Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2016, 12:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Ford V10 and 5 Star Tuning

In a toads comment recently by SUPERGEWL I read that he uses a 5 Star Tuner. I was wondering if he is running gas or diesel and if gas what kind of performance he sees. I have a 2011 Itasca Sunstar (Winnebago) 35F gas and I am looking to improve a torque and mpg. 5 Star advertises improvements in both these areas
smokeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:57 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Ok I can't say it will improve MPG's but it will improve drivability. It will hold shift points longer and make a big difference when going thru the mountains.
Let's just say more pep or get up and go.
5 Star does a great job of maximizing the torque curve of the engine and the transmission. I will say it's well worth the money. I had a tune for my 2003 Winnebago and then bought the tune for my 2014.
Get it you will not regret it, the only thing is if you take your MH to the dealer (FORD) for any work, reload the original tune prior to doing so. Just in case they have some software upgrades to do on the engine or Transmission. After they are done just reload the tune.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Ok I can't say it will improve MPG's but it will improve drivability. It will hold shift points longer and make a big difference when going thru the mountains.
Let's just say more pep or get up and go.
5 Star does a great job of maximizing the torque curve of the engine and the transmission. I will say it's well worth the money. I had a tune for my 2003 Winnebago and then bought the tune for my 2014.
Get it you will not regret it, the only thing is if you take your MH to the dealer (FORD) for any work, reload the original tune prior to doing so. Just in case they have some software upgrades to do on the engine or Transmission. After they are done just reload the tune.
X2 on the 5 star. I have one with program installed for my previous V10 and it did make the shift points much better and increased MPH about 1/2 MPG. What is good is 5 star can produce any program for the unit and email you the download to install.
check the for sale ads in this forum.
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbob View Post
X2 on the 5 star. I have one with program installed for my previous V10 and it did make the shift points much better and increased MPH about 1/2 MPG. What is good is 5 star can produce any program for the unit and email you the download to install.
check the for sale ads in this forum.
X3

We're on our second MH and the 5 star tune makes a world of difference in drivability. Especially using cruise control, won't down shift going over every small overpass just pulls up up and over. I was amazed at the performance and had the 1/2mpg increase.

For the new MH we had to purchase a new tune and it just didn't perform like the tune on our first. A call to 5 star and they suggested a firmware update to my SCT ( device to tune). I had trouble getting my SCT to connect to my computer so another call to 5 star and they did a remote take over of my computer and in a few minutes the firmware update was done. He emailed me a new tune, I loaded into the MH and it now performs as it should.

5 star customer support is the best.

Do A search for 5 star tune and read ALL the positive reviews.

Get it and you love it.
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit 31'
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Question 5-star tune on 6 speed trans

I have only heard great things about the 5-star tune, especially on all the gas v-10s with the 5-speed transmissions. But what about on the new 6-speed transmissions? I recently picked up a new 2017 coach with the 6 speed and so far the shift points and overall drive-ability seems smooth.

Anyone with a 6 speed who has used the 5-star and noticed worthwhile benefits?
jenglish92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

This should be interesting. 5 Star worked out a better tune before Ford came out with the update to fix the Tow/Haul problem. I don't think anyone has said much since they had that done.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:00 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2013 Itasca Sunstar 26he and installed 5Star Tune on it. Very happy with the shifting.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I just posted an update in the Ford section.

I have a 2016 F53 Chassis.

AFTER the Ford firmware update, my transmission shifted perfectly. I then loaded the 5 Star Tune and got a nice increase in power and the shifts points were modified even more.

If you look through the Ford section of the Forum, you will find lots of info. I feel that the upgrade was worth the price.

For what it is worth, I was one of 5Star's test mules for the shifting issues. They are very responsive to telephone calls and emails. Outstanding customer support.

Good luck
Bill
2016 Itasca Sunstar LX 27n, unattractive brownish hue. 530 Watts roof mounted solar, 165 Watts portable solar, Winegard G2 Sat Antenna, Progressive Industries Surge Protector, TPMS, Sirius Satellite Radio.
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hi,
I just bought a 06 Sunova 29R, with only 17,500 miles. Would the 5 Star still work on my older rig and give me all the benefits that everyone here is sharing?
ccit1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:06 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

No reason it shouldn't work on the 06. As to fuel mileage I find if I have the power I use it. Example I am able, towing to maintain a higher speed(all the speed I need) up pass's in the west but at a cost. Shorter run time to the top but fuel flow goes from stock of 16 GPH to 18 GPH. Seat of the pants I get a bit better flow on a flat cruise and of course I get to do over passes without the down shift.

LEN
Old 11-27-2016, 05:04 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccit1999 View Post
Hi,
I just bought a 06 Sunova 29R, with only 17,500 miles. Would the 5 Star still work on my older rig and give me all the benefits that everyone here is sharing?
Our last coach was a 2006 with a 2004 f53 chassis. Had the 5 star and made a huge difference. One thing else other than all the other posters have mentioned is on older f53's they originally ran on the available 100% gasoline and now we have 10% ethanol mix. 5 star compensates for that.
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit 31'
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I just bought mine today for $429.

They are $50 off right now.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
I just bought mine today for $429.

They are $50 off right now.
Thanks for the heads-up about their "Holiday sale". Just spoke w/ the rep and ordered mine. Nice person and very patient w/ answering my (many) questions.
My rig was built on the 2015 chassis and has the 5 speed tranny rather than the 6 speed, so this should help w/ the frequent downshifts and roaring engine when pulling a grade.
TexasProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:47 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasProud View Post
Thanks for the heads-up about their "Holiday sale". Just spoke w/ the rep and ordered mine. Nice person and very patient w/ answering my (many) questions.
My rig was built on the 2015 chassis and has the 5 speed tranny rather than the 6 speed, so this should help w/ the frequent downshifts and roaring engine when pulling a grade.
I had mention in a previous post To look in this forum at the for sale items, I had posted mine for sale cheep with program installed.
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:52 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Just a word of caution... if you are still under manufacturer's or third party extended warranty, as we are with our new 2016 Vista, you will void said warranties should you decide to flash the engine control module. We checked with Ford and our extended warranty. Even if you return the ECM back to original Ford can see if the ECM was modified with a non OEM reprogram. We had purchased the 5 Star unit but returned it no problem after we learned of the implications. After warranties expire we will be ordering the unit again....
flapwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:30 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasProud View Post
TexasProud,

Thank you for your order and your feedback! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about the performance & drivability benefits to your coach. I believe you are really going to enjoy the changes.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:34 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapwing View Post
Just a word of caution... if you are still under manufacturer's or third party extended warranty, as we are with our new 2016 Vista, you will void said warranties should you decide to flash the engine control module. We checked with Ford and our extended warranty. Even if you return the ECM back to original Ford can see if the ECM was modified with a non OEM reprogram. We had purchased the 5 Star unit but returned it no problem after we learned of the implications. After warranties expire we will be ordering the unit again....
flapwing,

We appreciate you looking at our unit again in the future when you're ready. With your aftermarket and oem warranty with any aftermarket components your warranty will remain fully intact. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act forbids a warranty to be void just by having an added or changed component. Otherwise our factory warranty would be void by changing sway bars, tires, brakes or any other component other than strictly at a dealership.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:35 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbob View Post
I had mention in a previous post To look in this forum at the for sale items, I had posted mine for sale cheep with program installed.
Always a good section to keep an eye on. You never know what you may find for a great deal!
Old 12-12-2016, 09:38 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlucky View Post
I just posted an update in the Ford section.

I have a 2016 F53 Chassis.

AFTER the Ford firmware update, my transmission shifted perfectly. I then loaded the 5 Star Tune and got a nice increase in power and the shifts points were modified even more.

If you look through the Ford section of the Forum, you will find lots of info. I feel that the upgrade was worth the price.

For what it is worth, I was one of 5Star's test mules for the shifting issues. They are very responsive to telephone calls and emails. Outstanding customer support.

Good luck
Bill
Ditto on my 6sp 2016 ford v10
Old 12-12-2016, 10:25 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russtj60 View Post
Ditto on my 6sp 2016 ford v10
Thank you Russ!

Tags
ford, v10