Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Bet they smell good too!!

Dieselclacker
Old 02-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

We cleaned ours with Mothers Aluminum polish, available at Walmart.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:16 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Guys

The real problem is the quailty of the product. I have a 97 honda accord with many miles and the head light covers are clear!!! Now wonder what the problem might be?? HA I used very fine sand paper 600 or 800 wet and dry used wet. It has helped some but needs more work. Maybe 1000. A paint and body friend said to put a coat of clear auto paint after you finish. Again I have not tried that.
Winne 33
WINNE33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:55 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

UPDATE:

I have replaced both headlight assemblies on our coach (2004 Horizon 40AD) with aftermarket (DOT approved) "projector" headlights. Since our coach uses the same headlight assemblies as 2001-2004 Nissan Frontier's, it was easy to find some at a reasonable price.

I was hesitant about the new "look" but I must say, they really look great and give the front of the coach a nice update.

I also added an HID kit to the low beams, and will enjoy better lighting without aiming glare at oncoming traffic. I opted for the 5000k temperature of Xenon HID bulbs and ballasts which is more white than blue. The projectors allow great control over aim as well.

I'll try to post some pictures in a few days.

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

Try Meguiars PlastX @ $6.40. Made for headlights, boat windows, etc. Rub it on with a little facial tissue, or soft cloth, wipe it of, buff it a little and you have a bright shine. Takes less than 5 minutes a light.

I did it both on a very fogged-up Suzuki Grand Vitara and a Town and Country. Both came out looking new.

I wouldn't take a chance on Acetone or similar product and possibly destroy what you are trying to fix -- over less than a 10 dollar bill. My lights cost over $130 each!
Old 03-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Older vehicles are probably under the required amount of light required by law in some cases all to save a few bucks for the manufacturer

Be very careful with acetone, it can ruin some paints and eat right through them as well as some plastics. Use with caution and on a test patch first.

Some good ideas here, I have used a buffer and fine compound with some success. It never seems to be as good as it was new. I will have to try a few of the suggestions.

It works really good cleaning damaged fiberglass before repairing and gelcoating though.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

I tried Acetone on our '96 Jeep GC. The lights look better than new. I finished them off with a fine polish.

On the MH, it didn't make a bit of difference. I will try the toothpaste and PlastX first but I think new ones are in the future.

I think it depends on what the lenses are made out of. I know that as a solvent, acetone will disolve "most" plastics and severely soften the rest. When I did the Jeep, I took my time and let the assembly dry between the two applications and I was very carefull to rotate the cloth and minimize how much I overlapped the passes plus I did NOT rub. I went in ONE direction only. It turned the rags a very dark yellow and the lights look white now.

BTW, does anyone know what type of vehicle the mfr. got my headlights from?

It is a '98 Gulfstream Sun Voyager Bus. Oh, sorry for posting this in the WB forum but it was related to the headlight thing.