Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-10-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
KCE
Winnebago Owner

BTW GM fans, when I was at the Tampa RV show last February, I spoke to a WH engineer about various engine topics. He let it out that GM is discontinuing the big block 8.1 engine because it is old technology. Apparently, like Ford, they are developing a smaller displacement engine that is more efficient and will produce equivalent horsepower and torque. Don't know when this will happen, though.....
KCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
KCE
Winnebago Owner

BTW GM fans, when I was at the Tampa RV show last February, I spoke to a WH engineer about various engine topics. He let it out that GM is discontinuing the big block 8.1 engine because it is old technology. Apparently, like Ford, they are developing a smaller displacement engine that is more efficient and will produce equivalent horsepower and torque. Don't know when this will happen, though.....
Old 05-10-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
KCE, this was discussed here in the past. If my memory serves me correctly DriVer said the engine would be available to Workhorse through 2010. I am sure DriVer will correct the dates if I am wrong.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:33 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for that post KCE. I sure hope GM has an epiphany. I don't look forward to a small block screamer.

Here is a chart on what we have approx.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:29 AM   #5
KCE
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, I'll look for the old thread.

Maybe a "small block screamer" that gets 12 miles to the gal. huh!!
Old 05-11-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KCE:
huh!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure I'll have to adjust and 12 mpg would be nice.

Maybe a super hybrid with enough electric motor snot to get you up to speed and help up the hills because on the flats, the big ole' 8.1 is sort loafing.

I wish some smart person could put all the wasted exhaust energy to good use in all our vehicle. We shoot enough flame energy out the exhaust to fire an electrical plant for a small town. Slight exaggeration.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:32 AM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KCE:
BTW GM fans, when I was at the Tampa RV show last February, I spoke to a WH engineer about various engine topics. He let it out that GM is discontinuing the big block 8.1 engine because it is old technology...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>... and I was there! The "BB" 496CID will still be with us until 2010.

Rumor has it that GM is developing a V-10 and if it's along the same technology as the 6.0L engine - it's going to be an awesome engine.

About the 8.1L Vortec it's not old technology it just simply has matured. You can do some research on the web and find bits a pieces of info about the new mill. I found some on the other GM boards.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

This chart of the 7.0 GM engine shows better torque and horsepower than the 8.1 and it's not a screamer.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:33 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:

I wish some smart person could put all the wasted exhaust energy to good use in all our vehicle. We shoot enough flame energy out the exhaust to fire an electrical plant for a small town. Slight exaggeration. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya just say it in the USA and somebody is already doing it. Any of you race car types know this gentleman?

Polular Science
Old 05-26-2007, 02:54 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Any of you race car types know this gentleman? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not personally, but he has been one of the "Heavy Hitters" in the "High (ultra) Performance" cam grinding business for a long time. He's "legit"...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 03:29 PM   #11

I wouldn't want one of the new V-10's until after it's been in service for a year or two....The 8.1 is really a proven engine.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote