Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-23-2016, 01:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2
Ford V10 and 5 Star Tuning

In a toads comment recently by SUPERGEWL I read that he uses a 5 Star Tuner. I was wondering if he is running gas or diesel and if gas what kind of performance he sees. I have a 2011 Itasca Sunstar (Winnebago) 35F gas and I am looking to improve a torque and mpg. 5 Star advertises improvements in both these areas
smokeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:57 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise
 
SuperGewl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 477
Ok I can't say it will improve MPG's but it will improve drivability. It will hold shift points longer and make a big difference when going thru the mountains.
Let's just say more pep or get up and go.
5 Star does a great job of maximizing the torque curve of the engine and the transmission. I will say it's well worth the money. I had a tune for my 2003 Winnebago and then bought the tune for my 2014.
Get it you will not regret it, the only thing is if you take your MH to the dealer (FORD) for any work, reload the original tune prior to doing so. Just in case they have some software upgrades to do on the engine or Transmission. After they are done just reload the tune.
__________________
Retired Navy Submariner
2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F; 5 Star tuned; 2014 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
SuperGewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper
 
scooterbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Ok I can't say it will improve MPG's but it will improve drivability. It will hold shift points longer and make a big difference when going thru the mountains.
Let's just say more pep or get up and go.
5 Star does a great job of maximizing the torque curve of the engine and the transmission. I will say it's well worth the money. I had a tune for my 2003 Winnebago and then bought the tune for my 2014.
Get it you will not regret it, the only thing is if you take your MH to the dealer (FORD) for any work, reload the original tune prior to doing so. Just in case they have some software upgrades to do on the engine or Transmission. After they are done just reload the tune.
X2 on the 5 star. I have one with program installed for my previous V10 and it did make the shift points much better and increased MPH about 1/2 MPG. What is good is 5 star can produce any program for the unit and email you the download to install.
check the for sale ads in this forum.
__________________
Bob & Karen & Buddy "yourkie"
2008 Winnebago 39W Destination DP
Full time One Destination at a time.
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher
 
bruce91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Port Orange, Fl
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbob View Post
X2 on the 5 star. I have one with program installed for my previous V10 and it did make the shift points much better and increased MPH about 1/2 MPG. What is good is 5 star can produce any program for the unit and email you the download to install.
check the for sale ads in this forum.
X3

We're on our second MH and the 5 star tune makes a world of difference in drivability. Especially using cruise control, won't down shift going over every small overpass just pulls up up and over. I was amazed at the performance and had the 1/2mpg increase.

For the new MH we had to purchase a new tune and it just didn't perform like the tune on our first. A call to 5 star and they suggested a firmware update to my SCT ( device to tune). I had trouble getting my SCT to connect to my computer so another call to 5 star and they did a remote take over of my computer and in a few minutes the firmware update was done. He emailed me a new tune, I loaded into the MH and it now performs as it should.

5 star customer support is the best.

Do A search for 5 star tune and read ALL the positive reviews.

Get it and you love it.
__________________
Bruce & June Hotaling, 2 Cockers, Maggie & Sadie
2009 Thor Magellan 36R 37' F53 w/5 star tune
Toad 2010 Ford Ranger W/Rampage lift for the Harley
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit 31'
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher
 
jenglish92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1
Question 5-star tune on 6 speed trans

I have only heard great things about the 5-star tune, especially on all the gas v-10s with the 5-speed transmissions. But what about on the new 6-speed transmissions? I recently picked up a new 2017 coach with the 6 speed and so far the shift points and overall drive-ability seems smooth.

Anyone with a 6 speed who has used the 5-star and noticed worthwhile benefits?
__________________
Joe & Kelli
2017 Tiffin Allegro 32SA, CHF, Reflex SS
2016 Honda HR-V (6-sp manual) toad
jenglish92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 151
This should be interesting. 5 Star worked out a better tune before Ford came out with the update to fix the Tow/Haul problem. I don't think anyone has said much since they had that done.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:00 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise
 
Rossi6998's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 351
I have a 2013 Itasca Sunstar 26he and installed 5Star Tune on it. Very happy with the shifting.
__________________
John Rossi
2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
I just posted an update in the Ford section.

I have a 2016 F53 Chassis.

AFTER the Ford firmware update, my transmission shifted perfectly. I then loaded the 5 Star Tune and got a nice increase in power and the shifts points were modified even more.

If you look through the Ford section of the Forum, you will find lots of info. I feel that the upgrade was worth the price.

For what it is worth, I was one of 5Star's test mules for the shifting issues. They are very responsive to telephone calls and emails. Outstanding customer support.

Good luck
Bill
__________________
2016 Itasca Sunstar LX 27n, unattractive brownish hue. 530 Watts roof mounted solar, 165 Watts portable solar, Winegard G2 Sat Antenna, Progressive Industries Surge Protector, TPMS, Sirius Satellite Radio.
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 01:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper
 
ccit1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 7
Hi,
I just bought a 06 Sunova 29R, with only 17,500 miles. Would the 5 Star still work on my older rig and give me all the benefits that everyone here is sharing?
__________________
Paul & Kim
2006 Itasca Sunova 29R
Sunny Fallbrook
ccit1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:06 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner
 
OLYLEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Olympia, Wa
Posts: 78
No reason it shouldn't work on the 06. As to fuel mileage I find if I have the power I use it. Example I am able, towing to maintain a higher speed(all the speed I need) up pass's in the west but at a cost. Shorter run time to the top but fuel flow goes from stock of 16 GPH to 18 GPH. Seat of the pants I get a bit better flow on a flat cruise and of course I get to do over passes without the down shift.

