GM Truck Central

ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

The clear solution is, if you don't like the cost of maintaining a diesel engine, trade it off for a gas engine.

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka7suz View Post
The clear solution is, if you don't like the cost of maintaining a diesel engine, trade it off for a gas engine.

JoAnn
That is way I look it at. I change my own air filter ($67 and 30 minutes of time), but Frightliner does the rest, yearly fuel filter, oil/oil filter, lube and DOT Inspection is $550. They even pull off the wheels and inspect the brake shoes and tires.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:39 AM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Before you invest in a K&N filter you might want to read these test reports and see how the K&N actually performs:
Air Filter Comparison Study - GM Truck Central
ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report
Both reports are with the K & N oil filled filters. Used mostly in gas engines. Not close to being made the same as the one for DP.

They can't be cleaned with a Pressure Washer like the K & N Heavy Duty filter for DP and commercial trucks.

It would need a completely different test and don't think they are many of the other brand paper filters made that will take a Pressure washing.

Tried and Tested
Each commercial grade diesel air filter design is tested with Fine Grade Test Dust using the ISO 5011 air filtration test protocol to determine filtering efficiency and dust holding capacity.

K&N commercial grade air filters are designed to protect vital engine components even after the filter has been cleaned multiple times.

I would like to see a test report for the K & N washable filter compared to other made washable filters for a diesel engine. If you have a link for that.

My choice for getting the K & N was, I rather have a small amount of dust get through to the engine then pieces of paper that glue has not held.
On a filter that I have no idea of it's age when installed.
Plus after 2 years the $$$ savings and the low miles I drive a year(4,000). I may never need to wash it.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner