Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Foul Odor II

I've read the thread started by Boeing Guy -- but here's a similar question: After 4+ years of full timing, I'm pretty sure there is a build up of gunk (food, hair, etc.) in the bottom of the gray water holding tank that does not drain out, and smells. The additive we use in the black water holding tank does not seem to affect it. Question: What products have you all used to clean the gunk out of the gray water holing tank that will not hurt the plumbing or the tank?
Ustamiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustamiata View Post
I've read the thread started by Boeing Guy -- but here's a similar question: After 4+ years of full timing, I'm pretty sure there is a build up of gunk (food, hair, etc.) in the bottom of the gray water holding tank that does not drain out, and smells. The additive we use in the black water holding tank does not seem to affect it. Question: What products have you all used to clean the gunk out of the gray water holing tank that will not hurt the plumbing or the tank?
Ace hardware sells a product that I use on my house drains (I live with three women, my wife and two daughters, who constantly plug up the shower and sink drains). It melts greese and hair on contact. I suspect that it is just a strong hydrolcholric acid (it doesnt say what the active ingredient is).
I am sorry that i cant remember the name, but it comes in white bottles, wrapped in a clear plastic bag. The labeling suggests industrial use, as it is not a very fancy package. At my local Ace, it lives next to the Draino.

I have little doubt that this would liquify any solids left in either waste tank. It does react to water, wich causes it to boil and give off strong gasses for a short period, so keep your head away from the drain as you pour.

After it dwells in the tank for a little while, you probably will want to rinse, or at least dilute with clear water by filling the tank, and then draining.

To make sure you have adequatly covered the dry stuff, you may need to put a gallon or so into the tank I think.

For this very reason, I decided to stop leaving my tank drains open when camping with hook-ups. I think that the waste needs to float away, and it there isn't water in the tank, it really can't float. If you are in a hot and dry climate, then the waste will likely solidify, causing build up. I choose to simply wait until the tank is full, then open the drains and empty the tanks. Then I close the tank drains, and add several gallons of water to the waste tank to prime it for use.

Cheers,

Rick
Rludtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Have you ever tried the Geo Method? Do a search on the web or this website for instructions. I started using this early this summer and had great results. Both gray and black tanks are clear when I empty and no lingering smell. Plus no harsh chemicals either and much cheaper.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I have tried all the typical RV company products on my gray tank over and over nothing worked for 3 months straight I also followed the directions exactly as the bottles read. I also tried the geo method. The only products that finally worked were ROEBIC Drain Cleaner and a lesser expensive product called EARTHWORM Drain Cleaner. Roebic was found in ACE Hardware and Earthworm is sold in supermarkets or Walmart. My gray tank gauges stopped reading accurately they are the gauges that adhere to the ouside of the tank they do no go through the tank I did not have an odor but innacurate reading. Roebic has several different types of cleaners check their web site.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks all! I do wait 'til tanks are pretty full before dumping, and I do not leave valves open. We have been sitting for a few weeks, so have not had the opportunity to fully "slosh" the tanks. I have not tried the soft water treatment, though. We are driving 150 mile in a few days; I'll follow the Geo Method before leaving and dump the tanks immediately upon arrival. Crossing my fingers and pinching my nose! Thanks, again!
Old 08-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Just a thought , it may be gunk living on the top side of the tank , make sure what ever method you use , that the tank is full allowing chemicals to clean top of tank
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The waste tanks are a sealed system except for the roof vents. If the odor is not being drawn into the RV from the roof vent in some fashion then you have a problem that needs to be fixed.

Do you have a washer trap that is dry? Have you checked the air admittance valves on the kitchen and bathroom sinks?
Old 08-31-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Talking Thanks!

Tried the geo method -- not sure if tanks are cleaner, but they sure smell better and the sewer hose is full of soapsuds after dumping! Something good is happening. Thanks for your great advice -- as usual on IRV2!
Old 08-31-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
YC1
Winnebago Owner

Clean your p traps and take the shower drain cover off and clean it out. They make some neat pipe cleaner type disposable devices. I pulled a mouse size fur ball out of our shower and the odors went away.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote