Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-02-2015, 02:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Ford Chassis Service Question

Where does one take their Class A gas motorhome for an oil change and other scheduled maintenance service? I assume any RV service center or Campingworld would work but are there other options similar to Jiffy Lube but can handle larger vehicles? I don't want to make a four or six week appointment for that kind of work.

Thanks,
Kent0826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I wouldn't allow Jiffy Lube or any similar business within 50ft of my RV. In San Diego, where I used to live, they're known as Jiffy Court because of the number of small claims court appearances the owners make.

For things like oil changes, find a good, honest, local mechanic. If you have the time, it's also gratifying to do your own oil changes and other simple jobs. It's not rocket science but does take attention to detail such as not cross threading the drain plug (#1 cause of claims against Jiffy Court) or over/under filling or using the wrong oil.

The first thing I do for all my vehicles is install a Fumoto drain valve so any dummy, including me, can do it.

Lee
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Look for shops that handle heavy trucks. We use a local tire shop that does heavy truck tires so they also set up to do oil changes, chassis lubes and brakes and inspections. For more complicated work find the local Ford Truck dealer. They can that plus warranty work.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Suggest to ask and scout around for a good independent repair shop that will do work on motorhomes. I have one that have used for several years with satisfaction. They have done oil changes, serpentine belts, diesel injection pump, and other work for me. They get my automotive work as well.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Several Ford dealerships near me worked on them. I thought they did a good job on ours, when we had it.
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If you do not do it yourself...which is the best.....Find a Ford Dealer that does big truck service, & has a big truck rack. Drive as far as you have to....but do not let a Yokel touch your expensive specialized piece of equipment. Ford repairs are guaranteed by ford dealers all over the US
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I use my local med duty Ford dealer. Great service and prices. Even have a drive on hoist. They check for bulletins and recalls on each visit too. I'm always getting discount coupons in the mail from Ford and the dealer.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:32 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I use my Ford Dealership. My mechanic has become a friend and is an avid RV'er. He treats my motorhome as if it is his and is very trustworthy. If he sees something wrong, he will fix or replace it. I wish he was able to work on my entire motorhome.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

If you have ever done an oil change on a regular car, you can do it on your MH. It is actually easier to do because there is plenty of room to get under the engine. You can buy everything you need at any Walmart or auto parts store for about $45. I use the recommended Ford Motorcraft oil/oil filter, same as the dealership would use. Doing the whole thing yourself will take less time than driving it to a shop.

At the CW near us you can make an appt. and wait for it. They charge about $70. The Ford dealership near us that works on the Ford Chassis wanted $125.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:43 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I agree use a Ford shop whenever you can, I am always surprised at the different prices quoted if you call several Ford Service Centers the numbers are all over the board. I have found oil/lube and filter from 65.00 to 160.00. I usually do it myself much cheaper. I also use Motorcraft Ford parts and filters only.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:54 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

They broke a sensor on my wives brand new car, 1st oil change and we ended up having to pay to have it repaired.
flangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I would have a talk with the manager, they should take care of it. Which Ford shop?
Old 02-05-2015, 05:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Easiest oil change I've ever done myself. Our Winnie on the F53 is high enough off the ground that I don't even need jack stands. Only problem was that the oil drained over a cross member making a mess. Solved this by buying a Fumota Oil Drain Valve. Replaced the drain plug with the valve that has a nipple for plastic tubing. Now, I can direct the oil flow. Air filter etc, just as easy. If you are the least bit inclined to DIY, don't be afraid.
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghutch View Post
I use my local med duty Ford dealer. Great service and prices. Even have a drive on hoist. They check for bulletins and recalls on each visit too. I'm always getting discount coupons in the mail from Ford and the dealer.
I use a med duty Ford dealer also. They've done great for me also. I don't trust anyone other than me or my Ford dealer to touch it. I generally do the oil and air filter change myself, etc. The big stuff I leave to them. They built it, they should be able to take care of it best.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:17 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

In my area, some of the truck and RV tire shops do oil changes. Like others, I installed the Fumoto oil drain valve and prefer to do it myself. I'll admit that taking the filter off still makes a mess though. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, service, chassis