Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-29-2009, 01:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Ford Instrument Cluster Visibility

I love my 2008 Sunova, but I wish a little more energy had been spent on the design of the drivers area. Radio and Air controls are hard to reach and of course the cup holders block the CD player. One of the most annoying things is how difficult it is to read the instrument cluster during the daytime. At night it is well illuminated, but during the day it is difficult to see especially due to glare. Does any one else have this problem? Has anyone come up with a solution?
mrb604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I've noted the same problems often not able to read dash panel in daylight due to shadows, glare, etc. The best visibility I have gained is by lowering steering wheel all the way down and adjusting seat fore and aft position as well as the back. It becomes satisfactory. I have steering wheel controls for the radio so this is not much of a problem. As far as reading the gauges, I also added ScanGuage and just use it for important info. Know this doesn't answer anything, but you are not alone.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Just called Winne bago on this and they said to call Ford. Ford said call Winnebago. I'm thinking that I may try to wire the dash lights to be on all the time like my car. I haven't figured out how to do that yet.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have the same problem. This may sound funny but my solution was to buy a very small flashlight, about the size of your pinky, and keep it on the front of the instrument panel. Then when I want to check fuel I just shine it on the gauge. Good luck.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I like Flyer's idea. Now if only I knew how to do it.
I guess I could just drive with my headlights on all day, but there is no bell to remind me to turn them off when I park. My luck, I will drain the engine battery.
Do all Ford's F53 chassis have this problem?
Old 07-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I don't remember this problem on my 2006 HR Admiral on the Ford Chassis. Could probably mount a small LED light on inside curvature of dash to shine on this area. I will think about how to do this as my brain is currently unoccupied.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Odd...

I have a 2009 Sightseer on a Ford chassis and don't have any problem with gauge visibility. What color is the dash in your unit? Could it be that the background contrast is not good for seeing the cluster? Mine is beige vinyl and the does not have any glare to it.

FWIW the instrumentation is ford, however, the encased dash area is Winnebago...not sure if that helps.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I have the same problem. I also have thought of putting LEDs in the dash. But what I would really like is to have gauges like my Saturn toad. During the daytime, the gauge faces are white, with black numbers/letters and red pointers. At night, the gauge faces are black the numbers/letters are white (backlit) and the pointers light up red. These are great looking gauges. i've tried finding them on the internet, but so far I've had no success.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I think a possible solution may be a 12v LED flex neck or map light. There are many different ones out there. I did not find one specific one that I thought would be best. Most would need some modification whether a longer cord to the 12v outlet or an on/off switch.

As I said earlier, if you do not have a ScanGuage II, you might consider that route. I use it for my important temps most of the time while switching back and forth to the trip minder which gives me my fuel data, including gallons remaining (less generator use). For my Sunova on Ford, the unit was precise enough straight from the box. The Scan guage also provides engine codes and resets if needed. The unit is small, I just placed mine on the plastic steering wheel cover in front of the dash. The display is backlit for easy reading. No vested interest, but this little unit is why I don't get too upset about my gauge visibility. And since most speed limits are merely goals rarely attained, reading the speedo not so much of a problem.

Good luck and post solution. It will be helpful to others.

Richard
Old 07-30-2009, 06:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

How about something like this, GAUGE SHADE.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

The problem is actually too much shade, but I like the Guage Shade for another problem.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:24 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

My main problem is glare. Mc2Guy, it sounds like we have the same color dash. The clear plastic that covers the whole cluster is much too reflective. During the day, what I usually see when I look at the gauges is a reflection of my hands on the steering wheel. This is a stark contrast to my honda where I can't even tell there is anything covering the gauges. Speaking of my honda, the gauges in it actually light up brightly during the day and then dim down when you turn on the headlights. The exact opposite of Ford where there are no lights on the gauges during the day.
I just feel that my most expensive vehicle should be more enjoyable to drive.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I know that this is an old thread, but the problem is still there, at least on my 2011 ITASCA SunStar Model IFE30W. I have been trying to come up with a simple solution on my coach.

IMHO, Farkwee's idea is the simplest so far: "This may sound funny but my solution was to buy a very small flashlight, about the size of your pinky, and keep it on the front of the instrument panel. Then when I want to check fuel I just shine it on the gauge."

Has anyone come up with a better solution to the problem since the last post on this problem dated 08/01/2009?

The hard to read gauge cluster (in the bright daylight) can actually become somewhat of a 'distracted driver issue' whenever one tries to read the gauges while driving in the daytime.

Thank you for your time... Alta Sierra
Alta Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:00 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I just bought a 2014 Vista 27n and the problem is still there
Jules Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:21 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Ha ha, I'm still using the same solution after 66000 mi.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #16

I have no issues with mine. But it may be how the body builder mounted the instrument cluster. They are designed around a certain viewing angle. Since Ford does not mount the cluster because that is what the body builder does it is up to them to make it work right. My guess is they design it around how it looks rather then how it works.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:22 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I too have issues seeing the gauges. Especially in bright sun and wearing sunglasses.
Lifting my sunglasses helps but they are still dark. Headlights on doesn't seem to help.
I might try the LED light approach. They make tiny ones for boats they come in colors also. I'd put it on a switch.
bz_ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:32 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bz_ny View Post
I too have issues seeing the gauges. Especially in bright sun and wearing sunglasses.
Lifting my sunglasses helps but they are still dark. Headlights on doesn't seem to help.
I might try the LED light approach. They make tiny ones for boats they come in colors also. I'd put it on a switch.
Regarding sunglasses. I need some correction in mine to read the digital stuff on the dash so have a correction on the bottom of the lens and none on the top part.
I had them remove the tint over the correction portion. This lets me see the dash better and still have sun protection on the top part.

Like others I have a small LED flashlight to help when I really need to see something on the dash. I also use a Scangauge which I can see pretty well.
I have the Workhorse chassis with the Actia instrument panel and it is designed for kids 30 years old, not us older folks.

Back in the 70s I designed electronic speedos and tachs for over the road trucks, buses, and heavy equipment.
Neither the Ford or Chevy RV dashes I have seen in the last 10 years or so would meet the instrument visibility specifications they used back then.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
I have no issues with mine. But it may be how the body builder mounted the instrument cluster. They are designed around a certain viewing angle. Since Ford does not mount the cluster because that is what the body builder does it is up to them to make it work right. My guess is they design it around how it looks rather then how it works.
This problem isn't specific to motorhomes. While most of the time the dash is hard to read there are times when it's almost impossible to read in both our motorhome and my 2010 Ford truck. Sometimes adding a little back lighting by turning on the parking lights helps. Other times when sunlight comes in the drivers side window nothing helps. It's like looking into a black hole.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:26 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

a user named "ghutch" had this solution:
Went to Auto Zone, bought a 12 inch strip of 12v LED lights with adhesive back. Press the strip as close to the clear face as possible shinning down, then applied a very fine chrome adhesive strip against the light strip to block the light from shining outward. Wired it through a rocker switch. Now I CAN SEE the IP in the daytime, and not use it at night. Regular dash light are fine at night. Anyone needing photos, let me know. This is a very good looking fix and will solve your problem.

Pictures are in this thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/viewi...el-152791.html