Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2005, 02:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Happy New Year everybody.

Is there any particular history of failure among Ford E4OD transmissions? Mine crashed on me just before Christmas, but I haven't gotten an official dagnosis yet. I only have 50+K miles on it of mostly flatland driving (Atlanta to WDW and Atlanta to Mobile). It seems like awfully low mileage for a major failure. It's in a '96 Itasca Suncruiser 37RW.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Happy New Year everybody.

Is there any particular history of failure among Ford E4OD transmissions? Mine crashed on me just before Christmas, but I haven't gotten an official dagnosis yet. I only have 50+K miles on it of mostly flatland driving (Atlanta to WDW and Atlanta to Mobile). It seems like awfully low mileage for a major failure. It's in a '96 Itasca Suncruiser 37RW.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:48 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

The E4OD has not had a sterling history. It is prone to problems. One thing that does help is a realy big external tranny oil cooler. Also change the tranny oil and filter at 20,000 mile intervals.

You can get a rebult tranny from Brian's Truck Shop in Arkansas for about $3800.00 with a rebuildable core. He builds it up special for trucks using components much heavier than Ford uses. I would not bother to put a Ford rebuild in it.

Ken
Old 01-07-2005, 03:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I put synthetic in it this past spring. There was no evidence of debris in the pan, and I only have about 1500 miles on it since then. I don't know, and somewhat doubt, that matters.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

A couple weeks later and $3200 lighter in the wallet and I have a new heavy duty transmission in my Suncruiser. A rebuild job was only a few hundred less than the new one, and I have 2 years vs 6 months warranty. So far Certified Transmissions in Snellville GA has satisfied me. Now if I can find out why my dash heat ans air, my electric step, and my new battery disconnect solenoid all failed within a week or so of each other, maybe I could actually go somewhere.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Prices quoted here are right in line with the $3300 it cost to have our '95 Suncruiser E4OD rebuilt. That tranny has a long, long list of problems. My transmission guy recommended about 40 upgrades which involved replacing almost every part inside the transmission. Has worked well since but I won't ever stop wondering if it will fail again..........

'95 Itasca Suncruiser 37'
ottoracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have similar fears about most everything that fails and is repaired or replaced. If it failed once, it will do it again. I also get paranoid reading some of the post on this site. When will I have the same problems I have read about here? Will I be stranded again, incurring the wrath of the boss for not checking whatever it was before we left? Hopefully this heavy duty job will hold up for a few years. And my new disconnect solenoid , dash heat and air, and new power step electronics will all continue to function. And that's only trhe most recent repairs.