LEN
__________________
2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:04 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher
 
bruce91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Port Orange, Fl
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccit1999 View Post
Hi,
I just bought a 06 Sunova 29R, with only 17,500 miles. Would the 5 Star still work on my older rig and give me all the benefits that everyone here is sharing?
Our last coach was a 2006 with a 2004 f53 chassis. Had the 5 star and made a huge difference. One thing else other than all the other posters have mentioned is on older f53's they originally ran on the available 100% gasoline and now we have 10% ethanol mix. 5 star compensates for that.
__________________
Bruce & June Hotaling, 2 Cockers, Maggie & Sadie
2009 Thor Magellan 36R 37' F53 w/5 star tune
Toad 2010 Ford Ranger W/Rampage lift for the Harley
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit 31'
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper
 
marjoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 49
I just bought mine today for $429.

They are $50 off right now.
__________________
TEAM Martin & Joanie...and Wookie (our Yorkie)
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, Koni FSD's, BG Fluids, 2017 FORD Fiesta
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper
 
TexasProud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
I just bought mine today for $429.

They are $50 off right now.
Thanks for the heads-up about their "Holiday sale". Just spoke w/ the rep and ordered mine. Nice person and very patient w/ answering my (many) questions.
My rig was built on the 2015 chassis and has the 5 speed tranny rather than the 6 speed, so this should help w/ the frequent downshifts and roaring engine when pulling a grade.
__________________
Ed W.
Kerrville, TX
2017 Aspect 30J
TexasProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:47 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper
 
scooterbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasProud View Post
Thanks for the heads-up about their "Holiday sale". Just spoke w/ the rep and ordered mine. Nice person and very patient w/ answering my (many) questions.
My rig was built on the 2015 chassis and has the 5 speed tranny rather than the 6 speed, so this should help w/ the frequent downshifts and roaring engine when pulling a grade.
I had mention in a previous post To look in this forum at the for sale items, I had posted mine for sale cheep with program installed.
__________________
Bob & Karen & Buddy "yourkie"
2008 Winnebago 39W Destination DP
Full time One Destination at a time.
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:52 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper
 
flapwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Abbotsford, BC
Posts: 29
Just a word of caution... if you are still under manufacturer's or third party extended warranty, as we are with our new 2016 Vista, you will void said warranties should you decide to flash the engine control module. We checked with Ford and our extended warranty. Even if you return the ECM back to original Ford can see if the ECM was modified with a non OEM reprogram. We had purchased the 5 Star unit but returned it no problem after we learned of the implications. After warranties expire we will be ordering the unit again....
__________________
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2016 Vista LX 27N
Toad: 2014 Honda CRV When not RVing:1975 Cessna 172M
flapwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:30 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper
 
5star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasProud View Post
Thanks for the heads-up about their "Holiday sale". Just spoke w/ the rep and ordered mine. Nice person and very patient w/ answering my (many) questions.
My rig was built on the 2015 chassis and has the 5 speed tranny rather than the 6 speed, so this should help w/ the frequent downshifts and roaring engine when pulling a grade.
TexasProud,

Thank you for your order and your feedback! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about the performance & drivability benefits to your coach. I believe you are really going to enjoy the changes.
__________________
GOT A V10 RV? Got a Gas or Diesel Truck ? Got a Diesel RV? www.5startuning.com or [email protected]
843-536-1244
5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:34 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper
 
5star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapwing View Post
Just a word of caution... if you are still under manufacturer's or third party extended warranty, as we are with our new 2016 Vista, you will void said warranties should you decide to flash the engine control module. We checked with Ford and our extended warranty. Even if you return the ECM back to original Ford can see if the ECM was modified with a non OEM reprogram. We had purchased the 5 Star unit but returned it no problem after we learned of the implications. After warranties expire we will be ordering the unit again....
flapwing,

We appreciate you looking at our unit again in the future when you're ready. With your aftermarket and oem warranty with any aftermarket components your warranty will remain fully intact. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act forbids a warranty to be void just by having an added or changed component. Otherwise our factory warranty would be void by changing sway bars, tires, brakes or any other component other than strictly at a dealership.
__________________
GOT A V10 RV? Got a Gas or Diesel Truck ? Got a Diesel RV? www.5startuning.com or [email protected]
843-536-1244
5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper
 
5star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbob View Post
I had mention in a previous post To look in this forum at the for sale items, I had posted mine for sale cheep with program installed.
Always a good section to keep an eye on. You never know what you may find for a great deal!
__________________
GOT A V10 RV? Got a Gas or Diesel Truck ? Got a Diesel RV? www.5startuning.com or [email protected]
843-536-1244
5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:38 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
 
Russtj60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Virginia Beach, Va
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by superlucky View Post
I just posted an update in the Ford section.

I have a 2016 F53 Chassis.

AFTER the Ford firmware update, my transmission shifted perfectly. I then loaded the 5 Star Tune and got a nice increase in power and the shifts points were modified even more.

If you look through the Ford section of the Forum, you will find lots of info. I feel that the upgrade was worth the price.

For what it is worth, I was one of 5Star's test mules for the shifting issues. They are very responsive to telephone calls and emails. Outstanding customer support.

Good luck
Bill
Ditto on my 6sp 2016 ford v10
__________________
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2017 Canyon Star 3710 with TruOX TruCenter TPMS 507 Pulling either a 2012 Road Glide CVO & 2012 Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or Jeep Unlimited
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper
 
5star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russtj60 View Post
Ditto on my 6sp 2016 ford v10
Thank you Russ!
__________________
GOT A V10 RV? Got a Gas or Diesel Truck ? Got a Diesel RV? www.5startuning.com or [email protected]
843-536-1244
5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ford, v10


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford V10 Doghouse Insulation General Maintenance and Repair 21 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×