Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Wink Foggy thermopane windows

Have a couple of thermopane windows fogging up pretty bad between the panes. Any suggestion's on whether to repair or replace? Found online a repair facility in Hudson, Fl I believe called Suncoast. Any knowledge about them? Also, any rough idea on cost's either way??
jomidabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I had the passenger front window replaced this last summer (2012) by Twin Bays Glass. They came out to my home where the RV was at that time and did all of the work. It took about 3 hours and the cost was just north of $300.
sailorbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Try this

Easyrvwindows.com
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHCam42 View Post
Try this

Easyrvwindows.com
RV Windows

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Suncoast does a great job. There are many on this forum which have used them. They have 50A parking spots, and generally get you in and out in an 8 hour day.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomidabr View Post
Have a couple of thermopane windows fogging up pretty bad between the panes. Any suggestion's on whether to repair or replace? Found online a repair facility in Hudson, Fl I believe called Suncoast. Any knowledge about them? Also, any rough idea on cost's either way??
This past March I had the opportunity to tour the Suncoast Facility. I had 2 friends there for glass work. My friends are very happy with Suncoast work so I can recommend them.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

My coach is sitting at Suncoast Designers as I type. I had five windows that need(ed) repair. Unfortunately one of the windows' glass was etched so they had to order new tempered glass. My rig may be there as long as 12 days. They appear to be friendly & competent but I don't know yet until I pick my rig up hopefully this Thursday. They do indeed have a 10 yr warranty that's pro-rated after the 1st year.

As far as in & out: That does not appear to be the case. They do seem to prioritize NOT with 1st in 1st out but rather quantity. Those with one window had a 24 hour turn-around. Those with more 48 or so. I'll post more once my rig is done.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I had one window repaired at Sun Coast this last April. The window they repaired was called the "passenger bedroom flap" and that was taken care of in 24 hrs at a cost of $81. The cost was lower than quoted because for that window they did not need to remove the whole window just the defective part. Looks great and I would recommend them.
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I had two defogged there at Suncoast about two weeks ago. Removed them at about 7 a.m. One morning and re-installed the next morning. Total cost was $434. Very capable and friendly outfit. They give tours at 1 pm.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

In Bend, Oregon, Dave Root RV Glass Repair, has worked on one of our dual pane windows for a problem not related to a broken seal and did excellent, reasonably priced work. Most of his work is related to broken seals, and we will be going back there next year to fix our first foggy window. I know others on this forum have had work done by him and have been pleased. http://daverootrvglassrepair.com/.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

If you're more of a do it yourselfer you can order replacement windows from Atwood Mobile. We replaced the large stationary passengers window a couple years ago for about $165.00 including the sealant and butyl tape. All the dealers and the Winnebago factory wanted to replace the entire assembly, including the sliding window, screen, 2 stationary windows, and frame for $2,000.00

We used this tutorial as a guide. You can find the butyl tape at almost any RV dealer parts department.

http://www.rampknot.net/window_repai...ndowRepair.pdf

If you go the do it yourself route make sure to order the Dual Pane window, not the single pane one. The people at Atood were very helpful. I made the order in the morning and it was shipped that day. Call the 800 number in the upper right hand corner of their home page, not the one in the tutorial.

RV Components, Gas Appliances, Marine Products, Chassis Components, Seating Systems, Windows and Doors from Atwood Mobile

I'd call Atwood around 8:00 am. The woman who fills the customer orders works from 5:30 am to 2:30 pm, but the switchboard doesn't open until around 8:00 am.

If you're doing it yourself outside pick a warm day (like 70+*). We did ours in 50* temps and the butyl tape was hard to get off. We had to use a hair dryer to warm it enough to peel off easily. In warmer weather it would have been much easier. The whole process took about 4 hours. The hardest part was removing the entire window assembly. It's sealed in there pretty good by the butyl tape. Even at 11 years old we didn't need any of the rubber gaskets.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

The process used by Dave Root in Oregon is to remove the window assembly, take it apart, clean the glass, seal the panes, put everything back together, and reinstall in the motorhome.

No new parts are needed unless the inside of the glass panes have become etched from long exposure to moisture collecting inbetween. If that is the case, then just new glass can be obtained from Atwood (as described in the above posting) and Dave will reassemble the window using the new glass and reinstall.

The problem with our window between the passenger window and the curbside door had to do with just the frame. Winnebago's solution was to install a complete new window unit for $600 (3 years ago). They would not deal with taking the unit apart, replacing the frame, reassembling the window unit, and reinstalling the window.

I got a new frame from Atwood for $90, including shipping, and $120 for Dave to replace the frame. BIG difference in the cost between the two methods to solve the problem.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Lazy Days in Fl also repairs windows as described by Cheryl above. I don't know how much they charge. I toured their glass shop a couple of months ago -- it's a pretty simple process.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Bisson

The problem with our window between the passenger window and the curbside door had to do with just the frame. Winnebago's solution was to install a complete new window unit for $600 (3 years ago). They would not deal with taking the unit apart, replacing the frame, reassembling the window unit, and reinstalling the window.
I'm not sure if I'm really qualified to comment on this thread, but we recently had one window in our passenger door and the large drivers side widow repaired here in Mesa AZ. The guys came to our site promptly at 8am.....popped the entire assembly from each side....removed the gasket(s) and separated the windows....thoroughly cleaned and polished each window....resealed, new gaskets...reassembled the widows in the frames....reinstalled and sealed the frames. They did not pump any argon or enert gasses into the windows.

All of this was cleaned-up and they were gone by 10am and it cost us $150 total (2 windows). These guys were efficient, certainly knew what they were doing and warranted their work.

Hey...what do I know....maybe the fix will last 6mo. or 6yrs....but at this price we can redo them every year for a long time versus 2 new windows at $600 each!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: We had 10 windows replaced by Suncoast last May. It did take about 5 or 6 days. If you have just one or two windows they can usually do them in a day or two.

Figure on about $200/window plus tax. Don't ask me why they charge tax, but they do. It has something to do with Florida.

How the air between the panes is replaced and how it is sealed makes a big difference. Otherwises you are right back where you started. It's possible Suncoast does better than the original manufacturer.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We had 2 fogged windows replaced at Suncoast a year ago, one overnight. Very professional and fair pricing. Poor guy next to us had been there 2 weeks as he needed a new window with a cutout in it and the supplier kept shipping Suncoast defective glass.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote