Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2015, 08:09 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Installing the 5 Star tuning in our 26A Brave later today. Hope to avoid the numerous shifts we experience. Will advise.
JimGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:22 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

5-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGeorgia View Post
Installing the 5 Star tuning in our 26A Brave later today. Hope to avoid the numerous shifts we experience. Will advise.
ooooh, please do let us know how it goes!
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:27 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

5-star (or other tune)

Well, I have to ask.

I always see tunes or other devices to make vehicles run faster, better, more economical, etc... The Q is - if these things work why don't manufacturers use these things to begin with? Manufacturers have to meet mpg requirements and want to be able to beat competitors mpg and performance. If a simple change in shift point programming or throttle parameters is better, why don't we see these come from the factory?

Thank you for anything that will help me understand.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:46 AM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 460 with banks, does that do the same thing that a 5-star does?
If not will they work together, thanks.

I need a valium, a winning lotto ticket, a fulltime nanny and a happy meal
Warren
WAGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:53 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

5 Star Installed on Brave 26A

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
ooooh, please do let us know how it goes!
Finished the 5 Star install yesterday. Had a little trouble locating the computer plug (it's up under the right side of the dash, but once located the install takes less than 10 mins. The device also saves the factory tunes.

I took the 26A Brave on a quick test drive. I didn't get a lot of hills, but my first impression is that it helps maintain the higher (4-5) gears.

I will post more on this after our first "towing" trip, however first impression was very positive.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:26 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Good info about 5 Star. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Well, I have to ask.

I always see tunes or other devices to make vehicles run faster, better, more economical, etc... The Q is - if these things work why don't manufacturers use these things to begin with? Manufacturers have to meet mpg requirements and want to be able to beat competitors mpg and performance.
The F53 chassis is used by most, if not all gas MH builders since the past decade or so.
Therefore, there is no such a thing as "competition" in gas engine rigs.

It is used for chassis capacity from 16K yo 26K, all using the same engine and tranny.

It is a good engine and a good mechanic overhaul.
But it is not tuned for each undividual application, i.e., models of MH.

So, there is plenty of room for fine tuning the engine / tranny or chassis. (suspension & handling: trackbar, swaybar, CHF).

That's when tuners like 5stars come into play: Aftermarket performance and personalisation. And it the next project on my list.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:30 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thank you all for your comments on the F58 chassis. The 5-star tune sounds like something worth looking in to. Please remember, you folks already know a lot more about rv-ing than we do so forgive this but, what is a 5-star tune?
5star tune is a program loaded into your PCM with a tuner device. It modifies the engine and transmission data to make it shift better and perform a whole lot better.
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:32 PM   #29

5 Star tune

I installed the 5 Star Tune on our 2013 Bounder 35K. The automatic shifting was greatly improved. However, I lost the ability to manually upshift or downshift the trans using the shift lever (1,2,3).
I contacted Mike he said they don't do anything in the tune that would affect that. I did a side by side comparison on the hilly road to my house and on a flat road from a dead stop.
With the Ford tune I had total manual shift capability, upshifted and downshifted uphill and downhill with the shifter. From a dead stop, with the shifter in 3, the trans would start off in 1, shift to 2 and shift to 3, where it would stay, until I stopped again where the process would start over. The same happened with the shifter in 2.
With the 5 Star tune the trans would not upshift or downshift using the shift lever on uphills or downhills. From a dead stop with the shifter in 3 the trans started off in 3, not 1. Same with the shifter in 2.
So, to me that conclusively proves that the 5 Star tune is at fault.
With the area I live in, I need the ability to manually shift the trans up or down depending on whether I'm going uphill or downhill.
I've removed the 5 Star tune and put Ford's back in. Looks like I have a $400+ paper weight from 5 Star.
I'm really disappointed, since the product and product support got rave reviews here. That hasn't been my experience.

Back to the screaming downshifts.

Has anyone else had these issues besides me? If so, has Mike resolved it?

Anyone interested in a 5 Star tune? I have one for sale, cheaper than KMart.
WeBRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:41 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

I tried it for a trip to Colorado. Couldn't see any real difference so I went back to factory. IMO, it is a waste of money.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Old Dude:

Interesting. Made a word of difference for us. Happy trails!
Old 04-20-2015, 06:33 AM   #32
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBRVing View Post
I installed the 5 Star Tune on our 2013 Bounder 35K. The automatic shifting was greatly improved. However, I lost the ability to manually upshift or downshift the trans using the shift lever (1,2,3).
I contacted Mike he said they don't do anything in the tune that would affect that. I did a side by side comparison on the hilly road to my house and on a flat road from a dead stop.
With the Ford tune I had total manual shift capability, upshifted and downshifted uphill and downhill with the shifter. From a dead stop, with the shifter in 3, the trans would start off in 1, shift to 2 and shift to 3, where it would stay, until I stopped again where the process would start over. The same happened with the shifter in 2.
With the 5 Star tune the trans would not upshift or downshift using the shift lever on uphills or downhills. From a dead stop with the shifter in 3 the trans started off in 3, not 1. Same with the shifter in 2.
So, to me that conclusively proves that the 5 Star tune is at fault.
With the area I live in, I need the ability to manually shift the trans up or down depending on whether I'm going uphill or downhill.
I've removed the 5 Star tune and put Ford's back in. Looks like I have a $400+ paper weight from 5 Star.
I'm really disappointed, since the product and product support got rave reviews here. That hasn't been my experience.

Back to the screaming downshifts.

Has anyone else had these issues besides me? If so, has Mike resolved it?

Anyone interested in a 5 Star tune? I have one for sale, cheaper than KMart.

OK so you have a 2013 MH, the FORD tranny has a built in program for going up and down the hills that really works well. Push the Tow/Haul button on the end of the gear shifter. This actually puts the tranny in a Hill Descent Mode. WHat is does is change the up shift points to hold better and then in conjunction with the the brake pedal position and angle of the frame it will start down shifting to maintain speed when going down hill. Yes the engine may in fact go into screaming mode due to the down shifts but that is what FORD wants it to do. Read the owners manual.
I have run my MH across country towing and have run many a hill up and down and the system works as described. No burnt out brakes and much much better control going and coming.
What the 5 Star tune did for me was to allow me to use less pedal to get to speed and it kept the tranny in gear longer so no more hunting on the up hills.
You should have no reason to be manually shifting going up or down the hills if you use the tranny to do what FORD said it will do.

Just my .01 worth
Old 04-20-2015, 07:28 AM   #33
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
OK so you have a 2013 MH, the FORD tranny has a built in program for going up and down the hills that really works well. Push the Tow/Haul button on the end of the gear shifter. This actually puts the tranny in a Hill Descent Mode. WHat is does is change the up shift points to hold better and then in conjunction with the the brake pedal position and angle of the frame it will start down shifting to maintain speed when going down hill. Yes the engine may in fact go into screaming mode due to the down shifts but that is what FORD wants it to do. Read the owners manual.
I have run my MH across country towing and have run many a hill up and down and the system works as described. No burnt out brakes and much much better control going and coming.
What the 5 Star tune did for me was to allow me to use less pedal to get to speed and it kept the tranny in gear longer so no more hunting on the up hills.
You should have no reason to be manually shifting going up or down the hills if you use the tranny to do what FORD said it will do.

Just my .01 worth
I've got 2500 mi. on the 5 Star tune. Those miles include everything from the flatlands of Kansas to Monarch Pass in Colorado. I manually downshift going downhill (or mountain) even when stopping at a stop light, same as with the Ford Tune.

Going uphill (or mountain), the transmission automatically downshifts when it needs to. What is gone with the 5 Star Tune is the automatic downshift and engine roaring at every little hill and overpass.

In conclusion, I have not experienced any of the behavior with the 5 Star Tune that WeBRVing says he has.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post

Just my .01 worth
You're incorrect.
Manual shifting limits the trans from going past the chosen gear (1,2,3). Some hills near my house I want to descend in 1st gear only, in conjunction with the brakes. The only way to do this is by manually moving the shift lever to 1. The same thing goes for ascending those same hills, 1st gear only at about 2,500 rpm. This can only be done by moving the shifter to 1.
I have over 20 years experience as a master certified auto, light and medium duty truck technician. Manual shifting capability is there for a reason, you just have to know how to use it.
Mike sent me another Tune so I'm going to try that and see what happens.
WeBRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:51 PM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBRVing View Post
You're incorrect.
Manual shifting limits the trans from going past the chosen gear (1,2,3). Some hills near my house I want to descend in 1st gear only, in conjunction with the brakes. The only way to do this is by manually moving the shift lever to 1. The same thing goes for ascending those same hills, 1st gear only at about 2,500 rpm. This can only be done by moving the shifter to 1.
I have over 20 years experience as a master certified auto, light and medium duty truck technician. Manual shifting capability is there for a reason, you just have to know how to use it.
Mike sent me another Tune so I'm going to try that and see what happens.
How did the new tune work out?
Old 05-04-2015, 05:23 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

On last post I had just installed the 5 star tuning (there are lot's of posts on this elsewhere) but my report is that it did as advertised. I don't find myself with the screaming 3rd gear unless it's a steep grade. 4th gear holds a lot more now. Until the tune was done I really didn't know I had 4th gear....lol.

And just have to give Ford an "attaboy" for Tow/Haul. Was in Blue Ridge mountains 2 weeks ago during bad weather and was apprehensive about going down some of the grades. No problem. Descending at 30 mph with no need for brake pressure on some real twister roads. Thanks Ford!
Old 05-05-2015, 11:08 AM   #37
Winnebago Master

My 35 foot 2001 Adveturer on the F53 towing a Saturn Vue has not been any trouble in stock configuration anywhere on the Eastern Side of the US from Florida to Canada via the Appalation, Shenendoa, Catskills, White Mountains or Thousand Islands region. 14 years basically trouble free.

Tags
f53, ford