Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-05-2007, 07:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I think there is a recall on the steering gearbox on the Winnebago's, has anyone gotten it? I have a small shimmy in the front, may do it once every hour or may not do it for a couple of days, when it does it, it only lasts for a second or two. 2004 Vectra with about 33,000 miles, tires show no cupping or out of round. Am thinking about rotating them, but would like to see what happens with this recall. Can not find any play in front end anywhere.
Billy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I think there is a recall on the steering gearbox on the Winnebago's, has anyone gotten it? I have a small shimmy in the front, may do it once every hour or may not do it for a couple of days, when it does it, it only lasts for a second or two. 2004 Vectra with about 33,000 miles, tires show no cupping or out of round. Am thinking about rotating them, but would like to see what happens with this recall. Can not find any play in front end anywhere.
Billy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The recall is for units with the 8018 steering gear. I have an '06 vectra and it is not included in the recall. If you call a freightliner service center with the VIN # they can tell you if you are included in the recall.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:11 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2004 Vectra </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Billy,

Your unit is not involved with the recall. Like my coach it has the 8016 model steering box which came with the 12000 Lb rated front axel.
The 8018 steering gear boxes are fitted on the coaches with the 14000 lb rated front axel hich started with the 2006 models.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Just to add some info. I have a 2004 Horizon 40AD with a 12,000# IFS front end. I was under the coach today to check out the steering box and mine is a 8018 model. The tag is on the front of the box and is east to read. I then caled Freightliner with my VIN number and was told that the recall has not been issued as of today. It will be released in the near future. Hope that this helps.

Pete
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Your shimmy is almost guaranteed to be the wheels not centered on the hub. The hubs are Metric and the wheels are American and they DO NOT automatically self-center when the tire is removed/remounted.

A run-out gauge MUST be used to properly center the tire/wheel on the hub.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

John,

Do you what year they started with the mismatched hubs and wheels?

I am going to be taking mine in shortly to have the tires changed... currently it rides well, but I am fairly certain the wheels have never been pulled.

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I recently had the shimmy problem after an alignment and tire swap was done (to correct a pulling and wear issue on the front tires).The shimmy would come and go with no rhyme or reason. The steering wheel would move left to right about 1/2 inch at times.

I had the wheels balanced and had them centered on the hubs with the 3 pin centering devices. The shimmy did not go away.

After spending a considerable amount of time at a freighliner shop it was determined that the tire was out of round on the wheel. The out of round was obvious when the wheel assembly was spun on the balancer. The solution was to break the bead of the tires and rotate the tire on the rim. With some sort of liquid the tire was reseated on the rim without any type of out of round.

The shimmy is gone now and the coach drives strait and smooth.

I also had an issue when the steering wheel was turned full right, the tie rod would hit the shock. After a considerable amount of time at the freightliner shop the problem was found to be in the way the steering control parts were installed. There are timing marks on some of the components that connect the steering wheel to the pitman arm and one of the marks was off about 45 degrees. After evrything was timed and realligned all was good.

With about 12 thousand miles, 4 wheel alignments and 3 balancing efforts it is now a pleasure to drive.

Hopefully it will still drive good after the recall is done if I ever get the recall letter. I pleaded with freighliner to try to get the recall done while I had it in the shop but they could not help me.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:15 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:22 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moder2:
John,

Do you what year they started with the mismatched hubs and wheels?

I am going to be taking mine in shortly to have the tires changed... currently it rides well, but I am fairly certain the wheels have never been pulled.

John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>John - AFAIK, it is only the 2004+ Vectra/Horizon with the ZF front end.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:54 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

That's what I was hoping, since I am pretty sure mine is Neway IFS. I do know I have the Accuride wheels, but not sure about the hubs.

Thanks John

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:50 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Effective January 7, 2008 Freightliner will become Daimler Trucks North America.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 02:26 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Just to add some info. I have a 2004 Horizon 40AD with a 12,000# IFS front end. I was under the coach today to check out the steering box and mine is a 8018 model. The tag is on the front of the box and is east to read. I then caled Freightliner with my VIN number and was told that the recall has not been issued as of today. It will be released in the near future. Hope that this helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I decided to take a look at my steering box as well. Surprise, I also have the 8018 model steering box. The model # was 8018 995 103.

I was under the impression that the 8018 steering box was only on the 14000 Lb front axel coaches. Not so. My coach was build in Feb. 2005 and has a 12000 lb rated front axel.

It looks to me now, that any year coach with the ZF IFS can have the 8018 model steering gear box. Looks like another Freightliner visit coming up.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Harry - the word is Freightliner will be issuing the recall notices "November 2007." Lucky me - if it includes us I'll need to schedule yet another Freightliner appointment .

I had no idea that a 2005 Vectra/Horizon could have the 8018 steering box. I'm afraid to look. Our chassis was built Feb '05 and the coach was finished late April.

Thanks for the ..great.. news.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:36 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I had no idea that a 2005 Vectra/Horizon could have the 8018 steering box. I'm afraid to look. Our chassis was built Feb '05 and the coach was finished late April.

Thanks for the ..great.. news. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi John,

My chassis build date is the same as yours. It may be good news and bad news. The bad news may be another visit to Freightliner. I am now trying to consolidating my problems (3) to one visit (hopefully).

The good news is in reference to changing the tires to load LRH tires for more safety with regard to weight limits on the front axel.

Based on previous posts, I now believe that all the components on my coach are the same as on the 14000# rated IFS axels and that the tires are the only difference. That is reassuring at least when making this LRH tire change as I plan to do in the future.