Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Ford sticker shock

dealer called today that he had a 2013 ford escape in. we went went for a test drive and was not overly empressed,[ we have a 2009 escape ] but thought it was a nice looking vehicle. then the salesman said the msrp was over $35,000. then I asked for the for the owners manual and it said you had to tow it on a dolly. 4 wheel drive must be put on a trailer. now I will have to decide am I loyal to ford or not. just looked at remco's site and see that ford says the 2012 escape can only be towed with a lube pump. I believe they have the same trany as the 2009, 2010, and 2011. I read somewheres that someone bought a chevy to tow and then later GM sent him a letter saying it was not towable even thoughthe owners manual sted it was. I think I miss my Tracker.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Yes Chevy reversed themselves on the Cruise. I would be pretty upset if I had been towing 4 down & then get the letter. I can see nothing but headaches if your Cruise trans. failed.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have always been a loyal Ford customer but they now have so few vehicles that can be flat towed, I will be looking elsewhere. I also looked at a 2013 Escape recently but, since it cannot be flat towed, crossed it off my list. When we are ready to trade our 2008 Explorer, it will likely be for the new Honda CR-V. If I were the only driver, I would get a manual tranny vehicle which increases the choices. However, the DW is not into driving manual tranny vehicles these days.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have also always towed a Ford product 4 down, but will be looking at other brands for a the new tow.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #5

How about an Edge? We've run into two folks that were towing an Edge. Of course they are smaller than an Escape but cost just a bit less (but not much!). FWD only can be towed, though. We met another couple who were contemplating buying a new 2013 Edge but after our telling them how simple it was towing our Outback, they decided to look at a Subaru Forester instead because they wanted AWD (the said that they didn't mind a stick in a Subie as they are so silky smooth and easy to drive).

We've heard that Remco now has a lube pump for the Cruze. I know DH doesn't want to be bothered with any car that needs a lube pump or any disconnects, etc. That's why we like the Subaru so much as it's so simple to tow without any restrictions.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

if your a veteran, join the DAV and you can get ford products at X plan pricing. lifetime membership is under 250.
it takes the sting off the sticker a palatable meal

rule # dont listen to a salesguy.
instead read here

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...ng/default.asp
about which fords can be towed four down, they got tons of negative feedback and are changing many models to be towed four down
the edge, at least our 08 was four down towable with no issues
Old 06-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I have always towed a Jeep product because they're made to be towed on all fours.
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The edge, flex, explorer, Taurus, fusion, focus, and fiesta can all be towed 4 down, as long as they are FWD, NOTAWD. We just bought a 2012 Focus last year with all the good stuff. It's a great car, and can be towed. We got a manual, no steering colum lock, no need for key in it while towing.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #9

We have a 2011 Edge and 2011 Flex and both can be towed with four down. Also, my DH is a disabled vet and we can not only get his scooter in the back of the Flex with the lift the VA installed, but Ford will cover the adaptability cost. However as a 100% DAV the VA covered the cost. Easy to do when you tow. Start car, put in neutral turn off car and put key in accessory mode.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

It is not just Ford sticker shock, it is on every vehicle.....ouch.

Ken
Old 06-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

The Suzuki Grand Vitara Limited 4WD can be towed 4 down and with all the bells and whistles comes in around $26K. Suzuki advertises that this unit is designed as is to be towed 4 down and it will not register the miles.
papa peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

OK...here is just another opinion. Look at the Ford Edge, 2 & 4 wheel, both are towable 4 down..according to Ford (not me). At the 2013 Escape MSRP of $35,000...you could also get into a very nice Edge.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
Yes Chevy reversed themselves on the Cruise. I would be pretty upset if I had been towing 4 down & then get the letter. I can see nothing but headaches if your Cruise trans. failed.
Chervy isn't the only one. Honda did the same thing in 2005, even had it in writing on their letterhead that it was towable four down. Had all the towing gear on and towed it about 300 miles.
I didn't get a letter, they called me on a Friday morning. I had the MH out and on the street with the Ody hooked up.
Cost them about $2,200 though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Getting back to sticker shock, when I saw the Escape sitting at a dealer and walked up to see the window sticker I about fell over. It is simply amazing where the price of these vehicles are going. This particular one was $37K. I started laughing as the salesman was walking toward me and he asked what was wrong. I just looked at him and said they must be kidding right??
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford