Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

After a year of ownership, I finally was able to obtain a 4 corner weight when the rig was "camping ready". I was heading out on a 2 week trip and had the rig loaded. Full fuel, propane, 25% fresh water, and empty holding tanks. Full food and drink, clothes, and camping extras like fire wood. I have been running max recommended tire pressures by Winne, 110 Lbs in the front tires, and 95 Lbs in the rear duals.

The scales provided the following info:

Left front- #4100 Right front- #3920 Total, #8920 pounds total. Front axle max is #10,410 for a difference of #2390 Lbs under GAWR.

Left rear- #6960 Right rear- #7160, Total, #14,120 Lbs total. Rear axle max is #17,500 Lbs, for a difference of #3380 Lbs under GAWR. Total for the coach is #5770 Lbs under the GVWR of # 27,910 pounds. The GCVR is #38,910 Lbs, of which my #3,500 pound Wrangler is not even close.

The real surprise is when I checked these weights against the Michelin recommended tire pressures for a 255X80RX22.5 XRV tire. Being generous with the weights, and bumping the pressure another 5 pounds for a "safety margin", I still should be running #90 pounds in the front tires, and #85 in the rear dually's!

That is quite a bit under the Winnie info sticker of #110 fronts and #95 rears. All I can speculate is that Winnie recommends the weight that would be necessary if the coach was loaded to it's maximum legal load.

Since I just started a two week trip, I lowered the pressure to #95 front, and #85 rear for the next driving day. The coach handled the same, but I did notice a little less "harshness" being transfered to the steering and less vibration in the coach contents when hitting those road divits that are out there on every highway. (I did fudge the front tires another 5 pounds for sake of my nerves). I am curious to see what if any effect there is on mileage on the long run. My main concern is to treat these expen$ive tires right, and make them last for a very long time.

Moral of this story is "get a four corner weight". I was happily surprised, but that may not always be the case. Weigh and be sure, and above all, be safe.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

After a year of ownership, I finally was able to obtain a 4 corner weight when the rig was "camping ready". I was heading out on a 2 week trip and had the rig loaded. Full fuel, propane, 25% fresh water, and empty holding tanks. Full food and drink, clothes, and camping extras like fire wood. I have been running max recommended tire pressures by Winne, 110 Lbs in the front tires, and 95 Lbs in the rear duals.

Left front- #4100 Right front- #3920 Total, #8920 pounds total. Front axle max is #10,410 for a difference of #2390 Lbs under GAWR.

Left rear- #6960 Right rear- #7160, Total, #14,120 Lbs total. Rear axle max is #17,500 Lbs, for a difference of #3380 Lbs under GAWR. Total for the coach is #5770 Lbs under the GVWR of # 27,910 pounds. The GCVR is #38,910 Lbs, of which my #3,500 pound Wrangler is not even close.

The real surprise is when I checked these weights against the Michelin recommended tire pressures for a 255X80RX22.5 XRV tire. Being generous with the weights, and bumping the pressure another 5 pounds for a "safety margin", I still should be running #90 pounds in the front tires, and #85 in the rear dually's!

That is quite a bit under the Winnie info sticker of #110 fronts and #95 rears. All I can speculate is that Winnie recommends the weight that would be necessary if the coach was loaded to it's maximum legal load.

Since I just started a two week trip, I lowered the pressure to #95 front, and #85 rear for the next driving day. The coach handled the same, but I did notice a little less "harshness" being transfered to the steering and less vibration in the coach contents when hitting those road divits that are out there on every highway. (I did fudge the front tires another 5 pounds for sake of my nerves). I am curious to see what if any effect there is on mileage on the long run. My main concern is to treat these expen$ive tires right, and make them last for a very long time.

Moral of this story is "get a four corner weight". I was happily surprised, but that may not always be the case. Weigh and be sure, and above all, be safe.

Sarge

Old 05-14-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Your guess is right, WI puts the pressure on the placard based on rated weight.

I think some of the best advise I've gotten was to get a four corner weight and adjust pressure accordingly.

I got our coach weighed a little over a year ago when we were fully loaded, somewhat over what we usually are, and found that we were well under the gross. I run my pressure 5# over the specs for a safety fudge factor, and find that this helps with handling issues.

Not sure if it really will make a difference in wear on the tires over the long run, as we only put about 8-10k/yr on the coach, and the tires will need replacing before they wear out, but surely it can't hurt.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SargeW:

Sarge </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sarge,

I think your front total seems a bit off.

Left front - #4,100
Right front - #3,920
Total - #8,020
Frnt max - #10,410
Difference - #2,390 Lbs under GAWR.

Your inflating for 4,100 lbs right?

Anyways your packing light and saving fuel, rubber and wear on your rig and thats a good thing!
Old 05-15-2007, 01:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

How many folks have had the four corners weighed empty. Would show you how much Winnie is off on its numbers on a new coach and which corners/areas need the most weight when you load.
These numbers may suprise you in how much lower the coach weighs than what Winnie says.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:35 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Neil,

Yes, I am off 180 pounds in the front, and 200 pounds in the rear. Not a lot really considering the gross axle weight of each axle. The tech that weighed my rig said that he weighed one last week that was off 2000 pounds from side to side!!

I think it would be an eye opener to see what the four corner weight would be when the rig was delivered completely empty from Winnie.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Me think I saw a minimum front PSI in the Workhorse chassis manual for my W-24 on page 36 of 105 front and 95 rear for the XRV-235/80-22.5 tires. Minimums for the 22,000 lb chassis are also there for those interested.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:53 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

It is hard to get a true 4 corner weight on a trcuk scale. As the ground around the scale is not level. This causes a weight shift on the MH.

Best are the ones the State police (portable scale) use or a reg outfit that does 4 corner weight. Would be more accurate.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SargeW:
--snip--
Since I just started a two week trip, I lowered the pressure to #95 front, and #85 rear for the next driving day. The coach handled the same, but I did notice a little less "harshness" being transfered to the steering and less vibration in the coach contents when hitting those road divits that are out there on every highway. (I did fudge the front tires another 5 pounds for sake of my nerves).--snip
Sarge </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sarge - good for you for getting a four-corner weigh! It took us about 18 months to get that accomplished.

We found that our handling, body roll to be specific, was noticeably different from 95 to 115 pounds in the front tires. At 95 or 100 pounds the coach felt like it was going to roll over in a tight corner (not really, but it was pronounced) and at a higher pressure the body roll felt minimal. On freeway curves the coach now felt like it was firmly planted on the pavement; the downside of this as you have discovered is the transmission of bumps to the chassis and house.

What others have done, and we will follow suit at some point, is to change out the front tires for a Load Range H from a G. Then you don't need to run as much pressure for the weight.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

We are fortunate to have a moving company with a modern facility. The scales are flush with the pavement and its easy to get a 4 corner weigh. They are very accomodating and will take you most any time..Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:28 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

John, wouldn't that extra step up in load range make for a stiffer sidewall? I could see the benifit for the extra load carrying ability, but it seems that the stiffer sidewall would make for a harder ride.

The scale I weighed at was a large pad scale. The surrounding area was fairly flat from what I recall. What it did provide was a lot of peace of mind. Now I know that 1) I am not over loaded on any wheel position or either axle, and 2) there is still room in each wheel position for any adjustments that I need to make later on. Roll on!

Sarge

Old 05-16-2007, 03:49 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

John, wouldn't that extra step up in load range make for a stiffer sidewall? --snip--
Sarge </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The benefit of an LRH vs an LRG tire is the ability to run the tire at a lower pressure for a particular load. In my case, I would probably be able to drop the pressure down to 95 or 100 pounds (I haven't looked at the weight chart for the tire, but this is probably ballpark). I believe Winnie went to the LRH tire on the 2006+ Horizon/Vectra since that front suspension is rated at 14,400 (or thereabouts) pounds vs my 12,000.

We always feel better when we know what our coach weighs and that we have the proper tire pressure.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:29 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Sarge, John Canfield is correct. I replaced the dry cracking, Michelin 235/80 with Goodyear G-670 255/70 load range H and was able to lower the pressures form 110psi to 95psi. The ride and handling are much better and the side roll is not nearly so harsh. Example: XRV 235/80 to carry 4675lbs needs 110psi, 255/70 G-670 "H" only 95psi.
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:27 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

You know, on a heavier rig like yours John, I think that would be a good bet. On my 32T I think it would ride like a skateboard!!

But either way, knowing your weights is always the best way to go. I used to have a fiver, and hung around on various forums that were mainly fiver related issues. Reading the post by some of those folks would make me cringe...

Old 05-17-2007, 11:05 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Sarge, I forgot to mention our coach is a 32ft. Horizon, the sister to yours. It is a much better driving and riding MH now with the G-670, 255/70 load range "H". One difference in our coaches is the front axel specs. mine has a 9350lb.capacity. Sam
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:51 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

My LRG's are rated at 5205 on a single application. That is for a 255X80RX22.5.

By dropping the pressure to 95 in the fronts has not as yet made a noticible difference in side roll or overall "softness" in the ride. I will log some more miles to get a really accurate impression. With a 10,410 front axle weight on the front of the Meridian, I have lots of room to spare. Michelin says that I could take them down to 75 pounds for the weight that I am carrying but that would be a little scary for me.......

Old 05-18-2007, 09:05 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oh-one:
Sarge, John Canfield is correct. I replaced the dry cracking, Michelin 235/80 with Goodyear G-670 255/70 load range H and was able to lower the pressures form 110psi to 95psi. The ride and handling are much better and the side roll is not nearly so harsh. Example: XRV 235/80 to carry 4675lbs needs 110psi, 255/70 G-670 "H" only 95psi. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We just replaced our XRV 235/80 "G" tires with Goodyear G-670 "H" tires, also. Our coach delivered with very low CCC, so we run right at the max weight. Our coach is in getting annual service, so haven't had a chance to see if there is a difference in the ride/handling... But, we are going to feel much more secure with the G-670s.

With this change, will there be much diffence on the odometer and speedometer? If so, in which direction?

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:17 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

It depends upon the circumference of the tire. The higher side wall rating may not change the overall size of the tire, but it could. If so, the tire would most likely be slightly larger than the one you took off. That would make the speedometer read slower than you are actually are traveling. How much depends on the size difference. It would also effect the odometer the same percentage as the speedometer.

Sarge

Old 05-18-2007, 06:51 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Sarge: Where did you get the 4-point weight at? Is it a public site? I'm still looking for one in N. LA County/ Santa Clarita, but you're right... theres not a lot of them around.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:58 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Jeff,

I went to a place called Dycorp in Anaheim on Ball Rd. The specialize in trailer parts and have a full size pad scale in front. I just shifted the rig around to catch each tire on the pad. Cost me $10.